Infection - now what?

Options
Jennifer1961
Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi. Had round 4 of TAC last Friday. Several days before I had tooth/jaw pain, but figured it was just due to stress. I saw a dentist on Monday, because I felt so crappy from chemo I tried to go to someone new close by. Big mistake. Three days later my pain was worse and my jaw began to swell. Dentist says I have infection and probably need a root canal. Oncologist says no root canal until chemo is over. So first of all I'm scared that I'll have to postpone my next chemo, so I'm asking if anyone has gone through this and what happened in regard to chemo treatments. Second I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN! What happens is the antibiotics don't do the job? I have a call into my oncologist but havent' heard back yet.

Thanks everyone!

Jennifer

Comments

• smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Has either Dr, put you
    Has either Dr, put you antibiotics yet?? The sooner the better. The pain will stop when you are put on them and it takes the infection down. How often do you have Chemo. It usually takes about 10 days of antibiotic to work. But it should not be put off. Probably best to get them from you Oncologist so he / she knows what you are on and for how long Good luck to you. I hope you are feeling better soon. And don't have to put off Chemo.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Teeth
    Jennifer,
    I had problems with my teeth and getting infections. One my dentist did a root canal on and the other had to be pulled. Both were done while I was on chemo. If possible get on the antibiotic then about your second week out have the work done. That is what I did and I didn't have many problems. It sure beat the pain and suffering. I always tried to have this done the end of second week or very first of third. I hope it works out for you.

Janie
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    See an endodontist
    Do not, I repeat, do not see a dentist about this. You need to see an endodontist asap!

Here is my story. Excruciating tooth pain was keeping me up all night. Antibiotics did nothing. Dentist started root canal (never closed it). Pain continued. My physician father insisted I see an endodontist at the local dental school. Turns out the dentist was doing the wrong tooth. It took the endodontist 10 sec to figure this out as he had a much more sophisticated xray machine. I had an abscess in a different tooth. Ended up with 2 root canals for no reason. You can't tell which tooth is affected by pain as the nerves are twisted, so you think one tooth hurts but it may be another.

I would see the endodontist even though onc says no root canal. If you have an abscess, it may be necessary to treat it by "opening" the tooth. It is hard for antibiotics to get into the tooth sometimes. Let the endodontist know exactly what your chemo is and give him your onc's phone # and let them work it out.
  • Jennifer1961
    Options

Has either Dr, put you
    Has either Dr, put you antibiotics yet?? The sooner the better. The pain will stop when you are put on them and it takes the infection down. How often do you have Chemo. It usually takes about 10 days of antibiotic to work. But it should not be put off. Probably best to get them from you Oncologist so he / she knows what you are on and for how long Good luck to you. I hope you are feeling better soon. And don't have to put off Chemo.

Been on antibiotics for
    Been on antibiotics for three days now. Dentist prescribed but oncologist knows what her prescribed.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

See an endodontist
    Do not, I repeat, do not see a dentist about this. You need to see an endodontist asap!

Here is my story. Excruciating tooth pain was keeping me up all night. Antibiotics did nothing. Dentist started root canal (never closed it). Pain continued. My physician father insisted I see an endodontist at the local dental school. Turns out the dentist was doing the wrong tooth. It took the endodontist 10 sec to figure this out as he had a much more sophisticated xray machine. I had an abscess in a different tooth. Ended up with 2 root canals for no reason. You can't tell which tooth is affected by pain as the nerves are twisted, so you think one tooth hurts but it may be another.

I would see the endodontist even though onc says no root canal. If you have an abscess, it may be necessary to treat it by "opening" the tooth. It is hard for antibiotics to get into the tooth sometimes. Let the endodontist know exactly what your chemo is and give him your onc's phone # and let them work it out.

I didnt have this problem
    I didnt have this problem but wanted to wish you well, and hope this clears up soon!
  • Jennifer1961
    Options

See an endodontist

Dentist referred me to
    Dentist referred me to endodontist but oncologist wants me to wait until after chemo is done. Still have a call into the oncologist. I plan on begging to get the root canal. He never talked to me only the dentist so he may not be aware of how much pain I'm in and how swelled up I am. I swear, two hours after I take pain meds (alternating Ibuprfin and Vicadin) I'm in pain again. I know I shouldn't take the stuff that often so I suffer for awhile before I take more. Every round it's something.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

Dentist referred me to
    Dentist referred me to endodontist but oncologist wants me to wait until after chemo is done. Still have a call into the oncologist. I plan on begging to get the root canal. He never talked to me only the dentist so he may not be aware of how much pain I'm in and how swelled up I am. I swear, two hours after I take pain meds (alternating Ibuprfin and Vicadin) I'm in pain again. I know I shouldn't take the stuff that often so I suffer for awhile before I take more. Every round it's something.

my rec
    Even if the onc doesn't want you to have a root canal, I would see an endodontist, because, if you have an abscess, chemo could make it worse. Let the endodontist at least look at it. Then, if the endodontist does find an abscess, let him work with the onc.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Jennifer I haven't
    had a tooth problems yet. However, prior to starting chemo I was told to go for my regular teeth cleaning and not to see a dentist after treatment has started unless I talk to oncologist first. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I think you should see an Endodontist but after you talk to your oncologist. Wishing you pain relief and sending cyber {{hugs}}.
    Char
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    At least have the dentist
    At least have the dentist put you on a strong antibiotic and a good prescription pain killer immediately. My dentist won't even start a root canal till I've had a round of antibiotics. There is almost nothing worse than abscessed tooth pain.

With good pain killers, you can feel better right away and if you get right antibiotics, infection should start healing by tomorrow.

Take care, Cindy
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    yikes! i hope you're getting
    yikes! i hope you're getting some relief soon! this makes me nervous, I have a dentist appointment this morning to have a tooth pulled. It's been bad for a while, but with having no insurance it kind of got put on the back burner. Thankfully it's one of my back molars so it won't be a cosmetic issue (no hair, not much boobs yet, I'll be damned if I'm going to have a missing tooth in my smile too!).
    Tooth pain and earaches -2 of the worst pains ever that you just can't live with for long. I'm hoping you get your relief asap!!
    *hugs*
    heather
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    By the way, if you have a
    By the way, if you have a regular dentist, you should just have him call your pharmacy. You shouldn't even have to go in.

Take care, Cindy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

By the way, if you have a
    By the way, if you have a regular dentist, you should just have him call your pharmacy. You shouldn't even have to go in.

Take care, Cindy

Same experience as Cypress C ... My Onc stated no
    pain injections (interferred with my TCH) consective, Tuesday chemo treatments (18 weeks total) ... so I went in and had my Dentist work on my teeth with no pain med's - I was jumping in my chair every 5 seconds due to the PAIN. IDIOTS - kept water and cold air going non stop in my mouths .. hitting my exposed nerves and tooth. It took me changing dentist's and many painfull visits to fix - 1 tooth. Memories I choose to forget ... OUCH ...now I think I'll go lay down and cry .. just from memories that are now flooding back ..

Vicki Sam
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

pain injections (interferred with my TCH) consective, Tuesday chemo treatments (18 weeks total) ... so I went in and had my Dentist work on my teeth with no pain med's - I was jumping in my chair every 5 seconds due to the PAIN. IDIOTS - kept water and cold air going non stop in my mouths .. hitting my exposed nerves and tooth. It took me changing dentist's and many painfull visits to fix - 1 tooth. Memories I choose to forget ... OUCH ...now I think I'll go lay down and cry .. just from memories that are now flooding back ..

Vicki Sam

What would it hurt
    If you postponed your chemo by 1 week. I did it a few times while on chemo for other things. You may have to have it pulled out. At least the pain would stop. I went to oral surgeon yesterday and had 2 teeth pulled. He put me to sleep, no problems. I don't hurt at all. Didn't have to take any pain meds.
    Please don't let that onc. make you stay in pain that is bs.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Oh NO Vicki
    That was midevil torture. I can't even imagine what you went thru. Like I stated I went to oral surgeon who put me to sleep. Woke up no problems, felt like I took a nap.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I didnt have this problem
    I didnt have this problem but wanted to wish you well, and hope this clears up soon!

Wishing you well too. I
    Wishing you well too. I hope someone can help you out. Let us know.

Hugs, Debby