Lumpectomy- no radiation, has anyone decided on no radiation?

sassafras
sassafras Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good Morning sister-friend,

I'm wondering if any of the DCIS, hormone positive, no nodes patients have decided on no radiation. I've heard that about 1/3 of DCIS women choose no radiation thearpy and wonder how that has gone for them. I'm on the fence and need to make my decision very soon.

Thank you for your time and kind words.

Kim

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Kim, get some information
    Kim, get some information from your docs on the percentages of a recurrence if you opt out of radiation. Radiation is a localized treatment and is done to eradicate any rogue cancer cells. Good luck on your decision. It is ALWAYS your choice.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Kim, get some information from your docs on the percentages of a recurrence if you opt out of radiation. Radiation is a localized treatment and is done to eradicate any rogue cancer cells. Good luck on your decision. It is ALWAYS your choice.

Kim .. I agree with MyTurnNow -- no question about it!
    It is a personal decision and choice - 1 that you will have to live with - so Please get all pertain information. Go on line, go to City of Hope - sites, call and make an appt'mt - gather information for multiple sources.

Best of Luck ..

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    VickiSam said:

Kim .. I agree with MyTurnNow -- no question about it!
    It is a personal decision and choice - 1 that you will have to live with - so Please get all pertain information. Go on line, go to City of Hope - sites, call and make an appt'mt - gather information for multiple sources.

Best of Luck ..

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam

Your call Kim
    I agree with Vicki Sam and My Turn Now. I just finished radiation. I had a lumpectomy in March, finished chemo in July and rads yest. My Onc. gave me the info on recurrence and odds with and without. I cannot remember the numbers now. It is all up to you. For myself I just wanted to do all I could do so I went with rads. I did fine through rads a little burn right at the end but not bad at all. I would choose the same plan again.
    Just do your research talk to Onc. I know you will get good advice here, and do what feels right for you. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member

Your call Kim
    I agree with Vicki Sam and My Turn Now. I just finished radiation. I had a lumpectomy in March, finished chemo in July and rads yest. My Onc. gave me the info on recurrence and odds with and without. I cannot remember the numbers now. It is all up to you. For myself I just wanted to do all I could do so I went with rads. I did fine through rads a little burn right at the end but not bad at all. I would choose the same plan again.
    Just do your research talk to Onc. I know you will get good advice here, and do what feels right for you. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Been where you are
    I almost skipped rads myself thinking I had done enough. Then I reconsidered and went. I had gone thru chemo, and surgery, so I decided I've come this far I might as well go all the way. I didn't want to skip rads and one cancer cell escape or start to grow again. I'm glad I went.
  • sassafras
    sassafras Member Posts: 10

Been where you are
    I almost skipped rads myself thinking I had done enough. Then I reconsidered and went. I had gone thru chemo, and surgery, so I decided I've come this far I might as well go all the way. I didn't want to skip rads and one cancer cell escape or start to grow again. I'm glad I went.

Thank you for posting...
    Thank you for posting... much appreciated.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

I had invasive bc and my
    I had invasive bc and my oncologist recommended rads after my lumpectomy. Rads kill any stray cancer cells left after surgery, and, I wanted that! What does your onco say? Get the recurrence and survival rate with and without. It is your choice.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Lumpectomy after DCIS and no
    Lumpectomy after DCIS and no nodes involved is the perfect scenario for brachytherapy radiation. It lasts for 5 days and does not leave your skin burnt. Please please look into it if you have made the decision to procede with radiation. I had multicatheter brachytherapy but there are other kinds that deliver the radiation precisely, and without exposure to you lungs/heart/ribs.
    ~~Connie~~
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    crselby said:

Lumpectomy after DCIS and no
    Lumpectomy after DCIS and no nodes involved is the perfect scenario for brachytherapy radiation. It lasts for 5 days and does not leave your skin burnt. Please please look into it if you have made the decision to procede with radiation. I had multicatheter brachytherapy but there are other kinds that deliver the radiation precisely, and without exposure to you lungs/heart/ribs.
    ~~Connie~~

I never even thought of
    I never even thought of skipping rads. I knew it was a major part in my fight of bc. Have you talked to your oncologist and the rads oncologist about this? Good luck in whatever you might choose to do.

Hugs, Angie