I started Cisplatin and Rads

Options
2»

Comments

• charles55
    charles55 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    not terrible, at all
    I think caring about others feelings even while you are so sick means you are a great mom. It sounds like you have a lot of love in that house, and that has to mean good things will come out of this.
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    THE NAUSEA SHOULD BE PREVENTABLE
    Make sure you reach out to your nurse coordinator about what is going on and demand that they keep it under control. If you are on multiple meds, make sure you have the dates and times organized so you do not miss any.

I just had my first day of Chemo yesterday. The Cisplatin was one of 6 different bags of stuff I that infused through me. They started me with a Litre of saline with Magnesium, then a Liter of saline with Potassium, then a drug, (forget the name) that is supposed to assit my kidney in processing the Cisplatin. I had to lay flat with my legs elevated. Over the cours of 30 minutes my blood pressue bottomed out, I had hot flashes and sweating and was nauseated but did not vomit(all expected side effects with this drug. Then I had the Cisplatin and then one Liter each of Saline with Magnesuim and Potassium. The nurse told me the 2 doses each of magnesium and Potassium are designed to add to and replenish these electrolytes that the Cisplatin would remove. The other phase of each dose of Chemo is to get a Litre of Normal Saline tonight and one tomorrw which I get at home and this is to further flush my system, especially my Kidneys and to insure I am hydrated. I do not know if this is standard, but I have not experienced any side effects other than being really tired.

Hang in there, you are strong to take care of two young kids and to work. All I have to do is work when I feel like it as my kids are in college.

You can do this, and all the best to your hubby, this is hard on him too.

Mike
  • KristynRuth86
    KristynRuth86 Member Posts: 140
    Options

THE NAUSEA SHOULD BE PREVENTABLE
    Make sure you reach out to your nurse coordinator about what is going on and demand that they keep it under control. If you are on multiple meds, make sure you have the dates and times organized so you do not miss any.

I just had my first day of Chemo yesterday. The Cisplatin was one of 6 different bags of stuff I that infused through me. They started me with a Litre of saline with Magnesium, then a Liter of saline with Potassium, then a drug, (forget the name) that is supposed to assit my kidney in processing the Cisplatin. I had to lay flat with my legs elevated. Over the cours of 30 minutes my blood pressue bottomed out, I had hot flashes and sweating and was nauseated but did not vomit(all expected side effects with this drug. Then I had the Cisplatin and then one Liter each of Saline with Magnesuim and Potassium. The nurse told me the 2 doses each of magnesium and Potassium are designed to add to and replenish these electrolytes that the Cisplatin would remove. The other phase of each dose of Chemo is to get a Litre of Normal Saline tonight and one tomorrw which I get at home and this is to further flush my system, especially my Kidneys and to insure I am hydrated. I do not know if this is standard, but I have not experienced any side effects other than being really tired.

Hang in there, you are strong to take care of two young kids and to work. All I have to do is work when I feel like it as my kids are in college.

You can do this, and all the best to your hubby, this is hard on him too.

Mike

thanks
    Thanks my buddies! This morning was terrible, I am just so nauseous all the time and as of yesterday I noticed a lack of saliva so when I got sick this morning I was choking almost. I'm so puzzled b/c so many of you say y'all weren't even sick at all! I know I need to call the doc, I just hate bugging him, I know it's his job lol.
    Luv4lacrosse, sounds like the exact same thing I'm doing! I'm glad you're doing so well!
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    Options

thanks
    Thanks my buddies! This morning was terrible, I am just so nauseous all the time and as of yesterday I noticed a lack of saliva so when I got sick this morning I was choking almost. I'm so puzzled b/c so many of you say y'all weren't even sick at all! I know I need to call the doc, I just hate bugging him, I know it's his job lol.
    Luv4lacrosse, sounds like the exact same thing I'm doing! I'm glad you're doing so well!

Please call your doctor
    You need to call the doctor, I felt that way when I keep calling the nurse about my dad. They do not mind. The nurse and the doctor both told me the appreciate it when patients are involved in their care and ask questions to help themselves get through this.

I hope you start feeling better. Also, you are a great mom and never think other wise.

Kathy
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

thanks

Definitely call the nurse/doctor
    KR, there are just too many options for nausea out there for you to have to suffer with it more than minimally, if at all.

I've said before my husband used Emend the day of Cisplatin and the two days following, but he also used phenergan by mouth and also Zofram, another anti-nausea, when he needed them.

Do not hesitate to call them, KR.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

thanks

Don't Feel Bad About Calling
    He's your doc - that's what he's there for. Also, I almost never talked to my chemo doc - I phoned in a question, and either spoke with his nurse, or left a message for her. She took care of all my questions, and told me not to feel bad when I would apologize for calling. My rads doc took care of my rads questions, but the vast majority of my questions were chemo related. Hope they get you sorted soon.
  • luv4lacrosse
    Options

thanks

STAY AHEAD OF THE NAUSEA
    LIKE SOME OTHERS SAID, TAKE THE MEDS ON SCHEDULE TO TRY AND HEAD OFF THE NAUSEA. STAY HYDRATED.

WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS.

BEST!!

mike
  • adventurebob
    adventurebob Member Posts: 691
    Options

thanks

nausea
    Whatever you can do to give your body a break from nausea or pain allows it to spend that energy fighting cancer and healing your body. A little experimentation is usually necessary to find what works best for you and your doc and nurses are the ones who are supposed to be helping you with that. Never feel bad calling them up. They love to help you. That is their calling in life right now. Suffering is not ok anymore! There's been enough of that already. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Bob
  • abbimom
    abbimom Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options

thanks

Bug the doctor
    I remember when I was hospitalized to get my peg tube and dehydration and they still wanted me to do treatments and I refused because I was always so sick from them. So I fussed and made the doctor come to the hospital at 5 in the morning and we compromised and he gave me new nausea medicine and it worked. I would get it in an IV and I'm sorry I can't remember the name. But never feel bad about what you are going through. You didn't ask for this and having those two little ones you are doing an amazing job. I'm 10 years post treatment and now I have a 2 year old. Going through what you are doing and taking care of the kids must be so hard, but like others said they will not remember this. I hope you start feeling better.
    Best wishes,
    Linda
  • terryscarlett
    terryscarlett Member Posts: 143
    Options

thanks

Hydration
    have you been taking in enough fluids? My husband had the same problem and had to got to the chemo department to get extra bags of fluids through IV days after his treatment! It worked miracles. He also suffered through the weekend after the first round of cisplatin! It is hard on the kidneys and I think the extra fluids will do wonders for you too. Give your Doc a call and they can set it up for you to get in Monday morn. Before your next chemo treatment line it up to get the fluids before and after your treatment! Hope this helps and you feel better very soon! Also liquid nausea meds and steroids in the fluids will help you through the next several days!
    Terry
  • zinniemay
    zinniemay Member Posts: 522
    Options

thanks

What
    Hate to call the doctor, No way you call him! That is his job, Don't ever feel you can not call them. Kristyn You have to do think for yourself! Call the doctor . Each person is a little different, My husband did great till the last week he was sick and very weak that lasted two weeks. My husband was abig man with extra weight and all the things going for him . So you can not take that everyone will react the same . Never ever be afraid to call the doctor. You are not bugging him you are paying him This is his job. Some times you can talk to the nurse and they can help.
    We need you to take care of your self.
    Jennie
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    zinniemay said:

What
    Hate to call the doctor, No way you call him! That is his job, Don't ever feel you can not call them. Kristyn You have to do think for yourself! Call the doctor . Each person is a little different, My husband did great till the last week he was sick and very weak that lasted two weeks. My husband was abig man with extra weight and all the things going for him . So you can not take that everyone will react the same . Never ever be afraid to call the doctor. You are not bugging him you are paying him This is his job. Some times you can talk to the nurse and they can help.
    Jennie

Please call.
    As I nurse, I felt much worse if someone needed something and did not call, than if they did. SO please call. take care. You will get through this.
    Stacey
  • luv4lacrosse
    Options
    zinniemay said:

What
    Jennie

RIGHT ON JENNIE
    "Who works for who Here" ??

Absolutely call the Doctor. I had my radiation Treatment this morning and just dropped into his office afterwards as I noticed some mouth sores last night starting to form. After a short exam and some usefull conversation, I walked out of his office with more Diflucan and a scrip. for the "Magic Mouth Wash".

yes, the Docs are busy, they always seem to doublebook, but you are the customer.

Good Luck

Mike
  • Larla
    Larla Member Posts: 28
    Options
    I know what you mean about
    I know what you mean about feeling like a terrible mother but don't give in to it. You're going through the treatment to be alive fof them.I hope you have some help.I could not have gotten through my cisplatin and radiation without my aunt helping with my three children ages 10,4 and 1.There were some days she would pick them up in the morning and bring them home at bedtime.Luckily my treatment was in the summer when she was on vacation from teaching.I hope you will be feeling stronger soon.