reassurance and guideance needed: for aftercare

Options
wifeforlife
wifeforlife Member Posts: 189
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
ok long story ...made alittle shorter. years ago ( way before cancer) a dentist broke off a file in one of my husbands teeth while performing a root canal. it is now infected...they have him on antibiotics. Options: 1. surgery to try and remove the file. 2. pull tooth.
here's where I need help.... if the antibiotics clear up the infection, should I fight to postpone both of those proceedure and see if we get another infection?... I'm asking because I want to know if the further he gets out from treatment does that increase his healing in the jaw area??? or is it always going to be as bad as it is now???.. I mean if we end up having to have surgery is his healing going to be better if I can push it out 2 yrs?????
thanks, wife

Comments

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Definitely a question for the radiology oncologist
    Let us know what he says, please.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

Definitely a question for the radiology oncologist
    Let us know what he says, please.

My dentist made sure I was
    My dentist made sure I was getting treated by people that have a lot of experience with HNC radiated patients. (he was part of my tumor board) My dentist even sent me to get my teeth pulled to a dentist OUTSIDE his own hospital because he wanted to see a person with better knowledge of rads patients. I would ask the RO but not sure that he/she would know. I would expect my dental team to know the answer to that question.

Man, that makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it. Hope your husband isn't in too much pain. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • stevenl
    stevenl Member Posts: 587
    Options

My dentist made sure I was
    My dentist made sure I was getting treated by people that have a lot of experience with HNC radiated patients. (he was part of my tumor board) My dentist even sent me to get my teeth pulled to a dentist OUTSIDE his own hospital because he wanted to see a person with better knowledge of rads patients. I would ask the RO but not sure that he/she would know. I would expect my dental team to know the answer to that question.

Man, that makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it. Hope your husband isn't in too much pain. Good luck and keep us posted.

Advice
    Hey Wife,

You can probably get a different opinion from every type of doc you go see. I think sweet is right to ask both the RO and Dentist Or Oral surgeon.

Best,
    Steve