More Birthdays...

matthewcplourde
matthewcplourde Member Posts: 32
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Yeah, I named the American Cancer Society as the official sponsor of my birthday a few years back.

Well, they just gave me another one! I turned 35 today... I'm ~11 years removed from squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue, and I'd like to thank all the doctors and nurses who put me back together again all those years ago.

I'll never forget the care and love showered upon me by my nurses during and after my stay in the hospital. They are as much to thank as the science that allowed me to survive.

Anyway, here's to you American Cancer Society and all the great medical professionals who ensure we keep having these birthdays!

Comments

• train-nut
    train-nut Member Posts: 101
    Agreed
    The kindness of our care team makes all the difference in the world. My thanks to them, especially Cindy, the best needle jockey around. Rich
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Happy birthday!!!
    Congratulations on celebrating another birthday!! It is so encouraging to read of someone who is 11 years post treatment. I will be one year post on the 28th of September and still in remission from SCC laryngeal and NSCLC in left lung. Hoping to be around for a long time.

I thank the doctors and nurses who treated me also everynight in my prayers. They were also fantastic and extremely caring.

Happy birthday Matthew and I expect to be saying the same to you in another 11 years ;-)

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • matthewcplourde
    matthewcplourde Member Posts: 32
    Glenna M said:

Happy birthday!!!
    Congratulations on celebrating another birthday!! It is so encouraging to read of someone who is 11 years post treatment. I will be one year post on the 28th of September and still in remission from SCC laryngeal and NSCLC in left lung. Hoping to be around for a long time.

I thank the doctors and nurses who treated me also everynight in my prayers. They were also fantastic and extremely caring.

Happy birthday Matthew and I expect to be saying the same to you in another 11 years ;-)

Stay well,
    Glenna

Glenna
    It's a date! :)
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Glenna M said:

Happy birthday!!!

Stay well,
    Glenna

can I attend?
    11 years from now I will be 15 years post treatment, can I attend?

Happy Birthday Matthew! hope you have the day you deserve.

I like to go by my new birthday also, that being the day I was Diagnosed. 1-24-96

john
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    ACS
    Very well said my friend
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Happy Birthday!
    Man, it gives a special significance now when they sing "and many more" at the end of the birthday song now, doesn't it? Hope your birthday's all you desire.
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Pam M said:

Happy Birthday!
    Man, it gives a special significance now when they sing "and many more" at the end of the birthday song now, doesn't it? Hope your birthday's all you desire.

Happy B-Day!
    Matthew,

Happy Birthday. Here's to many more for everyone!

And could not agree more on the ACS (and my medical staff) - awesome!

Positive thoughts!

Greg
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Greg53 said:

Happy B-Day!
    Matthew,

Happy Birthday. Here's to many more for everyone!

And could not agree more on the ACS (and my medical staff) - awesome!

Positive thoughts!

Greg

Hope you have a very Happy
    Hope you have a very Happy Birthday!! Wish I was only turning 35. :) I'm gonna start lying about my age and telling people that I am 62 and then they will say, wow! You look great! Never understood why women lie and say they are younger. Lol.
  • Glenna M

Hope you have a very Happy
    Hope you have a very Happy Birthday!! Wish I was only turning 35. :) I'm gonna start lying about my age and telling people that I am 62 and then they will say, wow! You look great! Never understood why women lie and say they are younger. Lol.

LOL
    Sweet, I love your idea...I am now officially 79 years old and damn I look good for my age LOL
  • Glenna M

Glenna
    It's a date! :)

It's in my date book
    I put the date..September 26,2021 in my date book to make sure I remember - lol - chemo brain, not old age ;-)

Everyone is welcome to join, we will make it a HUGE celebration for all of us.

Stay well,
    Glenna
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Glenna M said:

LOL
    Sweet, I love your idea...I am now officially 79 years old and damn I look good for my age LOL

I'm tellin ya Glenna it
    I'm tellin ya Glenna it makes sense. I am afraid if I tell people I am actually turning 43 they are gonna be like whoa, she looks older. Lol. This last year gave me wrinkles. I never had them before. :) at least the bride of Frankenstein grey hair is covered up again. How come birthdays come so fast as you get older??? Man it flies! :)
  • I'm tellin ya Glenna it
    I'm tellin ya Glenna it makes sense. I am afraid if I tell people I am actually turning 43 they are gonna be like whoa, she looks older. Lol. This last year gave me wrinkles. I never had them before. :) at least the bride of Frankenstein grey hair is covered up again. How come birthdays come so fast as you get older??? Man it flies! :)

The opposite for me...
    People actually think I'm alot younger than I really am... I tell them I'm even older:

"It's the mileage, not the years."
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557

The opposite for me...
    People actually think I'm alot younger than I really am... I tell them I'm even older:

"It's the mileage, not the years."

Happy Birthday Matthew!
    Celebrate every day as if it is your birthday. Live every day as if you are 25. And know that your 11 years is a gift to all of us. Thank you.
    Kim
  • Glenna M

I'm tellin ya Glenna it

Wrinkles
    I hear you on the wrinkles, I'm in my late (very late ;) 50's and already had some wrinkles and laugh lines but this past year has really NOT been kind to my face - lol. I not only got more wrinkles but I now have the worst case of dry skin I have ever had, lotions help for a few hours but seem to wear off quickly...even Aquaphor. My face is still too thin from the weight loss so my skin sags a little. Hey, I forgot, I'm 79 so I look good - lol. I'm alive and doing pretty good so I will accept the wrinkles and not complain...too much ;-)

I've seen your pictures on Facebook and absolutely love your hair. Mine is so baby fine, and always has been, so I have trouble finding a style I like.

Stay well
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Glenna M said:

Wrinkles
    I hear you on the wrinkles, I'm in my late (very late ;) 50's and already had some wrinkles and laugh lines but this past year has really NOT been kind to my face - lol. I not only got more wrinkles but I now have the worst case of dry skin I have ever had, lotions help for a few hours but seem to wear off quickly...even Aquaphor. My face is still too thin from the weight loss so my skin sags a little. Hey, I forgot, I'm 79 so I look good - lol. I'm alive and doing pretty good so I will accept the wrinkles and not complain...too much ;-)

I've seen your pictures on Facebook and absolutely love your hair. Mine is so baby fine, and always has been, so I have trouble finding a style I like.

Stay well

Happy Birthday!
    Hey, Congrats on the B-day. You give us all strength and hope! :) Bid Hugs!

Charles