Night Sweats

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Been having night sweats and sleeplessness since finding out about the Breast Cancer. Had my original biopsy on 9/2. Is this just my "shock" or could this be a side effect from the biopsy? PJ's are wet, sheets and hair wet .... if I take off the coves get chills..put them on and the heat flashes start again. Will this go away in time? Any advice?

Comments

• anaumann
    anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
    sleeping difficulties
    I had a variety of anxiety symptoms while waiting for resusts and since diagnosis. Although I do not sweat, I get heat flashing at night mostly. Im 52 and my period is late (again) but I have not totally missed one yet.
    I was a bundle of nerves and surprising unemotional for about a month. I had trouble eating and sleeping and fuctioning normally. A therapist I saw last week said I was in shock. She advised my to pamper myself with mucic aromas foods I enjoy etc. Try to be positive is what everyone advises--I know its hard. ann
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    anaumann said:

sleeping difficulties
    I had a variety of anxiety symptoms while waiting for resusts and since diagnosis. Although I do not sweat, I get heat flashing at night mostly. Im 52 and my period is late (again) but I have not totally missed one yet.
    I was a bundle of nerves and surprising unemotional for about a month. I had trouble eating and sleeping and fuctioning normally. A therapist I saw last week said I was in shock. She advised my to pamper myself with mucic aromas foods I enjoy etc. Try to be positive is what everyone advises--I know its hard. ann

Stress can cause hormonal changes.
    I recommend having your hormone levels checked when they do your blood work. Also have them check your vitamin d levels. Sleep is always important but even more so now. You can ask for medication if you need it.

Roseann
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Since I don't know how old you are
    it could be menopause (hormones), cancer symptom, anxiety...any number of things. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Hope this goes away soon!

Sylvia
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    had the same thing happen to me
    After being diagnosed in May my hormones went crazy. I do believe it was the stress because my night sweats and hot flashes had just about stopped until that time. I asked my oncologist if the cancer or radiation would cause this and she said there was no way to tell but it was not a side effect that she normally heard about.
    After finishing radiation it seems to have slowed down but now I am on Arimidex and hear that hot flashes are a side effect. After 4 days on the meds I am fine but we'll see.

I really believe that stress does weird things to our bodies so maybe some meditation or something else that you might like would help, like music or something like that.

Sorry I couldn't help you, just know that you have company, R
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

had the same thing happen to me
    After being diagnosed in May my hormones went crazy. I do believe it was the stress because my night sweats and hot flashes had just about stopped until that time. I asked my oncologist if the cancer or radiation would cause this and she said there was no way to tell but it was not a side effect that she normally heard about.
    After finishing radiation it seems to have slowed down but now I am on Arimidex and hear that hot flashes are a side effect. After 4 days on the meds I am fine but we'll see.

I really believe that stress does weird things to our bodies so maybe some meditation or something else that you might like would help, like music or something like that.

Sorry I couldn't help you, just know that you have company, R

Ann .. welcome to our wonderful site .. I am sorry you had
    to find us. Breast Cancer is a very scary and life changing experience. Did I mention that you will be walking into walks, or in a fog for some time. Night sweats or difficulty sleeping is part of our 'journey'. This could be brought on by endless thinking, crying or worry. If it gets too much, ask your doctor for something to help you cope or sleep. I do not advocate pills or medication as a week-end release .. but, what we have or face is life altering.

Please get some rest which will help you think clearly, and put on the air conditioning if possible, fans and cool baths or showers.

Zen .. your environnment to speak of ..

Love, Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • Bunny22
    Bunny22 Member Posts: 4
    night sweats too
    I've been having night sweats too; but they'd been happening for a few years prior to being diagnosed. It's no fun because they wake you up in the middle of the night, so you have to deal with lack of sleep on top of the exhaustion of stress & treatment. Now that i'm in chemo treatments, they're horning their way into evenings while i'm still awake. So I guess I have hot flashes and night sweats now.

I was talking to a friend who is the same age as me & she said her night sweats also wake her up. She doesn't have cancer but a whacky thyroid; we're both 50 & 51, respectively, so i think we're about in the same place in our cycle of change, and in my case the chemo is just accelerating everything that would have happened anyway.

Exercise as much as you're able, even if it's just a short walk around the block. Stretch, take a nice relaxing shower before going to bed, and drink lots of water. Get someone to give you a massage or treat yourself to one once a week if you can. All those things work better for me than anything else. Ask your doctor for help too; don't try to gut it out alone.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    age?
    Menopause perhaps....I had them years ago pre meno but was side effect of medicine...now each night..post treatments and on tamoxifen...