port replacement done

Options
2»

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Port
    So glad that this port insertion went better for you. The happy medicine never works for me so usually just have to do without. Hopefully this port won't give you any problems. Good luck today on your chemo.

Kim
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Much Better:)
    Just had my 3rd port "installed" back on the left side, where they have all been. No need to gum up the right side until I need it, LOL:)

My first port gave me trouble, but the second one was good and this one should be too. I found a good vascular surgeon who does these well.

This one is a Powerport now - others were mediports. I've upgraded:)

Glad it went ok for you, Lisa.

-Craig

powerport vs. mediport
    Hi Craig (or whomever else can answer this question),

What is the difference between a powerport and a mediport? As far as I know, I have a mediport.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

powerport vs. mediport

What is the difference between a powerport and a mediport? As far as I know, I have a mediport.

Hi Lisa
    I am not an expert, + someone else is welcome to add to this or correct it. I think the PowerPort is sort of an updated version. I believe some of the differences are that it just takes a saline solution to flush + it can be used for inserting dyes for CTs + MRIs etc.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

powerport vs. mediport

Just Call My Name...(LISA)
    ...and I'll be there, LOL:)

The Powerport can do the following things:

1. Receive IV infusions.
    2. Blood Draws
    3. Can have contrast injected through it for CT scans. (eliminating hand or arm sticks)

#3 seems to be the big difference between the two. Whereas before, they have to put in an IV to inject contrast, now they can access the port and save the sticks:)

Feels like it is a little bit bigger and it is triangular shaped and colored a deep purple. I'll be getting started back on chemo by around the 15th or so...so many appts I've had and procedures trying to get done, scope and PET/CT scans etc.etc.

No rest for us, huh? Glad you're all hooked up and fixed up, Lisa!

-Craig:)