Started work today

Options
Betsy13
Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm a teacher and I went back to work today. I was exhausted at 1:30. Got home around 4:00. Took a nap and slept for about an hour. Woke up with headache and nauseated.

When, oh when, will I get rid of these side effects? I don't remember the last time I felt good. I called my rad. onc. and asked. They couldn't answer me because they thought they would be gone by now.

I'm calling my family doc tomorrow and asking for a full blood work up. Asking for thyroid, anemia, and vitamin deficiencies (see if I have any). I am doing this at my rad. onc. suggestion.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I don't have any good
    I don't have any good suggestions, but wanted to let you know that I am sorry you are having a rough time and hope you feel better soon. Sending cyber hugs!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Betsy
    I hope you get some answers from your blood workup. As a teacher you really need to feel well rested in order to be of benefit to the children. Hoping for a positive outcome. {{hugs}}
    Char
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Betsy
    I hope you get some answers from your blood workup. As a teacher you really need to feel well rested in order to be of benefit to the children. Hoping for a positive outcome. {{hugs}}
    Char

I am much better but not
    I am much better but not back to normal, finished rads May 13. I would think getting back to work would be exhausting. I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts, I dont know when I am going back but my PT says to expect to feel like a truck hit me. endurance needs to be built up again.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Sorry i dont have any ideas
    Sorry i dont have any ideas but i just wanted to say thats great that you returned to work and im sorry its rough on you...just take care of yourself.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Sorry i dont have any ideas
    Sorry i dont have any ideas but i just wanted to say thats great that you returned to work and im sorry its rough on you...just take care of yourself.

Great Idea .. CBC .. complete blood panel -- check Iron
    levels ... Be kind to yourself, nap and rest when possible --- Good luck,

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    update
    Not much better today. Didn't have time to nap when I got home. Getting ready to go to bed.
    I will have blood workup on Thursday and will hopefully get answers. If all is normal, then it's just the side effects from radiation and will have to be patient.

The good news is I did get permission from my principal to bring in a pillow and sleeping bag and take a nap during my plan time which is usually my nap time :)

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I greatly appreciate it!
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Betsy13 said:

update
    Not much better today. Didn't have time to nap when I got home. Getting ready to go to bed.
    I will have blood workup on Thursday and will hopefully get answers. If all is normal, then it's just the side effects from radiation and will have to be patient.

The good news is I did get permission from my principal to bring in a pillow and sleeping bag and take a nap during my plan time which is usually my nap time :)

Wonderful
    That's great, Betsy! If you can take some naps during your plan time I'm sure you will start feeling better soon. Just don't try to push yourself too much if you aren't feeling well.

The kids will understand if you aren't your usual "world class teacher" every day.

Take care and keep us posted on how your blood workup goes on Thursday.
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Betsy13 said:

update

Tired
    Hi Betsy,

I finished rads in December and STILL nap every Fri, Sat & Sun afternoon. I NEVER napped before BC. When I can't get in my nap then I'm usually in bed by 9:00!

Don't push yourself...you'll get there!! Teaching is a very demanding job and it will take some time!

Patti
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Betsy13 said:

update

So great
    It's so great that you'll be able to rest during the day. Hopefully either the blood work will show something simple, or it's just a matter of getting your endurance back up. Which ever it is, be good to yourself. Your strength will come back.

marge
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Betsy13 said:

update

Betsy,
    I'm glad that you are

Betsy,
    I'm glad that you are having tests done. It's good to rule out anemia, Vitamin D deficiency etc. Rads can do a number on you and it can last but there are other issues that could be contributing to your fatigue and if they are there they can be treated and if not, well then at least they have been ruled out. Glad that they are being accomodating to your need for rest. You will be a more effective teacher if you have that chance to recharge. Hope the fatigue begins to ease for you.
    Stef