NEEDLE MAYHEM

Options
brokencolonbeatingheart13
brokencolonbeatingheart13 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
im 20 years old and two days before my birthday my mother was diagnosed with stage IV colon and liver cancer. shes a fighter, im mearly her at-home EMT. ive given up crying, but i havent given up faith. this friday will be her fifth chemo treatment but the blows keep coming.
Treatment one- sick
treatment two- fine
treatment three- fine
treatment four- sick

she went to doctor today and they found that she has high blood pressure and anemia. during her last blood test, her white and red blood cell counts were normal. today her red blood cell count was 7% whatever that means. she goes for a blood transfusion tomorrow morning so she can stay on track with her treatments.

i hate cancer.
it loves my mom.

Comments

• HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's super hard to watch
    a parent go through this, isn't it? I watched my dad go through his treatments, too. I went through it myself, too.

I'm sorry about your mom getting cancer. This is one club nobody wants to join, but we're glad you're here.

Chemo affects people so differently. Some end up in the hospital with dehydration, allergies, blockages, severe nausea and vomiting, etc.... the list goes on and on.

I pray your mom has an easier time of getting chemo. It sucks when it play havoc on those you love.

Hugs

Holly
  • Luv2lunch
    Luv2lunch Member Posts: 270
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Like you, I am taking care of my Mom in my home. She has rectal cancer. She had her good days and bad with the chemo. Towards the end of her chemo she got really sick. She needed to be hospitalized for dehydration and she also needed a blood transfusion. It went ok for my mom and I know your mom will be ok also.
    I know mom appreciates me being here for her and I know your mom appreciates you too. Hang in there, ok?
    You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Stay strong.
    Linda and Ellie
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Chemo
    When I started chemo,I was ok,but at the end of the treatments I was sick as a dog.I would go home take a pain pill,and sleep.I did chemo,and radiation at the same time,and it effects everyone different.I had low blood pressure,and my blood counts were low.The doctor had me drink power aid,orange juice,and eat a banana every day.That helped,but I still had to rest.I hope this helps.I hate cancer too.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Welcome to this forum. You are doing a good thing for your Mom just by being here; there is loads of information + support here. I am sorry you have to go through this. I have 2 daughters; one is 22 + the other is almost 17. I hate that they have to go through this with me. Take good care.
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Sorry to hear about your mother. My kids go through the same. My second daughter was 6 weeks before her 20th birthday when I was diagnosed last year.

My daughters are just turning 21 and the oldest just turned 24 last week, and my sons one just turned 18 and the youngest will be 16 in a few weeks. I'm very sick on chemo every cycle. I hate for them to see that. We've had many surprises along the way. They've spent plenty of time visiting me at the hospital or taking me to medical appointments.

It is wonderful you are at home for her. My girls have taken turns moving back home in the last year to help out. It means a lot to me - both the help, and the time I get to spend with them that I didn't have when they didn't live home any more. I'm sure your mother is very happy to have you home and helping.

I'm sorry she has to go for a blood transfusion. Hang in there. Keep the faith for your mom - I'm sure she's fighting for you.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Your mom
    I'm so sorry your mom is feeling so sick from the treatments. It may be that she will have some improvement once she has transfusions and isn't so anemic. Before my surgery I was extremely anemic and felt really worn down all the time.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    So sorry for your mother and you having to go through this. Dealing with a parent with cancer is so hard on a child as this has happened to me also. You and mom are in my prayers. Let us know how she is doing.

Kim
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Hun
    My son and my daughter understand your feelings. As a mother, I'm so sorry you have to go through this, none of us would ever wish this burden upon our children, we are just given no choice.
    The cancer and the chemo will have it's ups and downs, just try to look forward to the ups, and during the downs?, believe that the chemo is working it's way at shrinking those evil cancer cells.
    And know that sometimes the chemo tends to lead the blood pressure high, although I had high blood pressure before chemo, it seems to have worsened during the chemo, just make sure she takes her pills, I tend to forget mine (I of course blame this on chemo fog).
    I'm sorry that you have to stay so strong, but glad you have the ability to do so for your mom.
    Thinking of you and your Mom,
    Winter Marie
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry that you had to find us, but now that you are here we are glad you are.

I have no experience with chemo, so I am no help there, however there are lots of folks here who are more than helpful.

Also know that you can raise other questions or even just vent or request emotional support. All are available from the fine folks who participate here.

This is definately a scarey roller coaster ride not only for the patient but also the care giver. Write down as much as you can daily about how mom is feeling, responding to meds, etc. That way you have details for doc. Also document all doc appointments so that you can then review later as needed.

Hang in there. We will try to help you and your mom as we can.

Marie who loves kitties