My mom, my best friend, my hero, my rock...

Options
hope0310
hope0310 Member Posts: 320
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Every day since August 9th, I have sat by her side. Caressed her face, talked with her, laughed with her, cried alone....

I have done her nails, helped bath her, change her, feed her, given her every minute of every day, much like she gave for me when I was a baby.

Work can wait, told them I would be back when I got back.

Hopsice has been great, we have the best nurse and CNA, social worker is great as well, although we do not need much of her services, we have great support.....my brother stepfather and I are here, constantly, soaking in every single thing we can.

Cherishing the moments, making memories, JUST BEING HERE FOR HER AND EACH OTHER.

Aug 6th, the onco said 4-6 weeks, we are well into our 5th week. Mom still eats some, communicates some, although silly at this point with the brain issues......

It breaks my heart that I will soon be losing her, but I would not trade the time we have spent together, and getting to have this time, for anything in this world....

My best to you all in your journeys...

Elysia

Comments

• cziranugitt
    cziranugitt Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you for this post.
    My

Thank you for this post.
    My mom was diagnosed in June. Her cancer has since gotten bigger and spread to the point where she can't take care of herself. She has always been so independent. I'm moving back home to be with her and take care of her. I'm afraid of what is ahead but I want to spend every minute together that we can. Imagining life without her is too much to handle. I never thought I would lose my mom so young. I wanted her to be there when I got married, had kids and laugh with me when they, inevitably, drove me as crazy as I drove her. The hardest part, though, is seeing her struggle with those thoughts herself. When she was diagnosed, the doctor said she would be fine. Two months later, she's dying.
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    Options

Thank you for this post.
    My

Thank you for this post.
    My mom was diagnosed in June. Her cancer has since gotten bigger and spread to the point where she can't take care of herself. She has always been so independent. I'm moving back home to be with her and take care of her. I'm afraid of what is ahead but I want to spend every minute together that we can. Imagining life without her is too much to handle. I never thought I would lose my mom so young. I wanted her to be there when I got married, had kids and laugh with me when they, inevitably, drove me as crazy as I drove her. The hardest part, though, is seeing her struggle with those thoughts herself. When she was diagnosed, the doctor said she would be fine. Two months later, she's dying.

Don't Tell Me...
    Don't tell

Don't Tell Me...

Don't tell me that you understand, don't tell me that you know,

Don't tell me that I will survive, how I will surely grow.

Don't tell me this is just a test, that I am truly blessed,

That I am chosen for this task, apart from all the rest.

Don't come at me with answers that can only come from me,

Don't tell me how my grief will pass, that I will soon be free.

Don't stand in pious judgment of the bonds I must untie,

Don't tell me how to suffer, don't tell me how to cry.

My life is filled with selfishness, my pain is all I see,

But I need you, I need your love, unconditionally.

Accept me in my ups and downs, I need someone to share,

Just hold my hand and let me cry, and say,

"My friend, I really do care."

Author Unknown
  • DEVIN1016
    DEVIN1016 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    hope0310 said:

Don't Tell Me...
    Don't tell

Don't Tell Me...

Don't tell me that you understand, don't tell me that you know,

Don't tell me that I will survive, how I will surely grow.

Don't tell me this is just a test, that I am truly blessed,

That I am chosen for this task, apart from all the rest.

Don't come at me with answers that can only come from me,

Don't tell me how my grief will pass, that I will soon be free.

Don't stand in pious judgment of the bonds I must untie,

Don't tell me how to suffer, don't tell me how to cry.

My life is filled with selfishness, my pain is all I see,

But I need you, I need your love, unconditionally.

Accept me in my ups and downs, I need someone to share,

Just hold my hand and let me cry, and say,

"My friend, I really do care."

Author Unknown

Hi there. I have read both
    Hi there. I have read both of your posts, along with numerous others and although I am new to this site and havent yet posted anything I felt compelled to respond. Im so sorry for both of you and what you are going through. I too have a Mother who is battling cancer. She was diagnosed at the end of May with a brain tumor and was told the following day she had Stage IV lung cancer. She had surgery to remove the tumor in her brain which was a success and she then underwent 2 weeks of radiation 5 days/week. She had a week off and then began chemo for her lung 1 day a week for 5 hours. She has completed 2 "rounds" of chemo 3 weeks on and one week off. She cannot stand or walk by herself and we were fairly certain this past weekend was the end. She has rallied slightly but doctors feel she is too weak to receive her chemo treatment for at least another 2 weeks. She had last week off, went this week but was too weak and now will be off another 2 weeks in order to try and get her strength up. She had a CT scan on Monday and though the results show the tumor in her lung has gotten smaller it also revealed that the cancer has spread to her adrenal glands and her lymph nodes. I honestly just dont know what to think or expect. I never in a million years would have ever even considered that I might lose my mother this young. My Mother is 55 and I am 27, I have a 18 month old son that I fear will never know and remember the time he spent with his grandmother. My mother is my best friend, I cannot even begin to think of what life will be like without her. To not be able to call her when Im sick, or when my son is sick and I dont know what to do...I just cant imagine it. I want you both to know that you and your Mothers will be in my thoughts and prayers - I pray that we all find the strength to get through this.