Finished Chemo Today!!

Options
Chickadee1955
Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ladies, I wanted to share that today was my final cycle of Taxotere/Cytoxin! WhooHoo!!!
Phase One-Mastectomy-Done.
Phase Two-Chemotherapy-Done.
Phase Three-Reconstruction with expanders implanted. (I'm still considering adding a for real tummy tuck to the surgery as my reward for weathering this BC storm so bravely :=)
In a month of so I can schedule my reconstruction and begin my anti-hormone meds.

The treatment went by incredibly fast and was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated; at least part of which is due to all of you sharing your experiences and encouragement. I had a couple of oddball side effects that would have scared me to death (or at least to the ER) had I not seen previous posts describing the very same thing. There is so much comfort in hearing the experiences of others.

Thanks to all of you!

Deborah

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!! Thats
    WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!! Thats awesome Deborah....you go girl!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Yippee
    Oh Deborah that is such wonderful news, I am so very happy for you! Time to celebrate, CONGRATULATIONS!

RE
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Yay Deborah!!!!
    Great news! Hope you are feeling okay. I finished my taxotere/cytoxin last Wednesday. It is a great feeling. Just curious....do you still have hair? Hugs, Jean
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    Good for you, so glad you're done!

Kind regards, Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Yay Deborah!!!!
    Great news! Hope you are feeling okay. I finished my taxotere/cytoxin last Wednesday. It is a great feeling. Just curious....do you still have hair? Hugs, Jean

Deborah .. Congratulations on completing Chemo ... and
    thinking about a future without bi-weekly visits to your oncologist ... It's truly a great feeling ..

Vicki Sam
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Yay Deborah!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    I am so happy for you! That is the same chemo I had and I did well too. So glad you are done!! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Yay Deborah!!!!

Jean
    I noticed you just finished CT also. How did your hair do? I actually shaved my head but had a couple of spots (small ones) that I think would have stayed. I finished July 2nd and am getting some fuzz. I have a few hairs that are an inch or little longer, just a few though. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Awesome!
    Good for you, so glad you're done!

Kind regards, Susan

Funny about the hair....
    Thanks for all the congrats, it is wonderful to know that the next two weeks will be the end of the side effects and numerous doctor visits.

I have never lost all my hair. Day 15 my hair started coming out in clumps, so I shaved my head. Turns out that the clumps were all that jumped ship (or scalp) and my hair has continued to grow throughout treatment. I have hair over most my head about 1/2" long. I have never lost my eyelashes, eyebrows, nose hair, arm/leg or unmentionables completely; just thinning. My onc kept telling me they would eventually go, but she admitted last week it looks like they're here to stay.

I am in hopes the extra poundage is not here to stay! Although it shows how truly superficial I am, my biggest emotional hurdle in all this experience has been to put on weight and know I will have to struggled (again) to take off that same old 20 pounds that has hounded me since puberty. I call them my '20 pounds of grief) as I seem to accumulate them whenever I have a life crisis. Think there could be a book in that???

Thanks to all again. I pray for you all.

Deborah
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

Jean
    I noticed you just finished CT also. How did your hair do? I actually shaved my head but had a couple of spots (small ones) that I think would have stayed. I finished July 2nd and am getting some fuzz. I have a few hairs that are an inch or little longer, just a few though. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Janice,
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Right before my 2nd treatment my hair started to come out (in strands not clumps). I couldn't bring myself to shave my head, so I got it cut really short. The picture on here was taken just 2 weeks ago. My hair has thinned, but didn't fall out completely.

I wear my wigs out sometimes. There is a picture of my red wig under my expressions page.

Also, never lost my eyebrows or lashes. I did get my legs waxed right before chemo and they are still smooth. Underarm also not growing. My onc said one of her patients didn't lose her hair until after her 4th treatment. So there is a possibility that it may all still come out, but that's okay. I had it this long.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Deborah! I
    Congratulations Deborah! I am so happy for you!

Hugs,

Debby
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Deborah congrats
    on finishing chemo today! I had my 2nd treatment and so far doing well. I bet you're glad to be moving forward. Good luck with reconstruction.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Janice,
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Right before my 2nd treatment my hair started to come out (in strands not clumps). I couldn't bring myself to shave my head, so I got it cut really short. The picture on here was taken just 2 weeks ago. My hair has thinned, but didn't fall out completely.

I wear my wigs out sometimes. There is a picture of my red wig under my expressions page.

Also, never lost my eyebrows or lashes. I did get my legs waxed right before chemo and they are still smooth. Underarm also not growing. My onc said one of her patients didn't lose her hair until after her 4th treatment. So there is a possibility that it may all still come out, but that's okay. I had it this long.

Big congrats!

Big congrats!