Sad news today

forme
forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
Hi All,
I thought I would reach out to you all. I just heard that my mother in law has a recurance of her melanoma. She has tried everything from surgery to chemo and rads. The Dr said there is a trial at Moffit hosp in Tampa that she could try. She is thinking about that. She is also thinking about doing nothing. Very sad news for our family. I hope and pray that she will be willing to try the trial tx. Please send her your positive energy. She is in Florida and we are in Cal. Distance is so difficult.
Hoping all of you have a peaceful and healing weekend..
Lisha

Comments

  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    sorry
    Very sorry to hear that, if it was me I would try anything......... I will be praying! Vinny
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    vinny59 said:

    sorry
    Very sorry to hear that, if it was me I would try anything......... I will be praying! Vinny

    Sorry
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully she'll think about the trial. My good thoughts and vibes are on the way.
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Moffitt
    Moffitt is a wonderful hospital. There is a lot of HOPE in that building. Prayers go out to your mother-in-law
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    So sorry
    Hi Lisha,
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I agree with Vinny, I would try whatever means possible to get rid of the melanoma. The distance is so hard to deal with. When someone we love is hurting all we want to do is be near them to hold, love and comfort them. My sisters are having a terrible time dealing with living so far away from me, but we communicate every day which is helping ease their minds. My positive thoughts and prayers will be with you and your mother-in-law and your hubby. We are home for the weekend spending it quietly and peaceful...well as peaceful as one can be while taking prednisone...ha! Today is my last day for taking it...wonder how the next few days will feel!!!! Take care...
    Love....Sue
  • truckingalong
    truckingalong Member Posts: 445 Member
    Bless your mother in law
    Lisha,

    I will be praying for your mother in law's recovery efforts and comfort and also during Rosh Hashana holiday.

    Liz
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591

    Bless your mother in law
    Lisha,

    I will be praying for your mother in law's recovery efforts and comfort and also during Rosh Hashana holiday.

    Liz

    Oh Dang!!!
    Lisha,

    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom in law. Sounds like your family is certainly having more than their share of troubles. I sure hope she decides to go to Moffit, at least to see what they have to say.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Leslie
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    News from Florida
    Hi All,
    Talked to my mom in law today. She goes for her pet scan in Tallahassee tomorrow. Then on Thursday she goes to Tampa and the Moffit Hosp to see about the trial. I think the drug name is Ipilimumab. Anyone ever hear about this new drug. I believe it's a monoclonol antibody type drug.
    I hope and pray that she trys it. Keep sending your good and positive wishes, She can really use them.
    Thanks so much..
    Lisha
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    forme said:

    News from Florida
    Hi All,
    Talked to my mom in law today. She goes for her pet scan in Tallahassee tomorrow. Then on Thursday she goes to Tampa and the Moffit Hosp to see about the trial. I think the drug name is Ipilimumab. Anyone ever hear about this new drug. I believe it's a monoclonol antibody type drug.
    I hope and pray that she trys it. Keep sending your good and positive wishes, She can really use them.
    Thanks so much..
    Lisha

    Thanks for the up-date
    Hi Lisha,
    Glad to hear your mother-in-law is getting this taken care of. Hopefully the doctors will explain to her how important this is and she will try the drug. I'll keep all of you in my prayers. More psoitive energy coming your way.Hope your feeling better tonight.
    Love...Sue
  • midge522
    midge522 Member Posts: 2
    I will remember her in my
    I will remember her in my prayers.
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    midge522 said:

    I will remember her in my
    I will remember her in my prayers.

    Thank you
    Hi,
    Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers for my mom in law. She had the pet scan and the news is bad. She has spread into bone, liver and lung. I pray that she stays hopeful and positive during this time. She goes to Moffit on Sunday and meets with the team on Monday. Its a long drive from her home. She has told us that she will not do any chemo, but will consider a trial. I think she is somewhat confussed and very scared. The trial drug is a type of chemo. I just pray she doesn't give up. Please keep sending her your positive thoughts and prayers. Thank you all so much..
    Lisha
  • cookingirl
    cookingirl Member Posts: 183
    forme said:

    Thank you
    Hi,
    Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers for my mom in law. She had the pet scan and the news is bad. She has spread into bone, liver and lung. I pray that she stays hopeful and positive during this time. She goes to Moffit on Sunday and meets with the team on Monday. Its a long drive from her home. She has told us that she will not do any chemo, but will consider a trial. I think she is somewhat confussed and very scared. The trial drug is a type of chemo. I just pray she doesn't give up. Please keep sending her your positive thoughts and prayers. Thank you all so much..
    Lisha

    Bad News
    Hi - I'm so sorry to hear your latest news. Just wanted to say one of the best days of my cancer life was Oct. 31 when my husband, son and I spent a full day at Moffitt in Tampa. We live on the East coast. I had always said if anyone in our family got cancer, that's where we were going. Very luckily we found a group of 9 Oncologists in our Brevard county who are associated with Moffitt, so it was great to know the one I chose had been on staff at the teaching and research hospital. We had the great fortune of meeing with 5 Doctors for 2 hours before then seeing Dr. Sotomayor, head of the Research Dept. at Moffitt. Everyone we met that day was so compassionate, kind and caring and we felt we got the best possible advice from them. It also confirmed my own Oncologist's treatment, which was good. I would not hesitate to do a clinical trial there, and hope your Mom-in-law will be a candidate. I do understand they have strict guildelines for what they're looking for - I hope she will qualify. Good luck to your family and God Bless - keep us informed.
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member

    Bad News
    Hi - I'm so sorry to hear your latest news. Just wanted to say one of the best days of my cancer life was Oct. 31 when my husband, son and I spent a full day at Moffitt in Tampa. We live on the East coast. I had always said if anyone in our family got cancer, that's where we were going. Very luckily we found a group of 9 Oncologists in our Brevard county who are associated with Moffitt, so it was great to know the one I chose had been on staff at the teaching and research hospital. We had the great fortune of meeing with 5 Doctors for 2 hours before then seeing Dr. Sotomayor, head of the Research Dept. at Moffitt. Everyone we met that day was so compassionate, kind and caring and we felt we got the best possible advice from them. It also confirmed my own Oncologist's treatment, which was good. I would not hesitate to do a clinical trial there, and hope your Mom-in-law will be a candidate. I do understand they have strict guildelines for what they're looking for - I hope she will qualify. Good luck to your family and God Bless - keep us informed.

    Thanks
    Hi ,

    Thanks for sharing the positive experience you had at moffit. She meets tomorrow with a team to see about options. Hopefully she will get into the trial. It is so hard for us out here in Calif. Feels like a million miles away. Are you in Florida ?
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending you my very best wishes and prayers for a very easy last chemo. All the best to you...
    Lisha
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    forme said:

    Thanks
    Hi ,

    Thanks for sharing the positive experience you had at moffit. She meets tomorrow with a team to see about options. Hopefully she will get into the trial. It is so hard for us out here in Calif. Feels like a million miles away. Are you in Florida ?
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending you my very best wishes and prayers for a very easy last chemo. All the best to you...
    Lisha

    Keep us posted
    Hi Lisha,
    Please keep us posted on what your mother-in-law decides to do today. I will keep her in my prayers. I hope everything is going ok for you. So far so good for me, but this week is passing fast and before I know it, it will be time for round 2, (one week from today)...UGH! I have been feeling so good and dred the worry about if I'll feel as good with the 2nd round. This cancer sure does mess with the mind even when the days are going good!
    Take care....Love...Sue
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    allmost60 said:

    Keep us posted
    Hi Lisha,
    Please keep us posted on what your mother-in-law decides to do today. I will keep her in my prayers. I hope everything is going ok for you. So far so good for me, but this week is passing fast and before I know it, it will be time for round 2, (one week from today)...UGH! I have been feeling so good and dred the worry about if I'll feel as good with the 2nd round. This cancer sure does mess with the mind even when the days are going good!
    Take care....Love...Sue

    Update
    Hi All,
    I had a long talk this eve with my Mom in law. She will be starting Chemo tomorrow morning. The Dr told her that she cannot do the trial until she does the whole body chemo. She has only done the leg perfusin type. So, she will be getting carboplatin every three weeks. If after the second round there is no improvement, she will be able to go on the clinical trial drug. I told her to drink drink drink and take her nausea meds. She was only going to take it if she felt nausea. After reading all your posts I told her why wait till you feel sick, take them. Thank you for all you positive thoughts and prayers. I passed them on to her. I also told her that when she gets back home, to join our CSN family.
    Thinking only good thoughts for all of you..
    Lisha

    BTW the photo is of my big girl Lola. All 165 lbs of her LOL
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    forme said:

    Update
    Hi All,
    I had a long talk this eve with my Mom in law. She will be starting Chemo tomorrow morning. The Dr told her that she cannot do the trial until she does the whole body chemo. She has only done the leg perfusin type. So, she will be getting carboplatin every three weeks. If after the second round there is no improvement, she will be able to go on the clinical trial drug. I told her to drink drink drink and take her nausea meds. She was only going to take it if she felt nausea. After reading all your posts I told her why wait till you feel sick, take them. Thank you for all you positive thoughts and prayers. I passed them on to her. I also told her that when she gets back home, to join our CSN family.
    Thinking only good thoughts for all of you..
    Lisha

    BTW the photo is of my big girl Lola. All 165 lbs of her LOL

    trial
    Lisha,
    I wish her all the luck with the chemo. Really push her to join this site if you can. As you know there is a lot of info and great people on here. She will be welcomed to join us in all our little adventures of progress and whatever else that comes along. Really like Lola. We have 2 hotdogs and 2 larger dogs and they are like our kids. John
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    COBRA666 said:

    trial
    Lisha,
    I wish her all the luck with the chemo. Really push her to join this site if you can. As you know there is a lot of info and great people on here. She will be welcomed to join us in all our little adventures of progress and whatever else that comes along. Really like Lola. We have 2 hotdogs and 2 larger dogs and they are like our kids. John

    Yes
    Hi John,
    Thanks for the kind wishes. I have invited her and her daughter whom she lives with to join. Right now they are still in Tampa, till thursday. Then they drive back home. About 4 hours or so.
    I'm glad you like the picture of Lola. I have struggled with the photo thing since joining. So I am really happy that this worked. She is our BIG baby 8 yrs old. She really is the kid in the family. Spoiled rotten of course. LOL.
    Lisha
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    forme said:

    Yes
    Hi John,
    Thanks for the kind wishes. I have invited her and her daughter whom she lives with to join. Right now they are still in Tampa, till thursday. Then they drive back home. About 4 hours or so.
    I'm glad you like the picture of Lola. I have struggled with the photo thing since joining. So I am really happy that this worked. She is our BIG baby 8 yrs old. She really is the kid in the family. Spoiled rotten of course. LOL.
    Lisha

    Lola
    Hi Lisha,
    I was so glad to hear your mother-in-law is doing what the doctors want her to do. I pray she will do ok and all will turn out good for her. I love your picture of Lola, and I love her name! It's a classy name for a classy dog...ha! Looks like she definetely rules the surroundings! Thanks for sharing. Hope you are feeling ok...Love...Sue
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    forme said:

    Yes
    Hi John,
    Thanks for the kind wishes. I have invited her and her daughter whom she lives with to join. Right now they are still in Tampa, till thursday. Then they drive back home. About 4 hours or so.
    I'm glad you like the picture of Lola. I have struggled with the photo thing since joining. So I am really happy that this worked. She is our BIG baby 8 yrs old. She really is the kid in the family. Spoiled rotten of course. LOL.
    Lisha

    Spoiled Rotten
    Lisha,
    Aren't they all spoiled rotten. When you sit and think about it they run the whole show. They know your routine better than you do. Now if we could just teach them to cook. They could probably do that too, but why should they when we just continue to spoil the heck out of them. I could swear they have a 6th sense. Not just doggies either. At least thats the way it is here. hahahaha. John
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    COBRA666 said:

    Spoiled Rotten
    Lisha,
    Aren't they all spoiled rotten. When you sit and think about it they run the whole show. They know your routine better than you do. Now if we could just teach them to cook. They could probably do that too, but why should they when we just continue to spoil the heck out of them. I could swear they have a 6th sense. Not just doggies either. At least thats the way it is here. hahahaha. John

    Rotten to the core
    John,
    Your words are so true.. I have had a Crappy evening and of course Lola knows,so what does she do, she barks her big head off to get my attention. She feels the tension in the room and starts barking. Just adds to my hurting head...Sigh They really do know what is going on around them...
    Lisha
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    forme said:

    Update
    Hi All,
    I had a long talk this eve with my Mom in law. She will be starting Chemo tomorrow morning. The Dr told her that she cannot do the trial until she does the whole body chemo. She has only done the leg perfusin type. So, she will be getting carboplatin every three weeks. If after the second round there is no improvement, she will be able to go on the clinical trial drug. I told her to drink drink drink and take her nausea meds. She was only going to take it if she felt nausea. After reading all your posts I told her why wait till you feel sick, take them. Thank you for all you positive thoughts and prayers. I passed them on to her. I also told her that when she gets back home, to join our CSN family.
    Thinking only good thoughts for all of you..
    Lisha

    BTW the photo is of my big girl Lola. All 165 lbs of her LOL

    wrong chemo drug
    Hi All,
    I was just updated from family in Florida about the chemo for my mom in law. It is going to be Dacarbazine, not carboplatin. Anyone have any experience with this drug. I looked it up and saw that it is also used to treat lymphoma..
    Lisha