I'm new

donnamex
donnamex Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
We found out my husband of 27 yes has lung cancer may 09. He went thou chemo and rad. And did ok. He had one mass on right lung after treatments they went away, five months ago retested with two on right lung one on left lung and one in middle of heart. The doc didn't want to do chemo right now saying he was to weak, my thing is it's like he has given up, all he does is sleep now, some days he will not eat nothing, when I take it to him he says it taste rotten, and makes him sick, it just seems like it has been a yr and a half since chemo, would he still be getting sick over food? Thank you God bless you all.

Comments

• 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    It's not easy
    Hi Donna,
    Sorry to hear about your husband. It's so hard to watch them go through this. I think all the meds makes all food taste bad. Does he drink ensure? My husband of 46 years was diagnosed with lung cancer in January 2010. It had spread to his brain & spine. He had radiation & the lesions on his brain & spine greatly reduced. Then he started chemo. He had a side effect from one of the chemos and passed away March 25th. Never thought I'd lose him so quick. He was always so healthy & ate all the right foods, but didn't help. So take care of your husband & be there for him. "Carole"
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Just an idea
    You may want to call and talk to the doctor. A trip to the nutritionist wouldn't be out of line if the problem is some foods taste bad. However, depression is really common among us cancer survivors too. It's a problem most of us really don't like to admit we have (me included!), but it can be treated with medicine if it is recognized. Most folks on chemo can tolerate very bland foods like mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and custards. French toast with maple syrup tastes decent to most chemo patients too. So if he is still having food issues, you might try those kind of foods. If he has lost his sense of smell, foods will taste off too. I lost my sense of smell a few years ago and milk chocolate began to taste like sweet mud! I find I really enjoy hot, bitter, and spicy combinations that I could never tolerate before. My poor husband isn't too sure about those dishes however, so he is the one who is suffering the most!

Another thing that crosses my mind is that when my grandfather had end stage cancer, he lost his appetite. We thought he was trying to bow out gracefully and argued with him constantly to eat. Later I learned that one sign of advancing cancer can be loss of appetite. I regret the time we spent urging him to eat. He really wasn't hungry. If we had been better informed by the doctors about what was going on, we could have spent more time playing cards(something he enjoyed) and less time yelling about food. So calling the doctor for a good physical might determine what kind of problem you are dealing with and help you make the best decision about treatment. Good luck!
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    cabbott said:

Just an idea
    You may want to call and talk to the doctor. A trip to the nutritionist wouldn't be out of line if the problem is some foods taste bad. However, depression is really common among us cancer survivors too. It's a problem most of us really don't like to admit we have (me included!), but it can be treated with medicine if it is recognized. Most folks on chemo can tolerate very bland foods like mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and custards. French toast with maple syrup tastes decent to most chemo patients too. So if he is still having food issues, you might try those kind of foods. If he has lost his sense of smell, foods will taste off too. I lost my sense of smell a few years ago and milk chocolate began to taste like sweet mud! I find I really enjoy hot, bitter, and spicy combinations that I could never tolerate before. My poor husband isn't too sure about those dishes however, so he is the one who is suffering the most!

Another thing that crosses my mind is that when my grandfather had end stage cancer, he lost his appetite. We thought he was trying to bow out gracefully and argued with him constantly to eat. Later I learned that one sign of advancing cancer can be loss of appetite. I regret the time we spent urging him to eat. He really wasn't hungry. If we had been better informed by the doctors about what was going on, we could have spent more time playing cards(something he enjoyed) and less time yelling about food. So calling the doctor for a good physical might determine what kind of problem you are dealing with and help you make the best decision about treatment. Good luck!

I love reading your posts,
    I love reading your posts, cabbott - you take such care with what you say, and no matter the subject I always find something there to carry away for myself! Thank you!
    ♥ stayingcalm