Update on my mother

Options
Lisa13Q
Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
OK, this may be long....the news is mixed. There has been progression in her cancer, BUT it isn't huge...here's where I see a blessing. Its just enough to place her into the PARP inhibitor part of the trial...which is what she wanted anyway. And I swear the growth is that close to the protocol to get her the Parp. My mother was crying today when she heard progression, but when we found out she could now get the PARP that seemed to make her feel better. I wish I could believe a little more in God, and I am getting there after today when I found out that her tumor growth was within 1/100 of a millimeter eligibility for the PARP. What are the chances of that? Also, we found out that the tumor on her liver is encapsulated and not invaded her liver. Also, the lymph node that was suspicious previously on PET was not remarkable on CT. I don't know if that makes a difference.

NOW for the process: we found out she had progression from a tech who called her on the phone this morning. Her primary oncologist was supposed to call her last night with results. We all waited until 8pm, no call. Then this am, the office NP called and told her that there had been progression, she wasn't getting treatment today and the doctors wanted to see her. She was all alone and freaked....she thought they were going to tell her she was going into hospice. So, I had to cancel my flight back to MN....what's the matter with people? Do they not know that these events are terrifying for cancer patients and their families? You don't casually call on the phone and say progression....Anyway, my sister and I immediately drove her into the city and we were all freaking out...They got us in immediately and The doctor was fantastic. No more Doxil and she starts the new protocol next week. Mom is relieved she has no more Doxil.

At the end of the meeting, she had to give more blood because yesterday, they didn't do the right tests. I don't know about you all, but my mother's veins are absolutely shot. I'm really sick of the lack of organization sometimes.....blah blah...forgive me it's been a long few days. So they stuck her again for 11 vials.

So, that's the day. Even though the growths on her peritoneum have grown, there are no new spots. For some reason, I feel calm and even happy, and I have optimism that the new chemo will work. Thank you all for reading this. It has been a trying few days. May God Bless you all.

Comments

• sanam
    sanam Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Dear Lisa
    I am happy that

Dear Lisa
    I am happy that there are opportunities inspite of growth.I hope the new protocol works efficiently.
    Hugs
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    There really needs to be a special course
    called "Communicating with a cancer patient" along with all the other coursese these oncologists study. I have said many times, that together we could write the curriculum for them. It is just crazy that they don't at least try to put themselves in your shoes. I'm sorry that your day was so traumatic.

The PARP sounds like a good plan. I can certainly relate to your mom's feelings about not wanting to continue the doxil. It did keep my cancer at bay for 8 months, but never really KILLED the cancer.

So glad to hear you have optiimism!! I think that is evidence of your faith.

kathleen