Nerve pain following radiation

Options
m_azingrace
m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, my dear sisters. My BC is stage 4 with mets to bone (organs are clear so far). I have been having some discomfort in my upper left arm, where there is a tumor. This month, after MRI, Xrays and PET/CT scan, my onc decided it was time to consider radiation to that area. I met with the radiologist. After reveiwing my history and all the tests, and conferring with the oncologist and the orthopaedist, he agreed that the arm needed rads, but he also recommended an area on my lower spine. (I had known about those spots too). So, even though I don't have what I would call pain--the discomfort in my arm is quite peculiar, I know something is not right, but it's not exactly pain). Anyway, although I don't have bone pain, all the doctors agreed that I should have rads. As it turns out, there are actually 3 places on my spine that are being treated, as well as the upper arm. So, 10 treatments in all, one each weekday, with the weekends off.

I had the first one this past Thursday, then one on Friday. On Friday afternoon I started feeling a kind of "pins & needles" pain down my backside and into both my legs...sort of like my legs were going to sleep. I called, but the dr was gone for the day. The person I spoke to said I could take Tylenol or Ibuprophen, but don't use any heat. And if I was still in pain after taking the meds, I should call the after hours number. As it turned out, the Tylenol did the trick. However, this discomfort comes and goes, especially if I sit too long. Also I have difficulty getting comfortable for sleeping. Apparently, the radiation has irritated the nerves in my back and they are fighting back.

Well, after all that long explanation, my questions are: 1. have any of you had a similar experience? and 2. what did you do about it? I do plan to mention it to the technicians tomorrow, and the radiologist when I see him on Tuesday, but in the meantime, I want to gather as much information as I can about this.

Thank you all for your continuing support. Hugs and blessings. Gracie

Comments

• linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options
    neuropathy?
    Your "pins and needles" sound like the neuropathy that a lot of us have as a result of chemo. I didn't hear of anyone having it after radiation, though. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some information on that. Good luck.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Although I have not had
    metastasis or rads I suffer from similar "pain" or neuropathy. I have degenerative disc disease and lumbar spinal stenosis. I also shattered my left shoulder and no longer have a humeral head. I often have wierd somewhat painful sensations in the left shoulder. If I sit or stand too long I get nerve pain through my butt into my sciatica and sometimes my feet go numb or my knee gives out on me. My niece who has MS also gets the leg & feet numbness. If Tylenol works then take it. I have arthritis medication and Flexeril if it gets bad. I also have Lidoderm patches and a TENS unit. I hope your radiologist can offer some helpful suggestions. My oncologist had me go for a PET scan last Monday and I have my 2nd chemo on Tuesday so I'm hoping to get the results. It's hard to distinguish between arthritic pain or something else! Sending {{hugs}}
    Char
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

neuropathy?
    Your "pins and needles" sound like the neuropathy that a lot of us have as a result of chemo. I didn't hear of anyone having it after radiation, though. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some information on that. Good luck.

I never had that feeling
    I never had that feeling with rads, so, you should tell your rads oncologist. He is the expert in this field and should know. Let us know what you find out. Hoping he can help you.

Hugs, Jan
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Although I have not had
    metastasis or rads I suffer from similar "pain" or neuropathy. I have degenerative disc disease and lumbar spinal stenosis. I also shattered my left shoulder and no longer have a humeral head. I often have wierd somewhat painful sensations in the left shoulder. If I sit or stand too long I get nerve pain through my butt into my sciatica and sometimes my feet go numb or my knee gives out on me. My niece who has MS also gets the leg & feet numbness. If Tylenol works then take it. I have arthritis medication and Flexeril if it gets bad. I also have Lidoderm patches and a TENS unit. I hope your radiologist can offer some helpful suggestions. My oncologist had me go for a PET scan last Monday and I have my 2nd chemo on Tuesday so I'm hoping to get the results. It's hard to distinguish between arthritic pain or something else! Sending {{hugs}}
    Char

Gracie--I have had lumpectomy, chemo and rads
    and I have occasional pins and needles in my affected upper arm as well as a heavy, achy feeling at times. I also have occasional very sharp needles going through that breast--enough to make me say "ouch!" and try to rub it away. The surgeon says it's from having 23 nodes removed and nerves waking up and reconnecting.

Quite frankly, I would rather have the total numbness I felt for the first few months. Who would have thought that would be the better deal?!

I hope you get some relief from your pain.

Hugs, Renee
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    missrenee said:

Gracie--I have had lumpectomy, chemo and rads
    and I have occasional pins and needles in my affected upper arm as well as a heavy, achy feeling at times. I also have occasional very sharp needles going through that breast--enough to make me say "ouch!" and try to rub it away. The surgeon says it's from having 23 nodes removed and nerves waking up and reconnecting.

Quite frankly, I would rather have the total numbness I felt for the first few months. Who would have thought that would be the better deal?!

I hope you get some relief from your pain.

Hugs, Renee

Update
    Thanks to everyone for your kind responses and good wishes! I had treatments yesterday and today, with no more of this peculiar pain. After today's treatment I met with the radiologist, who assured me that this was not a direct effect of the radiation. However, he does think it may be from the positioning during treatment, as the cradle is designed to facilitate accuracy. This can mean that the patient might be uncomfortable, or have stress on various muscles and/or nerves. He said that since I had no problem yesterday or today, that my body is adjusting to the cast. But if this does happen again, or gets worse instead of better, I should tell them. I am having rads to the upper arm, and my lumbar region. The treatments seem to be going well, and tomorrow I'll be half-way through.
    Thanks again to you all for your continuing care, support and encouragement. Hugs & Blessings, Gracie
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Update
    Thanks to everyone for your kind responses and good wishes! I had treatments yesterday and today, with no more of this peculiar pain. After today's treatment I met with the radiologist, who assured me that this was not a direct effect of the radiation. However, he does think it may be from the positioning during treatment, as the cradle is designed to facilitate accuracy. This can mean that the patient might be uncomfortable, or have stress on various muscles and/or nerves. He said that since I had no problem yesterday or today, that my body is adjusting to the cast. But if this does happen again, or gets worse instead of better, I should tell them. I am having rads to the upper arm, and my lumbar region. The treatments seem to be going well, and tomorrow I'll be half-way through.
    Thanks again to you all for your continuing care, support and encouragement. Hugs & Blessings, Gracie

That is great that you are
    That is great that you are halfway through Gracie! And, happy that the pain seems to have subsided for now. But, let your techs and rads oncologist know if it comes back. You shouldn't be in any pain.

Sending you hugs and prayers,

Debby
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

Update

Gracie
    I'm glad you were able to talk with the rad tech. I hope repositioning works and no pain returns but if it does make sure to tell them. Sending {{hugs}}
    Char