Had my first chemo yesterday

Options
winsomebulldog
winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I had my port placement yesterday morning early, followed by my first chemo. I am feeling just plain fine. I had just a hint of nausea yesterday evening, but that might well have been due to the fact that I'd been sleeping for a while and when I woke up, hubby and I went out to run some errands and I never did grab myself a snack. So I took a compazine, just to make sure it didn't get any worse and I felt just fine a few minutes later. Other than that, I had a fair amount of acid reflux yesterday, and I've got just a bit of an off taste in my mouth. So far I've only found one thing that I flat out can't eat and that's blue cheese dip. Hubby had some with some carrots last night and it was just way too bitter for me to eat. I did find out today that I'm a little sensitive to pepper, which kinda stinks because I flat out LOVE hot and spicy food and drench almost everything I cook in black pepper. I reckon that'll have to stop for a while at least.

So, I just wanted to give an update. I'm in the midst of my steroid high, feeling all kinds of fine. I've got decadron to carry me through Thursday, then I'll be done with them so I reckon Friday will be my crash. I plan to live it up until then! As my chemo nurse, Candi, says, "Eat, drink, & be merry so long as you feel good." Of course, her "drink" is not alcohol, but water, water, water! Or something. Anything so long as I keep hydrating! :)

I got my Neulasta shot this morning, so here's hoping I don't get knocked on my rear by bone pain tonight or tomorrow or at all, for that matter. I'm all hyper from the steroid, so I'm trying to get some things done before I crash. I laughed and told hubby that I also feel like eating everything while I still can, just in case a time comes when I can't keep eating the things I really like. It's all in my head, but I want to munch, munch, munch! LOL

Gotta go for now. I'm gonna get to work looking for some hats and scarves. I haven't really ordered anything yet. I did get my tote from the Lydia Project a couple of days ago and I love it. So cute! And so sweet, too.

Hope everyone else is doing well out there. Love and blessings to all the pink sisters!

Jennifer

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Congrats on getting the port
    Congrats on getting the port and your first chemo done! You are so brave! I hope you have only minimal, if no side effects!

I will bump up a really helpful post that has lots of websites to get free scarves, hats and other stuff too. You might get some of them. It is called HELPFUL WEB SITES.

Take care Jennifer,

Megan
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hey Jennifer,
    Congratulations, 1 chemo down! Glad you are handling it well. Hope all continues that way. Enjoy the steroid energy. Hope your "crash day" isn't too bad. Hugs, Jean
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm glad to hear
    Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're feeling good! About the hats & scarves - did i give you the link to the couple of places that I got free hats & scarves from? I know I've posted the info a few times on here, but I can't remember if I gave them to you or not :) I just bought myself a CUTE vintage Christian Dior logo silk headscarf yesterday on ebay, i can't wait to get it!
    I got pain from neulasta, but mine was delayed. Seems like it's the worst 4-5 days after I get my shot. Not that terrible, though. I had to get painkillers called in 2 weeks ago after my 1st neulasta, because i was so achy everywhere. Just needed to take them for 2 days, then regular tylenol did the trick.
    Drink drink drink & rest rest rest. I so wish I would get that energy burst from the steroids that everyone else gets! They just make me cranky and hard to fall asleep!
    *hugs*
    heather
  • WomanofTroy
    WomanofTroy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Megan M said:

Congrats on getting the port
    Congrats on getting the port and your first chemo done! You are so brave! I hope you have only minimal, if no side effects!

I will bump up a really helpful post that has lots of websites to get free scarves, hats and other stuff too. You might get some of them. It is called HELPFUL WEB SITES.

Take care Jennifer,

Megan

My first chemo tx tomorrow morning!
    Hi Ladies, It was nice to see your posts here. I have been looking for an online forum that would keep my spirits high during this time.

I was dianosed with triple negative breast cancer on July 16th, 2010 Thanks to quick thinking by my husband, I transfered medical groups two days later seeking a better line of treatment. Things have gone very fast as I have had several biobsies, PT scans, etc. and am already having chemo. tomorrow. I will undergo this process for approx. 4 months then have a mastectomy followed by radiation. It is my understanding, I am receiving excellent treatment therefore offering a higher survivorship. So far, I have no Lymph nodes or cancer anywhere else involoved.

I am very discouraged everytime I read ANYthing about Triple neg. on the internet. It is right up there with letting me know I have a 50% chance of survival. Medical journals offer a MUCH higher rate of success post two year tx.

In closing, I am wanting to hear all of the stories of high success right now as I need encouragement.

It is nice to meet all of you, I wish you much success in your travels onto victory.

Blessings,

M.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're feeling good! About the hats & scarves - did i give you the link to the couple of places that I got free hats & scarves from? I know I've posted the info a few times on here, but I can't remember if I gave them to you or not :) I just bought myself a CUTE vintage Christian Dior logo silk headscarf yesterday on ebay, i can't wait to get it!
    I got pain from neulasta, but mine was delayed. Seems like it's the worst 4-5 days after I get my shot. Not that terrible, though. I had to get painkillers called in 2 weeks ago after my 1st neulasta, because i was so achy everywhere. Just needed to take them for 2 days, then regular tylenol did the trick.
    Drink drink drink & rest rest rest. I so wish I would get that energy burst from the steroids that everyone else gets! They just make me cranky and hard to fall asleep!
    *hugs*
    heather

Nice job, Jennifer
    Hope you continue on the smooth road. One less chemo to do. Good luck in the days ahead. Keep that fighting spirit.

Hugs, Renee
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    missrenee said:

Nice job, Jennifer
    Hope you continue on the smooth road. One less chemo to do. Good luck in the days ahead. Keep that fighting spirit.

Hugs, Renee

Thanks for posting, Jen...
    I was worried about you and how you were going to handle all of that in one day! You are a real trouper!!!! After that, it's all downhill from here on out. Sounds like you have a great game plan and great support system and GREAT ATTITUDE!!!! God bless, Lorraine
  • lookrider
    lookrider Member Posts: 10
    Options
    taking bets on whether or not i need chemo
    i have been reading the posts for a few months now but this is my first post. i was diagnosed with er/pr+ her2- IDC. had a bilateral mastectomy with sentinel node on aug 12th. found some micro metastasis so went in for an axillary node dissection on the 23rd. have been told there is no further cancer. tomorrow i will see the oncologist for the first time. do you gals think he will recommend chemo? i know he will push the tamoxofin and i am really againt this just becasue of the five year thing with all of the side effects for that duration. what are your experiences, thoughts, etc???
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Jennifer so glad
    all went well with your first chemo treatment yesterday. I too had a bit of acid reflux and found there were certain foods that didn't sit well. I found that eating small meals every few hours worked best. I had my 2nd treatment today and Neulasta tomorrow. I found that the 3rd day after my Neulasta was when the bone aches & pains started but extra strength Tylenol worked well. They lasted about 3 days. Yes, drink lots of water!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Options

*hugs*
    heather

Yep, you posted several
    Yep, you posted several sites and I've already requested some things. I got my bag from The Lydia Project a few days ago. It is just so cute, and the letter they wrote was very sweet. It's such a great program!

I also did a Google search for hats & scarves & have ordered a few things. I've got a friend though, who is going to make me some stuff. Her, or her sister, who is already making some scarf ties for someone she knows that has another kind of cancer. (My friend and all her sisters just ooze talent!) My friend went rummaging through her considerable stash of fabrics this afternoon to find stuff for me. She is the most precious person. I just love her! It really does make such a difference having a good support system in place. It breaks my heart to read the posts of those who are facing this fight without personal support. Thank goodness we all can come here to find friendship, support, encouragement, advice, and pretty much anything else we need.

Love and prayers to you all,

Jenn
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    One down
    If you have anti-puke pills, take them even if you feel you don't need them still. I do chemo Thursdays and if I stop taking pills Sat nite, will feel nauseous Sunday. I've got to remember to take them on Sunday also.

Take care, cindy
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options

My first chemo tx tomorrow morning!
    Hi Ladies, It was nice to see your posts here. I have been looking for an online forum that would keep my spirits high during this time.

I was dianosed with triple negative breast cancer on July 16th, 2010 Thanks to quick thinking by my husband, I transfered medical groups two days later seeking a better line of treatment. Things have gone very fast as I have had several biobsies, PT scans, etc. and am already having chemo. tomorrow. I will undergo this process for approx. 4 months then have a mastectomy followed by radiation. It is my understanding, I am receiving excellent treatment therefore offering a higher survivorship. So far, I have no Lymph nodes or cancer anywhere else involoved.

I am very discouraged everytime I read ANYthing about Triple neg. on the internet. It is right up there with letting me know I have a 50% chance of survival. Medical journals offer a MUCH higher rate of success post two year tx.

In closing, I am wanting to hear all of the stories of high success right now as I need encouragement.

It is nice to meet all of you, I wish you much success in your travels onto victory.

Blessings,

M.

Hi
    I too am a tnbc survivor. I was dxed june, 09. I had double mast., 4 month of hard chemo, and tram-flap recon. last dec.. I too worry about reoccurence. If you'd like you can e-mail me at webbwife50@yahoo.com. God bless
    Alison
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

One down
    If you have anti-puke pills, take them even if you feel you don't need them still. I do chemo Thursdays and if I stop taking pills Sat nite, will feel nauseous Sunday. I've got to remember to take them on Sunday also.

Take care, cindy

I am there right besides each and everyone of you Chemo
    Queens .. I have walked that very difficult road before you, and I am here to tell you all that you WILL get thru this .. it will suck big time, but not always .. and Thank your lucky stars that you have a 2 week break between treatments.

Be kind, and remember to take very good care of yourself - whenever possible.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam