Longterm damage from treatments - words of wisdom from an Old Timer

Options
CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had this in another thread and thought I would bring it out on its own; again not to scare but to empower! I would absolutely have the same treatment as I am alive to discuss this (so please don't stop treatment), but I want everyone to be aware that there can be long term effects.

Radiation, chemo, surgery, etc can weaken/damage lungs, heart, esophagus, etc. Many of the ill effects will not be noticed for decades.

In 2008, I had a mild heart attack after I had been 21 yrs out from breast cancer. I am not overweight, have low blood pressure, have no family history of heart disease. There was an article at http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/new_research/20070306b.jsp
that I had read not long before the heart attack. Especially left-sided radiation is risky for the heart--which is what I had.

Luckily, I was aware that it was a possibility and when I had chest pain radiating down my left arm accompanied with sudden nausea and vomiting, I had my hubbie call 911. The EMT's took one look at me (thin, female, etc) and dismissed my symptoms as esophageal spasm. They didn't bother to even start an IV ("we'll let them do that at the hospital"). At the hospital, again I was told it was probably esophageal spasm and could go home if I wanted!

I didn't and my second set of cardiac enzymes confirmed what I feared. Suddenly, everyone was rushing around me and I was whisked off to cardiac cath where I was told that I had indeed had an MI.

If I hadn't been informed by web sites such as the one here, I may have blown off my symptoms and I may have left the hospital too early.

Hopefully, this will save someone else's life. I am fine now--although on a beta blocker, statin, ace inhibitor and aspirin for life. My blood pressure which was always about 90/60 is now 80/50 on a good day!

Here is another web site mentioning longterm side effects from radiation: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Breast/Livingwithbreastcancer/Afterradiotherapy.aspx

Another article from Duke calling for a new field in medicine, cardio-oncology: http://www.cancer.gov/ncicancerbulletin/030910/page6

Don't live in fear and do get treated (because we know how awful cancer is), but it pays to be diligent and to stay informed.

Comments

• Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Cynthia, I am so sorry that
    Cynthia, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. Thank God you are ok. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I have always been a litlle wary about my having had adriamycin as it is expecially hard on the heart.

Now that I have read your story, I will be extra insistent with medical personnel if something should happen.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    You have been through a lot
    You have been through a lot Cynthia. Thanks for posting this information for all of us.

Wishing you many, many years of good health.

Hugs, Jan
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

You have been through a lot
    You have been through a lot Cynthia. Thanks for posting this information for all of us.

Wishing you many, many years of good health.

Hugs, Jan

Thank you
    Sorry for your heart attack. My friend who is 48 just had similar case too. I will check those sites out. I had radiation on my left side too,
    Wishing you a successful treatment with your current conditions.
    Hugs
  • CypressCynthia
    Options

Thank you
    Sorry for your heart attack. My friend who is 48 just had similar case too. I will check those sites out. I had radiation on my left side too,
    Hugs

Statins
    Thanks. There are some researchers at Duke who are considering putting survivors on a statin to prevent heart disease. If I knew then what I know now, I would have been on a statin as my cholesterol was borderline and my doc left it up to me.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Sometimes it's a trade-off.
    Sometimes it's a trade-off. Have to have treatment and hope for the best. Mine was on the right side and the doc told me that was good because it wasn't over the heart. But sometimes we have other problems. Thanks for the info.
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Sometimes it's a trade-off.
    Sometimes it's a trade-off. Have to have treatment and hope for the best. Mine was on the right side and the doc told me that was good because it wasn't over the heart. But sometimes we have other problems. Thanks for the info.

treatment first and foremost
    I agree. The treatment has enabled me to be an "old timer". Without the treatment, I would have died long ago. And the heart attack was a "mild" one--excellent collaterals so no bypass or stent. But if I hadn't been aware, it could have been so much worse. Think if I had gone home early from the hospital, etc. These message boards are so important to me because I learn so much!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

treatment first and foremost
    I agree. The treatment has enabled me to be an "old timer". Without the treatment, I would have died long ago. And the heart attack was a "mild" one--excellent collaterals so no bypass or stent. But if I hadn't been aware, it could have been so much worse. Think if I had gone home early from the hospital, etc. These message boards are so important to me because I learn so much!

Valuable information .. thank yo for sharing
    I just had my 3rd echo on my heart, Friday 8/27 due to my year long herceptin treatment -- always on my mind ..long term effort.

Treatment first and foremost - always // Our health and care is so important something that I've forgotten just feeling sorry for myself having breast cancer and enduring months of chemo, surgeries and doctor's appointments.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time
    Thanks for taking the time to inform all of us. I had radiation on the left side, so this is good to know. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Thanks for taking the time
    Thanks for taking the time to inform all of us. I had radiation on the left side, so this is good to know. xoxoxoxo Lynn

Thank you so much for the info
    I took six rounds of Adriamycin plus had rads on the left side as well (double risk for the heart). But, as the others have said, you do what you have to do and hope for the best as far as the side effects go. All these therapies and treatments have enormous risks, but the risk of not doing them is far worse.

This is good information for all of us and I appreciate hearing from you.

Hugs, Renee
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    missrenee said:

Thank you so much for the info
    I took six rounds of Adriamycin plus had rads on the left side as well (double risk for the heart). But, as the others have said, you do what you have to do and hope for the best as far as the side effects go. All these therapies and treatments have enormous risks, but the risk of not doing them is far worse.

This is good information for all of us and I appreciate hearing from you.

Hugs, Renee

I Read information on chemo drugs
    The other side of this is also that there is a certain percentage of the population that is very sensative to whatever they do to us and that has to do with genetics. I am one and actually knew all the side affects with chances of happening. Your right I found empowering especially when I knew it was possible when trying to get my health issues addressed. They couldn't just write it off to anxiety because I read everything...
    Tara
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Thank you
    Hugs

I'm sorry to read about your
    I'm sorry to read about your heart attack too. Wishing you good health in your future.

Hugs, Debby