So very sad :(

Options
kellyh33
kellyh33 Member Posts: 287
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My Mom had surgery yesterday. Unfortunately, the oncologist was only able to remove Mom's appendix and not the tumor. It was too big and the location interferred with her blood supply.
My beautiful Mom has been given a lousy one year to 18 months to live. My Father wants a second opinion but I fear it won't make a spec of difference. My Mom also told me yesterday she does not want to continue with chemotherapy.

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    ((((Kelly)))). So sorry.
    I'm so sorry, honey. She may change her mind about the chemo when she recovers from the surgery. Chemo can keep tumors at a size where they don't cause pain and can actually make you feel better. But that will be her choice. Again, so sorry.
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    Dear Kelly
    I am soo sorry to hear the news about your Mom's tumor....I'm with Linda, maybe when your mother is feeling better she may decide to do some chemo. They really can manage a lot of this with chemo. My Mom is very sick as well and we let her make the decisions and let me tell you, her decisions can change from day to day. We joke about it now, because one day she will never take another salt pill and the next she has taken 4...Also, please remember that no one knows how long any of us have ..... I think doctors sometimes make predictions that are not always so accurate. Only God knows. None of this takes away your sadness though....I understand how difficult it is to hear this type of news about your mother, and I am sorry you are in this club. Your mother is lucky to have such a caring daughter. Please keep us posted.
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Beat it back
    I keep beating mine back with chemo for now. Mine is too big for the third surgery and I will try this for awhile. Lots of tools are in the doctors' bags these days. She may change her mind, who knows?
    I am sorry that she got this news. Also, some doctors are more pessimistic than others. One of mine is a real prune! Saundra
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Kelly...
    I am sad for you

Kelly...

I am sad for you and your mom but I think she should get a second opinion, too. Maybe it won't help, but it won't hurt, either. If she finds a more hopeful doctor maybe she will change her mind about the chemo.

Carlene
  • eward
    eward Member Posts: 210
    Options
    your beautiful mom
    Must not give up! I know a woman who was given 6 months to live when her breast cancer had spread to her bones and her liver. She lived 7 YEARS longer. I hope your mom reconsiders treatment options and for sure gets another opinion. If she is in the Chicago area, The Block Center in Evanston, IL is a place to research.

My heart goes out to you right now. I am also the daughter of a mom facing cancer. My mom was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago with stage 4 primary peritoneal/ovarian cancer. She is fighting it. She has ups and downs and has been in nearly non-stop chemo since diagnosis. I am trying to focus on the good times we are able to have together.

If you want to email me directly, feel free. ejward@ameritech.net

Hugs,
    Eileen
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Hello Kelly,
    I too am so

Hello Kelly,

I too am so sorry to hear about your mom's prognosis.

There is always the possibility she may change her mind. I remember when I initially swore
    that I would never take chemo again and now you couldn't pay me not to. :-)

Also it is good for her to a least get a 2nd opinion or two.

Last, we really don't know how long we will survive with our cancers (it's almost 4 years for me now and I'm still here), so it just goes to show you the picture may not be as bleak as you think.

I hope all works for the best for your mother, you and your father.

Sharon
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Dear Kellyh33
    I am so sorry to hear this news.

Tina xx
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    I know how she feels
    Kelly, I know how she feels. I had ovarian cancern 20 years ago. It came back in 2008 and I did the chemo. I beat it again. But the chemo really wore me out and I had told myself and others that if I have to go through it again, I don't think I will. In 2010, the "Beast" came back and my doctor said I had to do the chemo again. I said to him (my daughter was in the room)... what else could I do? He said... Well, you can either do chemo or call in hospice. Well naturally I did the chemo again. He said that just to scare me into it. It was pretty good this last time. I just finished up. Not many side effects at all. Your mom might change her mind. Give her time to think.

Will be thinking of you and your mom.
    Linda
  • lenjam
    lenjam Member Posts: 51
    Options
    terrible news to digest
    Sorry for your terrible news, Kelly.
    I to have a mom going through this nasty disease.
    Diagnosed the end of June 2010, 4 or 5 surgies, and frst round of chemo last Friday.
    My mom said she would not do the chemo either and she changed her mind. It's so hard to keep
    the faith and to stay strong when you're so scared about the outcome.
    Maybe the second opinion would be what she needs to give her hope.
    Prayers for you and your family.
  • Myamazingmom
    Myamazingmom Member Posts: 1
    Options
    My amazing mom
    Kelly,

You are not alone, just like the rest of us here.
    My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer first time 8 years ago, she got it back 4 years ago and now 6 months ago we found out it has spread to lungs, liver and the bones.
    She has now done 6 months of chemo, after the first 3 months we got good news that the tumours were reacting well and shrinking but today we got pushed back 2 steps finding out that this time the tumour in the liver has grown. She will begin a new chemo next week that apparently is a pill you take every day or something and its specifically proven well for liver tumours.
    I am devestaded today and I think I have cried liters of liters of tears. But as I started out saying, we are not alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one having my mom sick in this terrible disease but thats so far from the reality.
    While we're in this battle we have to go day by day. Battle by battle.
    Sometimes I comfort myself thinking that as weird as it sounds, it can be seen as a gift to get this REAL TRUE appreciation for each other that MANY MANY people go through their whole life NEVER experiencing.
    I mean, looking at the odds how we will die, it's pretty much either cancer or an accident. And I'd prefer to have the time to reflect, talk, love and live in the present, rather than having my mom be taken away from me in a 2 second accident.
    We are loving eachother so much and we are talking every day. I send her small gifts every couple of weeks and I tell her I love her so much. I am so proud of being her daughter, she is so strong. Sometimes me and my stepdad are the once crying and she is the one who says its alright...
    I just wish she could be with me when I have kids one day, thats my biggest wish.
    But we have to stop thinking about the future and start thinking about now. We dont know anything about the future except that we are all going to die one day.