~*~* What Have You Learned In Your Journey With Breast Cancer ~*~*

Options
2»

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Journey
    An ongoing journey learning to deal with the speed bumps thrown out every now and then.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

Journey
    An ongoing journey learning to deal with the speed bumps thrown out every now and then.

I have learned that I have
    I have learned that I have SO MUCH to be thankful for. Focusing on those things makes everything (including cancer) something I can deal with and maintain an attitude of gratitude.
  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    What I've learned
    Hi Susie-

What I have learned:

* That I am much more resilient than I ever gave myself credit for.

* Meditation goes a long way.

* That prayer is a powerful tool.

* To never sweat the "Small" stuff.

* To always take deep breaths; It helps me heal internally and externally.

* I learned that those who avoid me and do not call are just afraid of the "C" word; while they were not there for me, I would never turn my back on them.

* I learned to communicate better with my daughter and always place family first before career.
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    Options

What I've learned
    Hi Susie-

What I have learned:

* That I am much more resilient than I ever gave myself credit for.

* Meditation goes a long way.

* That prayer is a powerful tool.

* To never sweat the "Small" stuff.

* To always take deep breaths; It helps me heal internally and externally.

* I learned that those who avoid me and do not call are just afraid of the "C" word; while they were not there for me, I would never turn my back on them.

* I learned to communicate better with my daughter and always place family first before career.

wow M
    I couldn't said it better. I was going to write something but your post really hit home, no more can be said, especially about the people who are not there for us and how you would never turn your back on them. Very powerful, I think I would like to print out your words so I can remember them, it's all so true. R
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    jnl said:

Did you get my PM Susie?

Did you get my PM Susie?

Yep! Thanks!
    Yep! Thanks!
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options

wow M
    I couldn't said it better. I was going to write something but your post really hit home, no more can be said, especially about the people who are not there for us and how you would never turn your back on them. Very powerful, I think I would like to print out your words so I can remember them, it's all so true. R

good one!
    Ive learned that I am braver and stronger than I ever knew.

Ive learned what a true friend is.

Ive learned that snuggling with my daughter is the best thing in the world!!!!

Ive learned that people can be very rude when you cant move fast enough for them and also that strangers can be very helpful and nice.
  • Kittycat15
    Kittycat15 Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

good one!
    Ive learned that I am braver and stronger than I ever knew.

Ive learned what a true friend is.

Ive learned that snuggling with my daughter is the best thing in the world!!!!

Ive learned that people can be very rude when you cant move fast enough for them and also that strangers can be very helpful and nice.

What I learned
    I never realized I had so many friends! The outpouring of love and concern I received really humbled me.

My husband loves me more than I thought he did.

It's not that important to have a sparkling clean house all the time. If I don't clean it today, it will be there tomorrow!

I learned I need to make more time to have fun.

My parents are the best parents a kid could ever have!! They were there whenever I needed them. The love I felt from both of them was so heartwarming. My mom is a breast cancer survivor too.

Life can throw you a curveball when you least expect it.

Kitty
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Great responses
    that is exactly how I feel and have been trying to live my life since my diagnosis.
    I also learn about and have met you - very amazing and very talented women, I never knew exist in this world. You became my friends and I am very thankful for this part of my life.

Sill very often I wish I could wake up and ... nothing has happened
    Hugs
    New Flower

Great post Susie! I agree
    Great post Susie! I agree with New Flower about being thankful for finding this board and all of you amazing sisters! Even though I am not on much anymore, I could never thank you enough for helping me when I went through all of my treatments!
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    I have learned so much!
    I have learned to enjoy the small things in life, not fret over them
    To travel, and enjoy the nature that I love: water, trees, flowers, the basic stuff
    That my two adult daughters are the best part of my life (but I already knew that) :)
    With the many years I spent as indecisive, I now make decisions confidently
    That friends can be more caring, loving and dependable than a sister
    To really listen when someone confides in you, because they have a battle of some sort, too
    That I wish my parents were alive to support me and wonder if they know from heaven above
    That if part of my healing is sitting quietly in a dim room, then so be it.
    And that I am still ME, not a double mastectomy victim---and that has been the most difficult thing to learn.
  • shy violet
    shy violet Member Posts: 167
    Options
    In my first bc battle with
    In my first bc battle with bc I learned that the sudden depression and suicidal feelings that came on were brought on because my blood levels had dropped between low and critical and that I was severely dehydrated and in need of immediate IV fluids...I share this as a personal experience only and not medical advice. I learned to HYDRATE HYDRATE and if you are not well do not drive yourself to your appointments. It is amazing how much better you feel when your levels are back to normal.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Great responses
    that is exactly how I feel and have been trying to live my life since my diagnosis.
    I also learn about and have met you - very amazing and very talented women, I never knew exist in this world. You became my friends and I am very thankful for this part of my life.

Sill very often I wish I could wake up and ... nothing has happened
    Hugs
    New Flower

I so agree with you New
    I so agree with you New Flower. I also wish I would wake up someday and this was just a bad dream.

Leeza
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I've learned
    ~ Despite everything I've gone through, there are others in far worse situations...

~ Never feel sorry for yourself too long.

~ Volunteer your time helping others. It's a win-win for both you and the recipient.

~ Let it go...

~ Time really does go by fast as you get older.

~ My life is totally in God's hands.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I have learned to live in
    I have learned to live in limbo.
    By that I mean that having Death whispering in my ear, so close on my shoulder, I know the beauty around me. I know the love of a good family and friends. I can see the blue sky, the wispy clouds, the flowers in my garden, the hummingbirds buzzing...such wonderful, simple joys.
    Living in limbo is a curse but it is also truly a gift. Only in the blackest night can we really see the stars.
    I can see the stars and that is the gift that cancer has given me.
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    Options
    This sure came just at a time that I was thinking this
    Ok...Here is what I have learned...sorry if it seems a little direct...

1) You do what you can do and when you are tired, you take a nap...

2) That it gets irritating when people want to pray for you or apologize for your breast cancer....Why can't these same people cheer you on and tell you to get up and fight harder????

3) You can still walk a half marathon and ride horses while undergoing chemo

4) You find out just exactly what you are made of...

5) You don't have to worry about bad hair days any more...

6) You find out that your kids, your husband, and your dog don't really care if you are bald or not. They care that they are important to you at the end of the day!!
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Things I learned about me:
    1. My husband loves me no matter what and the only thing he wants is for me to be around for as long as possible.

2. No matter what doctors I have, what medicines I'm on, or what treatments I receive it is still up to me to take care of myself. No one else can do as much for my health as I can and if I don't take care by eating right and exercising I will only have myself to blame later.

3. Time is short but the joys in life don't need to be.

4. I need to focus on what's important and not worry if the laundry is done, if the house is clean, and if I am caught up with everything at work. Those things will not remember me years from now and they won't be who I'll miss.

5. Being a blessing to someone else is the greatest give I can receive.

6. Later on I want the "flash" of my life to be something I'd be proud of so I can rest in peace.

7. The grass is greener and the skies are clearer after a storm. BC was my biggest storm.

8. I don't need to have all the answers (or know all the questions).

9. Sleep is a good thing.

10. (I will wait to see what is next)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Things I learned about me:
    1. My husband loves me no matter what and the only thing he wants is for me to be around for as long as possible.

2. No matter what doctors I have, what medicines I'm on, or what treatments I receive it is still up to me to take care of myself. No one else can do as much for my health as I can and if I don't take care by eating right and exercising I will only have myself to blame later.

3. Time is short but the joys in life don't need to be.

4. I need to focus on what's important and not worry if the laundry is done, if the house is clean, and if I am caught up with everything at work. Those things will not remember me years from now and they won't be who I'll miss.

5. Being a blessing to someone else is the greatest give I can receive.

6. Later on I want the "flash" of my life to be something I'd be proud of so I can rest in peace.

7. The grass is greener and the skies are clearer after a storm. BC was my biggest storm.

8. I don't need to have all the answers (or know all the questions).

9. Sleep is a good thing.

10. (I will wait to see what is next)

I love your post Wolfi!

I love your post Wolfi!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

I have learned so much!
    I have learned to enjoy the small things in life, not fret over them
    To travel, and enjoy the nature that I love: water, trees, flowers, the basic stuff
    That my two adult daughters are the best part of my life (but I already knew that) :)
    With the many years I spent as indecisive, I now make decisions confidently
    That friends can be more caring, loving and dependable than a sister
    To really listen when someone confides in you, because they have a battle of some sort, too
    That I wish my parents were alive to support me and wonder if they know from heaven above
    That if part of my healing is sitting quietly in a dim room, then so be it.
    And that I am still ME, not a double mastectomy victim---and that has been the most difficult thing to learn.

I've learned so much too,
    I've learned so much too, but mainly, to just enjoy each and every moment of each and every day. Life is wonderful and I truly realize how much now.

I always knew my husband adored me, but now, I know that there is no limit or measure to his love. I love him so, so much!
  • Curlz
    Curlz Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Funny timing
    I just had a text exchange and then a convo with one of my closest friends about this...good or bad, THE thing I think I've learned this year is this: People have limits. To what they can do/take/handle/be. It was a bit of a disappointing lesson to learn, but there it is.

And of course I echo the idea that WE have to start taking care of ourselves as much as we do with everyone else! I'm way too guilty of giving my all to others while not looking inward as much as I should.

Curlz
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

This sure came just at a time that I was thinking this
    Ok...Here is what I have learned...sorry if it seems a little direct...

1) You do what you can do and when you are tired, you take a nap...

2) That it gets irritating when people want to pray for you or apologize for your breast cancer....Why can't these same people cheer you on and tell you to get up and fight harder????

3) You can still walk a half marathon and ride horses while undergoing chemo

4) You find out just exactly what you are made of...

5) You don't have to worry about bad hair days any more...

6) You find out that your kids, your husband, and your dog don't really care if you are bald or not. They care that they are important to you at the end of the day!!

Great post Susie! The most
    Great post Susie! The most important thing I have learned in my bc journey has been that I impressed myself as to how strong and brave I was and still am. I never saw myself as brave, but, I know now that I am.

I also found out who my true friends and family were and I have been amazed. I didn't realize so many people cared so much for me.

I also know that my husband loves me unconditionally and I treasure him.

Thanks for the post again. I have enjoyed reading what everyone wrote.