One Day Up - Next Day Down

padee6339
padee6339 Member Posts: 763
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went to my Oncologist yesterday. I've been pretty much out of breath the past month or so, and she didn't like the way I was breathing. The nurse took a blood oxygen reading and it was 87, enough to put me on oxygen said the doctor. She said as soon as insurance approves and they got a company to deliver I would have the oxygen. That was at about 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Last night while I was eating my dinner there is a knock on the door and there is the technician with the oxygen equipment. There is the big hulking unit that ker chunks constantly, a 3 hour back-up unit, a 15 pound portable unit and 2 backups for that one. About 50 feet of cord to go with it. According to the technician, the doctor wants me on this 24/7. Well, asked I, what about work? She said they could also hook a machine up at work. I work in a cube farm and share a cubicle. I can't have this thing ker chunking all over the office. I told her there was no way. I told her that she can report back to the doctor that I will wear the thing from when I get home to when I either go to bed or wake up in the morning, depending on how the cat treats the tubes. Last week I had a huge water leak in my house and neighbor men who knew nothing at all tried to fix it and made it worse. Had to replace the refrigerator. Found the leak in the bathroom and had Rotor Rooter fix it. No more mopping up buckets of water at midnight. Now this. I think my name is Job. What will next week bring? Right now I am looking into STD and LTD to see if I can do this oxygen 24/7 like they want. Lord, I wish I could just retire. I am just so tired. Tired of fighting the cancer for the past 2 years and now COPD. I need a shoulder to cry on and a big hug from someone, but living alone, that don't happen. Sorry for dumping, but today it is all getting to me.
:-( Pat

Comments

• heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    did you feel that?
    that was a huge hug from me to you, pat! we all get overwhelmed sometimes, and this is the place to vent. know that we care and are always here for you!
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Lots of hugs for you Pat!!
    You must be exausted, I am so sorry you are lonely. Sounds a little like you need to have some fun. I am sure that with this oxegen thing that sounds silly, I would seriously talk to your doc about how you are feeling, and I'm sure you will get some good "food for thought" from some of the real "gurus" on this board and don't forget about Jesus. Love, hugs, and good thoughts.
    God bless you,
    Alison
  • padee6339

Lots of hugs for you Pat!!
    You must be exausted, I am so sorry you are lonely. Sounds a little like you need to have some fun. I am sure that with this oxegen thing that sounds silly, I would seriously talk to your doc about how you are feeling, and I'm sure you will get some good "food for thought" from some of the real "gurus" on this board and don't forget about Jesus. Love, hugs, and good thoughts.
    God bless you,
    Alison

I Did
    I did feel the hug and thank you ladies. Right now I just think I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have a lot of work at home to do before Saturday and I just don't have the stamina to do it, but it HAS to be done.
    I love each and every one of you gals for being here for me and for everyone!
    Pat
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Pat sending bunches of big
    Pat sending bunches of big cyber hugs. Sounds like permanent disability might be the way to go, but I think you need a good attorney to get it, someone who specializes in that.

Pat did the insurance approve those tanks? We used those in the dental office. There are fairly easy oxygen tanks which can be used to travel or used at work. I've seen them, why didnt they approve it for you? I think those portable tanks can be easy to manage. I know you are so worn out and down, but maybe you can get the doctors office to fight for you with that darn insurance company.
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Here's a great big hug. I
    Here's a great big hug. I know it gets overwhelming at times but stay strong....this too shall pass. I hope you can at least get STD to just relax and deal with one thing at a time, your health. God bless. You are in my prayers.
    Sparkle
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Thoughts
    Thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • amybeth4
    amybeth4 Member Posts: 14
    Oxygen
    Hi Pat! I manage a Home Respiratory company so I am familiar with the oxygen equipment that you have. If your oxygen level is 87%, well, that is just too low. When the O2 levels are low like that, EVERYTHING in your body suffers and has to work harder to try and make more oxygen. Your doctor wants you to wear it 24/7 because of that. Ask your company to evaluate you for an "OCD", oxygen conserving device, and M6's. These are the small bottles that you carry in a bag and would be much easier for you to handle at work. Untreated and/or poorly managed hypoxia can lead to many other illnesses which are much harder to treat than the hypoxia. High blood pressure, heart disease, stroke to name a few. Believe me, I am not trying to preach to you about using your oxygen... only you can decide whether you will wear it or not. I just wanted to let you know what could happen from NOT wearing it and let you know of an alternative to the big bottles. I hope all goes well for you. Maybe you won;t need it for long :)
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I'm hugging you Pat!
    I'm so sorry for all that you're having to deal with. Please don't give up hope. I'm praying that your oxygen levels get back to normal so you don't need that machine.

Keepting you in prayer,

Sylvia
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Wow girl, you are dealing
    Wow girl, you are dealing with so much. Do the best you can, be as good to yourself as possible and know that many cyberhugs are coming your way.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Pat,
    Sending you a big hug!!! Don't apologize for dumping, that's why we are here. Let me know when you feel up to it and I can come down that way for lunch or something. Hugs, Jean
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Pat,
    Sending you a big hug!!! Don't apologize for dumping, that's why we are here. Let me know when you feel up to it and I can come down that way for lunch or something. Hugs, Jean

Big Hugs Pat, having to wear
    Big Hugs Pat, having to wear oxygen is not fun. Amy is right though. I was thinking of those smaller devices that are more convenient. More hugs pat!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Hi Pat,
    Sending you

Hi Pat,
    Sending you thousands of {{{{hugs}}}}. So you have them when ever you want them. I seen on T.V. a machine that draws in air and makes oxygen. It weighs about 4 or 5 lbs I think. Cant you get one of these. It would fit right under you desk. And maybe you wouldn't need any of the other tanks. I sure hope you are feeling better real soon. Take care Kay
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Me again here is a site to look at.
    http://www.medicaldepartmentstore.com/Portable-Oxygen-Concentrators-s/33.htm

Hi its me again i found this site take a look about oxygen machines. It looks like it would be easier for you and allot smaller.
    and shipping is free. Hope it helps Kay
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    amybeth4 said:

Oxygen
    Hi Pat! I manage a Home Respiratory company so I am familiar with the oxygen equipment that you have. If your oxygen level is 87%, well, that is just too low. When the O2 levels are low like that, EVERYTHING in your body suffers and has to work harder to try and make more oxygen. Your doctor wants you to wear it 24/7 because of that. Ask your company to evaluate you for an "OCD", oxygen conserving device, and M6's. These are the small bottles that you carry in a bag and would be much easier for you to handle at work. Untreated and/or poorly managed hypoxia can lead to many other illnesses which are much harder to treat than the hypoxia. High blood pressure, heart disease, stroke to name a few. Believe me, I am not trying to preach to you about using your oxygen... only you can decide whether you will wear it or not. I just wanted to let you know what could happen from NOT wearing it and let you know of an alternative to the big bottles. I hope all goes well for you. Maybe you won;t need it for long :)

Hi Pat have you been able to
    Hi Pat have you been able to check out the OCD and M6's that Amybeth suggested? I didnt know what they were called but I knew I had seen them before. I have a cousin who uses one of those portables. Please let us know how you are doing. Thinking about you.
  • shy violet
    shy violet Member Posts: 167
    Important Tip!!!!
    When my mom was fighting ovarian and had pump running 24/7, I bout had a cardiac on the power bill...I would suggest two REAL important things...call your power company and see if you qualify for special or lower rates because of your illness and having to use oxygen...ALSO be sure they put you on a list that your house gets priority in a power outage or if there is a month you face disconnection for financial reasons that they have to work with you and can't just disconnect you...

Now, love and hope being sent your way...some weeks just...well, you know...love, Shy
  • padee6339
    amybeth4 said:

Oxygen

Amybeth
    Thank you for your input. I told them that I know there's a smaller tank to take out, but they aren't really listening. I got a call from them this morning wanting to set up an appointment, but they won't do it in the evening or on a weekend, so I won't get a follow-up from them. I know I should use it at least over night, but I am really afraid the cat will play with the tubes - they are clear plastic, but shine when lights hit them. Temptation galore, especially if I move. I am going to try to sleep in my recliner this weekend and keep the machine on. I will take the huge "portable" one with me this weekend in the car, as I have to drive over to the Eastern shore to pick up my Mom. A friend is driving her as far as Easton, and we usually meet at the Bob Evans there. Its about half way and I don't have to take a day off from work. I am trying to hard to build up sick leave and vacation leave. I will call them about a smaller bottle, but the technician didn't think they had them. She did have the smaller bag, which she tried to get the larger tank in (it was her first solo setup). Of course, that's the one I get.

I will most definitely ask for the OCD and M6's, being short of breath makes it harder to carry around the heavier bottles.

I can't express my gratitude to you for your help. I will also check with BG&E (electric co) and see what they say too. That big unit just keeps ker chunking away!!!

Love, and I mean that word!!!!
    Pat
  • padee6339
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Pat,

Hi Jean 0609
    That would be so great if we could meet for lunch sometime. I live right off of the BW Parkway and can jump on that and head north and be anywhere in a New York Minute. If you know of any place up that way, Big T or something nicer, let me know. I would love to meet you!
    Huge Hugs - Pat