Hernia Questions

Options
C Dixon
C Dixon Member Posts: 201
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I think I might have a hernia. I have had three surgeries in the past two years. The spot I am worried about is along my original colon resection scar between my belly button and pubic bone. The scar is about three inches.

I have the inverted L incision from the HIPEC a year ago and my liver resection on Aug. 18th followed the same line. I have almost no fat above my belly button; it has all migrated south, which is new for me. My abdominal muscles have always been very strong from power yoga. Of course, they are not so strong any more.

I was concerned about this before the liver resection and asked my onc and he made me do the roll up test and said no. But tonight, there is a weird looking bump under my belly button.

I just feel gross.........probably because I just looked at hernias under Google Images. I know, I know.....last thing I should have done.

I will see the Duke Onc on the 4th so I can ask him then and the liver surgeon is right there too if I need to see him. I will be starting radiation next week for 5 1/2 weeks with Xeloda for the first time. I don't want to deal with a hernia.

Anyone out there who has had a hernia and can shed some light on this for me - I would love to hear from you.

Catherine

Comments

• AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Sorry Catherine
    I hope you can get this resolved soon.
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Catherine -

Check out your problem here: UOAA

You'll find loads of info regarding hernias, adhesions, etc. Most of
    the board contributors aren't cancer victims and have had ostomies
    for other reasons, but the problems of abdominal surgery and
    resections are the same.

Good luck!

John
  • Lilmiss82
    Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    John23 said:

Catherine -

Check out your problem here: UOAA

You'll find loads of info regarding hernias, adhesions, etc. Most of
    the board contributors aren't cancer victims and have had ostomies
    for other reasons, but the problems of abdominal surgery and
    resections are the same.

Good luck!

John

Hi Catherine,
    I do not have a hernia but I do have a small round bump on my incension from my liver resection. When I first felt it I freaked out and thought oh no it's a met! So I showed my doctor ASAP and she laughed and said it is an internal stitch that didn't absorb in my body. I don't know if this may be what you have but just wanted to share with you:) Melissa
  • chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    Options
    Hi Catherine, Yes, I have a
    Hi Catherine, Yes, I have a surgical hernia, labels as such by my onc and surgeon. They both saw it and agree that unless it causes me a problem, it is best to leave it alone. The surgeon said if there is a lot of pain, I would know what it was and to go directly to the ER. It has been over a year and I have had no problem. Apparently it is not unusual after abdominal surgery. I have not had any radiation, but have had lots of chemo in this time! The hernia also shows up on the CT scans, so everyone involved is very aware of it! Best to you. Jean
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Options

Hi Catherine, Yes, I have a
    Hi Catherine, Yes, I have a surgical hernia, labels as such by my onc and surgeon. They both saw it and agree that unless it causes me a problem, it is best to leave it alone. The surgeon said if there is a lot of pain, I would know what it was and to go directly to the ER. It has been over a year and I have had no problem. Apparently it is not unusual after abdominal surgery. I have not had any radiation, but have had lots of chemo in this time! The hernia also shows up on the CT scans, so everyone involved is very aware of it! Best to you. Jean

Catherine,
    I have multiple

Catherine,
    I have multiple hernia's along my original ree\section scar and my illeostomy site. The one on the ostomy site is buging, so I am scheduled for repair of all the abdominal hernia's on 12/6. with luck they will be abole to do the surgery laprocopicaly, if not they wil have to open me up again on the same site as the resection. BUt it they have to do the open surgery you can bet Iam going to push for a tummy tuck at the same time. My tummy is a mess from all the scarring. Make sre you see your doc about it so that is does not end up to be an emergency situation.
    Kathy
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    khl8 said:

Catherine,
    I have multiple

Catherine,
    I have multiple hernia's along my original ree\section scar and my illeostomy site. The one on the ostomy site is buging, so I am scheduled for repair of all the abdominal hernia's on 12/6. with luck they will be abole to do the surgery laprocopicaly, if not they wil have to open me up again on the same site as the resection. BUt it they have to do the open surgery you can bet Iam going to push for a tummy tuck at the same time. My tummy is a mess from all the scarring. Make sre you see your doc about it so that is does not end up to be an emergency situation.
    Kathy

I just had a hernia repair
    I just had a hernia repair in February, it made my belly button protrude like I had an outie. But surgeon said if it bothered me let's get it fixed, turned out it was bigger then he first thought and said it was good that we did the surgery now. It was outpatient and glad I got it done.
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Hey Catherine,
    First off -

Hey Catherine,
    First off - sorry the Gamecocks lost.
    If my wound from HIPEC ever heals I'll definitely have a hernia just above where my belly button used to be. My surgeon said that the good news is that the scar tissue is tough and should hold it in for a long time while I'm on chemo. That's what passes for good news these days.

I know what you mean about "not so strong" abs. My sit up days are over for quite a while.
    From now on just google 'puppies' or 'flowers' or something like that.

Good luck with Xeloda.
    Take care -- Roger
  • reinaldok
    reinaldok Member Posts: 4
    Options
    My experience
    More than two years after my colon resection, I developed a huge hernia. I consulted a number of doctors and they all advised that the hernia was too big and to leave it alone, since it was not interfering with my daily routine. A comment from one medical assistant convinced me that I really had to have something done. The lady jokingly said to me, "Oh I see your in your eighth month". I finally found that the Tampa VA would possibly do the operation. Before operating they gave me a very extensive examination in order to be certain that I would survive a fairly complicated procedure. They did the operation and now I am once again able to wear properly my trousers. I did a bit of research on this subject and did find a hospital in England (for quite a large fee) that specializes in operating on these humongous hernias.
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Crow71 said:

Hey Catherine,
    First off -

Hey Catherine,
    First off - sorry the Gamecocks lost.
    If my wound from HIPEC ever heals I'll definitely have a hernia just above where my belly button used to be. My surgeon said that the good news is that the scar tissue is tough and should hold it in for a long time while I'm on chemo. That's what passes for good news these days.

I know what you mean about "not so strong" abs. My sit up days are over for quite a while.
    From now on just google 'puppies' or 'flowers' or something like that.

Good luck with Xeloda.
    Take care -- Roger

My Poor Chickens
    They sure gave me an exciting game. That Garcia..........I don't know what we are going to do with him. At least they didn't beat us any worse than they beat Clemson. After all, that game is the most important!

Catherine

PS: We are the National Champions in Baseball though and that is my favorite Gamecock sport. No one drinks and vomits there!
  • Eve1
    Eve1 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hernia's
    After 2 surgeries In 08, I developed some large hernia's. I had a HIPEC surgery in June and the surgeon attempted to fix the hernia's. He used some type of web to cover them and attached the web to strong tissue. We're not sure how long this repair will last because I'm back on Chemo again. I'm just glad for any time at all! Hopes this helps.