Another Whammy

m_azingrace
m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've been careful about sat fats for a long time, limiting my guilty pleasures to only occasionally. Haven't eaten bacon in months, no lunch meats. Careful about the "hidden fats" in so-called healthy foods, etc. I had my regular physical with the primary. Fasting blood work came back with elevated cholesterol. Not extremely high, but still not normal. Yikes!! Family history is sketchy, so we don't know about the genetics.
Dr. suspects the cancer-fighting drugs---Femara until last month, and now Aromasin---may be the cause. So now I am taking a statin, to reduce the cholesterol. She said since I'm already diligent about my diet and exercise, we have to be agressive with drug therapy.
So, ladies, if you are taking Femara or Aromasin, here is another thing to watch out for. {{{{Hugs}}}} to you all. Gracie

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    I heard that was a possible side effect.
    I'm on Arimidex and so far so good. My last check-up showed that my good cholesterol is very high but not my bad which was normal.

Roseann
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    roseann4 said:

I heard that was a possible side effect.
    I'm on Arimidex and so far so good. My last check-up showed that my good cholesterol is very high but not my bad which was normal.

Roseann

me, too
    And....we eat (only on Sundays) the Maverick, all natural, no nitrates, etc. bacon, and I love it.
    Has not affected my cholesterol. Just sharing, in case you miss bacon!
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Thanks for the info
    I just started on Femara 2 weeks ago and I do not recall anyone telling me that could be one of the side effects. I have been doing well with it. No noticeable side effects yet.
    I will ask my med onc about that one when I see him on 10/8.

Hugs
    Georgia