Bok Choy & Kale Recipes

jazzy1
jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
I'm delving into unknown territory with these vegies and thought some of you have a "special" way to prepare. I've got a wok and steamer and bet this route may work too. Seems like so many cookbooks suggest saute in oil with spices, but thought I'd ask you all the experts.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Jan

Comments

• GracieGold
    GracieGold Member Posts: 23 Member
    Cooking with greens
    I have some ideas for you. One is that I generally use only a tiny bit of oil (or none)to saute my veggies and then I add some organic mushroom broth. It adds a great flavor and even "browns" the veggies. It is available in boxes in the natural food stores. The brand I use is Pacific Natural Foods. After opening the box, since I don't use the whole thing, I freeze the balance in ice cube trays for easy access to small amounts.

Kale seems a little tough for me so I chop it up in very narrow shreds to add to stir fries and other dishes. Then it doesn't dominate the recipe. Bok Choy is a milder green that works well in any recipe.

Here is a yummy spinach recipe that would work well with any greens:
    Spinach and Cranberries (Serves One)

1 Tbs Oil
    black pepper
    2 Large Handfuls Spinach, washed & torn
    1 Tbs Soy Sauce
    1 Tbs (or less) Maple Syrup
    sliced & sautéed onions, garlic
    1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
    Top with chopped roasted & salted almonds
    Run the almonds around in your food processor until pretty finely chopped. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and slowly saute the onions & garlic. Add spinach. Use tongs to coat the spinach in the hot oil. Add the tamari and maple syrup, black pepper and the thyme if you’re using it. Toss in the cranberries and mix everything up really well. Turn heat to low until spinach is lightly cooked.
    Serve immediately topped with chopped almonds.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

Cooking with greens
    I have some ideas for you. One is that I generally use only a tiny bit of oil (or none)to saute my veggies and then I add some organic mushroom broth. It adds a great flavor and even "browns" the veggies. It is available in boxes in the natural food stores. The brand I use is Pacific Natural Foods. After opening the box, since I don't use the whole thing, I freeze the balance in ice cube trays for easy access to small amounts.

Kale seems a little tough for me so I chop it up in very narrow shreds to add to stir fries and other dishes. Then it doesn't dominate the recipe. Bok Choy is a milder green that works well in any recipe.

Here is a yummy spinach recipe that would work well with any greens:
    Spinach and Cranberries (Serves One)

1 Tbs Oil
    black pepper
    2 Large Handfuls Spinach, washed & torn
    1 Tbs Soy Sauce
    1 Tbs (or less) Maple Syrup
    sliced & sautéed onions, garlic
    1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
    Top with chopped roasted & salted almonds
    Run the almonds around in your food processor until pretty finely chopped. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and slowly saute the onions & garlic. Add spinach. Use tongs to coat the spinach in the hot oil. Add the tamari and maple syrup, black pepper and the thyme if you’re using it. Toss in the cranberries and mix everything up really well. Turn heat to low until spinach is lightly cooked.
    Serve immediately topped with chopped almonds.

Yummie!
    Gracie,

Thanks for the great ideas!!! I'm trying bok choy tonight with a little stir fry. Does the organic mushroom broth come in a can or plastic container? Sounds interesting!

Also, the spinach recipe looks even better as I have a love for spinach and cranberries. Never would have thought about maple syrup.

Happy eating~
    Jan
  • Rewriter
    Rewriter Member Posts: 493 Member
    jazzy1 said:

Yummie!
    Gracie,

Thanks for the great ideas!!! I'm trying bok choy tonight with a little stir fry. Does the organic mushroom broth come in a can or plastic container? Sounds interesting!

Also, the spinach recipe looks even better as I have a love for spinach and cranberries. Never would have thought about maple syrup.

Happy eating~
    Jan

Delicious and simple kale recipe
    I had this dish at a "fancy" restaurant. Although I was not sure I would like the salad, I loved it so much I ordered a second one.

Buy the freshest kale you can find, discard the stems and toughest leaves, and shred the rest. Mix the uncooked leaves with really good extra virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. Toss and eat. Believe me, this is so delicious.

Jill
  • llight
    llight Member Posts: 99
    Bok choy & Kale
    I stir-fry in a cast-iron pan w/ olive oil:

Onion
    Bok choy
    Cabbage
    Mushrooms
    Garlic
    Tofu - diced
    and anything else you'd like to add or replace

then I stir in Whole Foods Thai Yellow Curry sauce (comes in a glass jar, sold at health food stores or upscale food markets). It's out of this world.

As for kale I add it to my lentil soup. I always makes sure to de-stalk it.
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Jan
    Here is one of my own recipies for bok choy.

Saute thin strips of chicken breast in one table spoon of olive oil with some grated ginger add thin strips of shatake mushrooms, onions, strips of carrots, chinese pea pods season to taste and at the end add some chicken broth(average because you don't want soup) bring to a boil and then add bok choy. Turn cooker off because bok choy cooks very fast.
    You can also use shrimp, but you put the shrimp a little before the bok choy because shrimp cooks very quickly. Let me know what you think. j