Removing fluid from abdomen

Options
Eve1
Eve1 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was dianosed in 08 with stage 4 colorectal cancer I just started my second round of chemo which consists of erbitux and camptosar. Recently a c-scan showed fluid build up in my abdomen and I'm having it removed tomorrow. I'm told this entails an ultra-sound and a long needle. Sounds painful!! Can anyone tell me their experience with this? Thanks, Eve

Comments

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    local painkiller used via IV tube. Was hooked up to CT scan so doctor could see fluid and select best route to get to it with needle to withdraw fluid. When needle first inserted somewhat deeply in upper buttock I yelled and immediately was given additional pain med which was all I needed for rest of procedure. You can watch your self on screen if positioned in that direction. Very little discommfort the next day; previous night no fluids or food after midnight or so....Hope this helps; should be little to worry about.....steve
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Pray it goes well
    Eve,

I just want to say I pray that it goes well!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • coolvdub
    coolvdub Member Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Pray it goes well
    Eve,

I just want to say I pray that it goes well!

*hugs*
    Gail

CT guided drainage
    Hi Eve,

I have gone through this procedure for abdominal fluid drainage also. They will numb you up via an IV a stated earlier. It really isn't to bad at all. Then it's just going through the scan and then they mark the spot and then insert the needle and do their thing. Just have to lay still and try and relax.

Don
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    aspiration
    I has almost two liters of fluid aspirated a few months ago. It was totally painless, I was awake and it was cool to watch. When they were done seeing all the large syringes filled with the fluid was a bit disconcerting though.
  • RickMurtagh
    Options
    aspiration
    bah - duplicate
  • RickMurtagh
    Options
    aspiration
    bah - duplicate
  • Eve1
    Eve1 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Fluid in abdomen.
    Thank You everyone for your comments. I had the fluid removed last Tuesday. It was over a quart and a half! Needless to say I lost some weight. I also found out that my port needed replaced that day and I had a allergic reaction to tape. All in all s really sucky day. Oh well, The good news was that the fluid contained no cancer cells so that was great Thanks again everyone.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Eve1 said:

Fluid in abdomen.
    Thank You everyone for your comments. I had the fluid removed last Tuesday. It was over a quart and a half! Needless to say I lost some weight. I also found out that my port needed replaced that day and I had a allergic reaction to tape. All in all s really sucky day. Oh well, The good news was that the fluid contained no cancer cells so that was great Thanks again everyone.

Yay for no cancer cells!
    I'm glad there was a bit of good news in all that!

*hugs*
    Gail