Panic/anxiety crisis how to deal with?

Options
pepebcn
pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Last weeks I'm having kinda panic crisis specially in the afternoon , any magic pill that worked with you? .
l m having lorazepam ( just 1/2 pill of 1 mg) after lunch but no way! then lm prescribed to have 1 mg before sleep, and it works but just for sleeping.
My doc has prescribed me also Cipralex (escitalopram) to avoid any depression but I'm not having it as I'm not depress at all!
just very very very nervous , and anxious !
Do you take anything for this kind of crisis?actually any of you got this kinda crisis?
Have fun !
«1

Comments

  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Anxiety?
    I found a good bottle of aged Bourbon greatly decreases anxiety levels.
    It's dose-dependent, however, and one size doesn't fit all.

    The decrease and/or imbalance of serotonin and melatonin occurs
    due to the overload of the liver and kidneys; the two organs that
    produce those chemicals. An imbalance of either causes many
    symptoms, including depression, anxiety, panic attacks, irregular
    heart rhythm, muscle aches, etc.

    Drugs weigh the heaviest on the liver, since it's the liver that is
    responsible for cleaning the toxins from the blood. Too many,
    or "too harsh" drugs, and the liver suffers, producing less of
    what it should be normally producing.

    (Likewise, alcohol weighs very heavily on those organs, as well)

    Those are the reasons "why" it happens.

    Taking more meds in an effort to "cure" it, adds to the load
    of toxins that must be removed... Vicious cycle, ehh?

    Get your liver healthy, and you'll do better!


    John
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    John23 said:

    Anxiety?
    I found a good bottle of aged Bourbon greatly decreases anxiety levels.
    It's dose-dependent, however, and one size doesn't fit all.

    The decrease and/or imbalance of serotonin and melatonin occurs
    due to the overload of the liver and kidneys; the two organs that
    produce those chemicals. An imbalance of either causes many
    symptoms, including depression, anxiety, panic attacks, irregular
    heart rhythm, muscle aches, etc.

    Drugs weigh the heaviest on the liver, since it's the liver that is
    responsible for cleaning the toxins from the blood. Too many,
    or "too harsh" drugs, and the liver suffers, producing less of
    what it should be normally producing.

    (Likewise, alcohol weighs very heavily on those organs, as well)

    Those are the reasons "why" it happens.

    Taking more meds in an effort to "cure" it, adds to the load
    of toxins that must be removed... Vicious cycle, ehh?

    Get your liver healthy, and you'll do better!


    John

    yeah John but very dificult to deal with
    unless you are a Tibetan Monk or Kung Fu ! Dont you think ?.
    Haha!
    Best to you and tks you are a book of wisdom! l,d like to speak long with you about TCM!
    lm realy interested!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    One day, or one hour, or one minute at a time....
    I'm no hero, but didn't like the wierd effects of pills...so I didn't take any.

    If I was sad, I would ask myself why. And then work it thru, justifying it, but go on. Same if I was anxious, for that matter...

    My afternoons were spent watching something to make me laugh. I was blessed with MASH reruns each day. I also watched Mel Brooks movies...Young Frankenstein was my fav. Also Fawlty Towers, a British comedy that is no longer on TV, but I have DVDs...

    I allowed myself to take it easy...not a simple thing for someone who had, all of her life, been super busy...many afternoons I took a little siesta...it was great!

    Hang in there, my dear...as the old saying goes: 'Whatever gets you thru the night'...which I modified to: 'Whatever gets you thru the FIGHT!'

    Hugs, Kathi
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

    One day, or one hour, or one minute at a time....
    I'm no hero, but didn't like the wierd effects of pills...so I didn't take any.

    If I was sad, I would ask myself why. And then work it thru, justifying it, but go on. Same if I was anxious, for that matter...

    My afternoons were spent watching something to make me laugh. I was blessed with MASH reruns each day. I also watched Mel Brooks movies...Young Frankenstein was my fav. Also Fawlty Towers, a British comedy that is no longer on TV, but I have DVDs...

    I allowed myself to take it easy...not a simple thing for someone who had, all of her life, been super busy...many afternoons I took a little siesta...it was great!

    Hang in there, my dear...as the old saying goes: 'Whatever gets you thru the night'...which I modified to: 'Whatever gets you thru the FIGHT!'

    Hugs, Kathi

    Fawlty towers, my name is Manuel lm from Barcelona!
    LOL!.
    Unfortunadely l have lost my capacity to watch TV!. l m not sad but worried and nervous very nervous, well l will do my best but this is not healthy neither ,as you say we are not heroes!
    Enjoy fresh cow milk! lol!
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    pepebcn said:

    Fawlty towers, my name is Manuel lm from Barcelona!
    LOL!.
    Unfortunadely l have lost my capacity to watch TV!. l m not sad but worried and nervous very nervous, well l will do my best but this is not healthy neither ,as you say we are not heroes!
    Enjoy fresh cow milk! lol!

    For Anxiety
    Try XANAX if they have that in your country. It is used to treat for high anxiety and just might be the temporary ticket for you.

    I'm like Kathi, I just use my mind as much as I can and get off any medication as soon as I can. The brain is a very powerful tool all by itself, but if you need a little help, ask your doctor about Xanax.

    -Craig
  • Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216
    Options
    xanax
    I am going thru your same feelings, so told onc, they gave me xanax. Hate to take meds, so I keep the bottle in case, still haven't taken one, but just knowing they are there has helped me.....when I start to go down, I get them out, but because I hate meds don't take one. So far, it has just helped me knowing I have them. This may sound stupid, but whatever......Pat
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

    For Anxiety
    Try XANAX if they have that in your country. It is used to treat for high anxiety and just might be the temporary ticket for you.

    I'm like Kathi, I just use my mind as much as I can and get off any medication as soon as I can. The brain is a very powerful tool all by itself, but if you need a little help, ask your doctor about Xanax.

    -Craig

    Xanax is probally the brand ,do you know the name
    for the active ingredient ?
    tks Craig!
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Panic, Anxiety, Grief and other Emotions
    Pepe,

    I am by no means an expert on what you are feeling so I can only speak of my own experience. I found for myself, most of the time (get those qualifiers in there since there are exclusions to every rule) I just have to let myself feel. Not that I like to but, I must. I've found that if I'm feeling sad, I have to acknowledge that I feel sad and just sit with it for a bit. Same thing for any of my "feelings". So say maybe today I'm feeling overwhelmed ... I say OK so I'm feeling overwhelmed ... this to shall pass. Of course if there is a situation that I have control over which will change my feelings, I'll make a plan (always help to feel empowered) and implement it. But, I noticed that when I tried to fix feelings (that are outside of my control), make them go away or run from them, they just became more powerful.

    It's like saying, don't think about purple polka dots. What do you do? Think about purple polka dots! Anyway ... that's my 2 cents (and we all know what that buys today). I hope you feel better soon and find some relief. ... Lori
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    pepebcn said:

    Xanax is probally the brand ,do you know the name
    for the active ingredient ?
    tks Craig!

    Pepe
    Pepe

    It is also goes under the generic name of "Alprazolam".

    These look to be the active ingredients:

    8-chloro-1-methyl-6-phenyl-4H-
    [1,2,4]triazolo[4,3-a][1,4]benzodiazepine

    But, I'm not a scientist, so I could not break down the diagram.

    Bottom line, it is used for anxiety and just be moderate and take it as needed and follow the dosing instructions.

    See you
    Craig
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

    For Anxiety
    Try XANAX if they have that in your country. It is used to treat for high anxiety and just might be the temporary ticket for you.

    I'm like Kathi, I just use my mind as much as I can and get off any medication as soon as I can. The brain is a very powerful tool all by itself, but if you need a little help, ask your doctor about Xanax.

    -Craig

    Xanax does it affects your dayly routine ?
    l mean do you get slept , or so ? and most important Does liver accepts it ?
    thanks!
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Lori-S said:

    Panic, Anxiety, Grief and other Emotions
    Pepe,

    I am by no means an expert on what you are feeling so I can only speak of my own experience. I found for myself, most of the time (get those qualifiers in there since there are exclusions to every rule) I just have to let myself feel. Not that I like to but, I must. I've found that if I'm feeling sad, I have to acknowledge that I feel sad and just sit with it for a bit. Same thing for any of my "feelings". So say maybe today I'm feeling overwhelmed ... I say OK so I'm feeling overwhelmed ... this to shall pass. Of course if there is a situation that I have control over which will change my feelings, I'll make a plan (always help to feel empowered) and implement it. But, I noticed that when I tried to fix feelings (that are outside of my control), make them go away or run from them, they just became more powerful.

    It's like saying, don't think about purple polka dots. What do you do? Think about purple polka dots! Anyway ... that's my 2 cents (and we all know what that buys today). I hope you feel better soon and find some relief. ... Lori

    Great !
    Great !

    Now I can't stop picturing stupid purple polka dots.

     
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =



    AARRAAGGHH !!!
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    John23 said:

    Great !
    Great !

    Now I can't stop picturing stupid purple polka dots.

     
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


    AARRAAGGHH !!!
    If
    I've impacted one person's life Ha! ;)
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    John23 said:

    Great !
    Great !

    Now I can't stop picturing stupid purple polka dots.

     
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


    AARRAAGGHH !!!
    john forgive me !! LOL
    You are great!!
    Hahahahahahaha !
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    pepebcn said:

    john forgive me !! LOL
    You are great!!
    Hahahahahahaha !

    John don't get angry thanks to you
    my anxiety has gone !! hahahaha .
    THKS!
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    pepebcn said:

    John don't get angry thanks to you
    my anxiety has gone !! hahahaha .
    THKS!

    Pepe
    Combo therapy. I think the bomb scare and purple polka dots cured you of your anxiety.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Lori-S said:

    Pepe
    Combo therapy. I think the bomb scare and purple polka dots cured you of your anxiety.

    hahaha
    Lori yes good therapy !
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Panic / anxiety attacks
    Hi "Pepe"

    I really sympathize with your anxiety attacks. Years ago I suffered from panic attacks – it was horrible – I felt like I was dying. I went on Paxil plus Xanax (alprazolam) for breakthrough, and it really helped. After a couple of years I weaned off the Paxil, but still keep a bit of Xanax around to quell a panic attack. It actually works very quickly and the effects don’t last long – just long enough to shut down the panic attack. (Also, just having some around tends to prevent an attack, because you know you can take it if necessary.) Don’t be so scared about SSRI antidepressants (such as escitalopram – Lexapro in the US) – they are indicated for both anxiety and depression and I don’t think you should dismiss trying it for anxiety alone.

    John – I love your posts. However, serotonin is not manufactured in the liver. Most of it (90+%) is manufactured in the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine). It has an effect on bone mass and probably also helps regulate digestion. That serotonin never makes it to the brain because of the blood-brain barrier (which protects the brain from foreign chemicals).

    The remaining serotonin is produced by the neurons in the brain. SSRI durgs (like Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro) work by preserving the serotonin produced by the brain – i.e. inhibiting its “uptake”.

    Serotonin is eventually metabolized by the liver (as are most substances) and then excreted by the kidneys. Meanwhile, I’m all for a healthy liver, but I just thought I’d mention this.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options

    Panic / anxiety attacks
    Hi "Pepe"

    I really sympathize with your anxiety attacks. Years ago I suffered from panic attacks – it was horrible – I felt like I was dying. I went on Paxil plus Xanax (alprazolam) for breakthrough, and it really helped. After a couple of years I weaned off the Paxil, but still keep a bit of Xanax around to quell a panic attack. It actually works very quickly and the effects don’t last long – just long enough to shut down the panic attack. (Also, just having some around tends to prevent an attack, because you know you can take it if necessary.) Don’t be so scared about SSRI antidepressants (such as escitalopram – Lexapro in the US) – they are indicated for both anxiety and depression and I don’t think you should dismiss trying it for anxiety alone.

    John – I love your posts. However, serotonin is not manufactured in the liver. Most of it (90+%) is manufactured in the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine). It has an effect on bone mass and probably also helps regulate digestion. That serotonin never makes it to the brain because of the blood-brain barrier (which protects the brain from foreign chemicals).

    The remaining serotonin is produced by the neurons in the brain. SSRI durgs (like Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro) work by preserving the serotonin produced by the brain – i.e. inhibiting its “uptake”.

    Serotonin is eventually metabolized by the liver (as are most substances) and then excreted by the kidneys. Meanwhile, I’m all for a healthy liver, but I just thought I’d mention this.

    Most anxiety meds, like Xanax or Ativan,
    may have a negative effect upon one's liver, tho the good they do, if needed, outweighs the bad, in most instances......steve
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options

    Panic / anxiety attacks
    Hi "Pepe"

    I really sympathize with your anxiety attacks. Years ago I suffered from panic attacks – it was horrible – I felt like I was dying. I went on Paxil plus Xanax (alprazolam) for breakthrough, and it really helped. After a couple of years I weaned off the Paxil, but still keep a bit of Xanax around to quell a panic attack. It actually works very quickly and the effects don’t last long – just long enough to shut down the panic attack. (Also, just having some around tends to prevent an attack, because you know you can take it if necessary.) Don’t be so scared about SSRI antidepressants (such as escitalopram – Lexapro in the US) – they are indicated for both anxiety and depression and I don’t think you should dismiss trying it for anxiety alone.

    John – I love your posts. However, serotonin is not manufactured in the liver. Most of it (90+%) is manufactured in the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine). It has an effect on bone mass and probably also helps regulate digestion. That serotonin never makes it to the brain because of the blood-brain barrier (which protects the brain from foreign chemicals).

    The remaining serotonin is produced by the neurons in the brain. SSRI durgs (like Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro) work by preserving the serotonin produced by the brain – i.e. inhibiting its “uptake”.

    Serotonin is eventually metabolized by the liver (as are most substances) and then excreted by the kidneys. Meanwhile, I’m all for a healthy liver, but I just thought I’d mention this.

    Betsy -
    ooopsa' doopsa' ?

    I mis-spoke, or mis-typed as it may be....

    Re:
    "Serotonin or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) is known to regulate
    several key aspects of liver biology and these functions include
    hepatic blood flow, innervation and wound healing. Given the
    importance of these functions it is surprising that relatively
    little time has been dedicated to studying the precise function
    and mechanisms of serotonin within the liver. Here we describe
    what is known about serotonin and the liver and those receptor
    types that mediate the observed effects with an aim to stimulating
    new interest in the field of serotonin and liver biology."


    The rest is here
    (heavy reading)

    I had tossed the serotonin into the mix, due to the imbalance of
    serotonin and melotonin that seems to occur when the liver is under stress.

    Where I had read that the liver "helps regulate the balance of", I transposed
    it to "produces"...... Dumb herbal-brain moment.

    You are exactly right, it is produced in the noggin, and gastro tract.

    Thank you for catching that. I can't remember when I started misquoting
    that, but it's been awhile.


    Mea Culpa,

    John
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    Paxel worked for me.

    Paxel worked for me.