Radiation First Appt.

linpsu
linpsu Member Posts: 747
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey ladies - can anyone tell me exactly what happens at the first radiation set-up/marking appointment? I go on Wednesday. I was told about getting some little tattoos and about lying with my arm above my head for an hour. I am really scared since I don't think I can hold my arm in that position for an hour. I've been going to physical therapy 3 times a week since my mastectomy a month and a half ago to help my arm to move (a combination of frozen shoulder last year after neck surgery combined with the mastectomy). The PT has worked wonders and I can actually move my arm over my head, but it is really painful to sustain that position for longer than 5 minutes. I am really worried that I won't be able to do it and then I will have to postpone radiation until I can, and that the cancer will spread in that time. I am triple negative and had some cancer in one of my lymph nodes as well as my breast, so I am really scared that it has spread already or will spread soon.
I've just read some very helpful posts about wearing men's t-shirts to the sessions and about the lotions, so thanks to those of you who provided that information.
Linda

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    I did not have to put my arm
    I did not have to put my arm up for too long at a time at the first appmt. It did take quite a long time for them to get the readings they needed. They had a bar that I could hold on to & that helped. Be sure to tell them of your shoulder problem. I found the rads techs to be very good at their job, so they prob. have had patients with similar problems in the past.

Once they got the readings set, the treatments went by quickly. I hope they do for you, also.

My hospital did not do the tattoos until about day 15; they did not hurt at all & took practically no extra time.

Be sure to use the creams your techs give you & follow all of their instructions. Ask questions if need be.

I want to wish you the best of luck in your rads.
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    had radation 3 times
    Hi Linda,
    The time they give you is a estimate, I did not keep my arm in that position for a hour because I have lymphedma. And if you having trouble with the arm position they can give you a pillow or towel to help relief pressure from your arm. The tatoo is little dots they put on your body to make sure you are line up properly with the machine.

The treatment in itself does not hurt along as you make sure you apply cream on your radiated area. If you have any concern make sure you tell the doctor and nurse about any problems.

Good luck Barbara
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    I also had that
    problem with not being able to keep my arm over my head. The cancer center I went to for my radiation makes a mold which made it so much better. What they did was get my arm into a position that worked for them and was not painful for me. My setup appt. only took about 45 minutes even though they did tell me it would be an hour or more.
    For the tattos all they did was place a drop of in and them do a pin prick. I was not a big deal at all. I have 6 of them and they are not anything obvious.
    Don't worry you will be able to do it just fine.

Hugs to you
    Georgia
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    ladyg said:

I also had that
    problem with not being able to keep my arm over my head. The cancer center I went to for my radiation makes a mold which made it so much better. What they did was get my arm into a position that worked for them and was not painful for me. My setup appt. only took about 45 minutes even though they did tell me it would be an hour or more.
    For the tattos all they did was place a drop of in and them do a pin prick. I was not a big deal at all. I have 6 of them and they are not anything obvious.
    Don't worry you will be able to do it just fine.

Hugs to you
    Georgia

Shoulder problems too
    I have tendonitis in my shoulder on the same side as the lumpectomy. I never did have to hold my arm still that long. Be sure you tell them right away what is comfortable for you and I bet they will work with you. I also had a mold made that helps with postioning. My techs used either sharpies or paint pens for my markings. They placed clear stickers over them to get them from rubbing or washing off. They would remark them as needed. After that first set up appt. they go really fast. I was always in and out quickly. Wishing you the best of luck God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • ShirleyCurls
    ShirleyCurls Member Posts: 51
    Same Problem
    I also had shoulder problems. They made a mold for my arm and took measurements. I don't remember how long it was up, but not the whole hour.

I had problems with my first session. The doctor prescribed a muscle relaxant and a mild pain killer, which helped a lot. Although with the medication I could not drive myself for treatments. They also taped my arm up in position, its important not to move during treament. The techs also made sure I was perfectly positioned before they taped my arm in order to shorten the lenght of time my arm was up. They also quickly came into the room to release me. The sessions took 10-15 minutes total, but that includes setting up the mold, getting you in the right position etc. My arm was actually up/taped about five minutes.

It got better after the first week, and by the end I had little discomfort.

They gave me a lotion to use, but I wished I had asked exactly where to apply it. I did not realize at first they were hitting my neck. When I put on the lotion, I "skimmed" the hollows of my neck, and thats the only place I got burns.

Also, if you use a commerical cream there is a ingredient you need to avoid, it can cause the radition to scatter. I can't remember the ingredient, I'll look in my papers to see if I can find it.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Tux said:

I did not have to put my arm
    I did not have to put my arm up for too long at a time at the first appmt. It did take quite a long time for them to get the readings they needed. They had a bar that I could hold on to & that helped. Be sure to tell them of your shoulder problem. I found the rads techs to be very good at their job, so they prob. have had patients with similar problems in the past.

Once they got the readings set, the treatments went by quickly. I hope they do for you, also.

My hospital did not do the tattoos until about day 15; they did not hurt at all & took practically no extra time.

Be sure to use the creams your techs give you & follow all of their instructions. Ask questions if need be.

I want to wish you the best of luck in your rads.

Linda, I didn't have my arm
    Linda, I didn't have my arm over my head at all. There was a very comfortable sling that my arm just laid in out towards my side. But, I know everyone didn't have this. It takes awhile for them to get you set up, but, just think good thoughts and know that this is something you are doing to kill any stray cancer cells.

Good luck!