Alleviating & controlling DOXIL side effects ; what I've learned

13»

Comments

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member

Just tacking on the final chapter of my Doxil sage.
    Because I think of this Discussion Board as a resource for those coming after us, I want to relate the end of my Doxil story here.

After my 3rd Doxil round I was really beginning to have some bothersome sores between a few of my toes and fingers and on the backs of my heels when I made long treks anywhere, painful. (I still went but it hurt! HA!) Although the Rx steroid creme cleared up the rash on my torso, I broke out in a different very fine rash across the tops of my feet, up the inside of my calves and across the from of my thighs that the steroid cremem did nothing for. Luckily it did not itch or hurt, just looked bad like a million red freckles.

I get a CT/PET scan every 3 months and so had my scan after the 3 rounds of Doxil. Turns out that Doxil DID work to shrink the malignant lymph node under my arm. But it also allowed the para-aortic lymph node that keeps winking on and off on my PETs to get a little bigger, AND for the 1st time, I had 3 little spots light up in my LIVER. And my CA125 which was 134 before I started Doxil was 292 when I ended it. :( Doxil works for some people but not for others, true for all the salvage chemo drugs. I hate to switch from Doxil because I had such good energy and digestive function on it and LOVE having eyelashes again!

So, instead of the 4th Doxil infusion I would have had yesterday (according to my every-4-week Doxil infusion schedule), I had Carboplatin yesterday. We may re-visit Doxil down the road if we are running out of options. I woke up feeling good and consider Carbiplatin one of the 'big guns' I have left to use.

But that's my Doxil experience. I have no regrets about trying it.

Linda thanks for sharing
    Sorry the Doxil has given you such skin problems. I know Sharon and Diane talked about hand and feet problems, too. Sorry you will not be continuing it, as you felt pretty good while taking it. Plus the every four week treatment had to be better than every week of treatment you had before Doxil. I hope your body can take the Carboplatin infusions. I know you had trouble with counts before. I pray that the "big gun" will work for you. In peace and caring.
  • Sara Zipora
    Sara Zipora Member Posts: 231
    Ro10 said:

Linda thanks for sharing
    Sorry the Doxil has given you such skin problems. I know Sharon and Diane talked about hand and feet problems, too. Sorry you will not be continuing it, as you felt pretty good while taking it. Plus the every four week treatment had to be better than every week of treatment you had before Doxil. I hope your body can take the Carboplatin infusions. I know you had trouble with counts before. I pray that the "big gun" will work for you. In peace and caring.

Thanks Linda and all
    Started Doxil on Wednesday, then had Carbo on Thursday. I have another med. problem, Glaucoma in one eye so I can't take steroids as they raise eye pressure.. I do take basic Emend on day of carbo and two days later, lowish steroid, with no added Steroids and a diuretic to lower eye pressure.
    Friday and Sat felt weakish but ok, kids and grandkids pooled meals and we ate together.
    Today, Sunday felt nauseous,dizzy and sleepy. Hoping this will be all as I hoped to go to work tomorrow and have three one hour meetings planned.

Am using Eucerin and olive oil a lot on feet and hands, thanks Linda. Also showered with plain crocs so that soles of feet wouldn't be in warmish water, not as brave as Linda to have cold showers.

How long do post Doxil symptoms last, mainly nausea and sleepiness?

Thanks,
    Sara Zipora
  • Antpopoola
    Antpopoola Member Posts: 10
    nempark said:

Comfort from the Scriptures For all of you!!!!
    Isaiah 41:10
    Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not gaze about, for I am your God. I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness.

Proverbs 17:17
    A true companion is loving all the time, and is a brother that is born for when there is distress. Linda, you are a true companion when there is distress.

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I do my utmost best all the time to conduct my self according to the scriptures. I have learned a new way of life since I have the Scriptures to comfort me and whom ever I come in contact with. I have also learned not to be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God.
    I pray and think about you and everyone on the board Mary Ann also are in my prayers. Linda you will be okay. Big Hugs June
    Connie says twenty more years, I will not be greedy, I say twenty five. Love you all

NEMPARK HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL

How are you doing? Those are also two of my favorite scriptures that keeps me going each day.  I am also one of Jehovah's witnesses and my source of comfort comes from the scriptures, friends, families and fellow cancer partners on this website.  We must keep on fighiting. STAY POSITIVE everyone!  I believe what the bible say at Isaiah 33:24 and Revelation 21:3,4.  There will be a time when no one will be sick also there will be no more death, mouring or pain.  A wonderful time to look forward to!

WITH LOVE