Mammosite or EBRT

sunrisema
sunrisema Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all you wonderfull women! I was diagnosed with DCIS after a biopsy, just had a lumpectomy (with a clean margin) and a sentinel node biopsy (also clean). I am now facing a decision about radiation. Anyone tried the mammosite option? Any bad side effects? regrets? recurrence? Also, is there anyone who decided against mammogram...and why? Thanks...and love to you all.

Comments

• ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    I was not given
    that choice. I had the radiation after my lumpectomy. I had 33 treatments and once I got started the time passed quickly. I did have some burning of the skin but it was tolerable. For me the fatigue was bad. But then each of us is different. I am sure once you get the facts and answers from all of the sisters on this site you will decision that is right for you. Remember,you are a survivor and you can do this!

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    ladyg said:

I was not given
    that choice. I had the radiation after my lumpectomy. I had 33 treatments and once I got started the time passed quickly. I did have some burning of the skin but it was tolerable. For me the fatigue was bad. But then each of us is different. I am sure once you get the facts and answers from all of the sisters on this site you will decision that is right for you. Remember,you are a survivor and you can do this!

Hugs,
    Georgia

I don't know a thing about
    I don't know a thing about mammoste but just wanted to say that I wish you well and you are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I'm not sure
    if we're talking about the same thing but my sister has a recurrence of DCIS in her other breast. First time around she had 6 weeks of rads but this time she is having lumpectomy on Oct 14 and her surgeon and radiologist are putting in something where she'll only have 5 treatments (she thinks 2x/day). She also took Tamoxifen for 5 years. She is optomistic about this new form of getting rads. She is seeing the same surgeon I had and he and the radiologist actually were the ones who got permission at the hospital to get this procedure started. I'm happy for her and wish you the best!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Mammosite is one kind of brachytherapy
    Hi Sunrisema. I too had DCIS. After lumpectomy surgery I had brachytherapy irradiation, not with Mammosite but with multicatheters. I know it's confusing but I did a lot of research talking to breast cancer survivors about their kinds of radiation and I knew I wanted brachytherapy. It means "shortened therapy". There are 4 kinds and they are, oldest to newest: multicatheter, Mammosite, Contura, and SAVI.

The total radiation dosage ends up being the same as the 33 days of whole breast irradiation. One benefit is that it avoids radiation to heart, lungs, and ribs more than any other kind of radiation. AND it only lasts 5 days, twice a day.

You can send me a personal message if you'd like to know more about my experience. Suffice it to say that I want as many women as possible to know about this terrific option. You need to find a radiation oncologist who is experienced with whatever kind of brachytherapy you may end up choosing.

~~Connie~~