AMAZING "Race" Day, 9/25, Evansville, IN

Options
Marsha Mulvey
Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It truly was an AMAZING day! The Komen Greater Evansville Race was held this morning, and a beautiful morning it was. We had a low temp of 54 (coolest since May) and it quickly rose to the 70's with bright blue skies throughout.

BRAGGING RIGHTS are here in southern Indiana! This was the largest per-capita participation in the country! AND, this is not the first time we've achieved that. Today we had 14,600 plus 1100 "Survivors" who met, walked, and ran. Now I realize that 15,700 doesn't sound like that much compared to some events. But..."Greater Evansville" includes 28 counties in Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois (the tri-state). Evansville is about 150,000 people strong and all of the outlying areas only include about 50,000 more. So pretty good numbers with just under 200,000 to pull from. Come on, GIVE IT UP for Evansville and our neighbors!

Due to "technical" problems, I arrived about 5 minutes late and made my way through the crowd to the gathering of pink-shirted "Survivors". A SEA OF PINK, amazing! There were a couple of short speeches with encouraging words, several inspirational songs, a color guard, and the National Anthem was sung by a barber shop quartet. Then we walked down Main St. and I rejoined my son, daughter, and friends to continue our day. We talked to many others and spent a little time looking at and buying Komen merchandise. After that it was time to proceed another 6 blocks to the starting line, very near the Ohio River and our Museum. There were some recognitions made while everyone was gathering and then we started - we walked the short, one mile race. Looked as though about half of the people opted for this, while the other half did the 5K. When finished we headed back to the car (walking another 6 or 8 blocks) just to drive to Cracker Barrel for a late breakfast. I guess we walked it off BEFORE we ate it.

If you've never participated before, I would urge you to do so. It is so UPLIFTING, ENCOURAGING, and yes, INSPIRATIONAL. This was not my first time, but obviously more meaningful than ever before! I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to do it this year, but OH SO glad I was there with family and friends beside me!

Because the money donated is so well used, I'll lay down the gauntlet and challenge everyone to beat "Greater Evansville" out of our "per-capita" bragging rights.

God bless us all, Marsha

Comments

• sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    I'm walking tomorrow in the Chicago "Race"!!

Blessings,
    Sally
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    sal314 said:

Awesome!
    I'm walking tomorrow in the Chicago "Race"!!

Blessings,
    Sally

Way to go Marsha and Greater
    Way to go Marsha and Greater Evansville.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Woooo Hoooo Marsha....you go
    Woooo Hoooo Marsha....you go girl!
    This board is going to sleep good tonight with you, Sally and Chen!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Marsha,
    Good for you. I always enjoy the Komen walk. This will be my first year as a survivor. Hugs, Jean
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Woooo Hoooo Marsha....you go
    Woooo Hoooo Marsha....you go girl!
    This board is going to sleep good tonight with you, Sally and Chen!

Loved reading this Marsha!
    Loved reading this Marsha! Thanks for sharing this!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Marsha,
    Good for you. I always enjoy the Komen walk. This will be my first year as a survivor. Hugs, Jean

Marsha .. tears flowing down my cheeks .. I am
    overwhelming by the commitments of others, and the sea of Pink.

Vicki Sam
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Marsha .. tears flowing down my cheeks .. I am
    overwhelming by the commitments of others, and the sea of Pink.

Vicki Sam

Hi Marsha, sorry I missed
    Hi Marsha, sorry I missed this post earlier. I have never been to a walk yet, it seems i was always in chemo or sick or too tired. But, you are also in treatment and you made it and even walked a mile! I have heard that the good feelings from these walks are amazing. I am not sure if one is coming up in October, but there is a big walk here on Mothers day. Sounds like a lovely day. take care
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Way to go Marsha and Greater
    Way to go Marsha and Greater Evansville.

Wow Marsha! What a
    Wow Marsha! What a wonderful day! Thanks for walking for us!

Hugs, Jan
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Marsha
    a huge thanks for all of us. We were there in spirit! Congrats!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Marsha
    a huge thanks for all of us. We were there in spirit! Congrats!
    {{hugs}} Char

Thanks Marsha! I just saw
    Thanks Marsha! I just saw the pictures and what a great day it looks like it was!

Lex♥