extreme mother-daughter bonding....

Options
2»

Comments

• 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You've got to be kidding me.......
    Oh Heather, How truly sorry I am to read this thread, it's such a shock to hear this. My prayers are with you and your mom.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Heather
    I am so sorry to read this post that your mother has bc too. You have been so strong throughout your ordeal that I know you will be a strength for your mother too. Your dad sounds like a very caring man and I'm sure he will give strength and support for both of you. I had the BRCA testing done because I was worried about my 34 year old daughter and her 2 daughters. My son-in-law's grandmother is also a bc survivor. I tested negative but I still worry since I'm the 5th in my family with bc. Your daughter is very intuitive. Let her ask questions but assure her that you and your mother will be all right and she needn't worry. Your proactive attitude is a plus. I've been getting mammos since I was 35 and my daughter will have her baseline next year. She has talked to her gyn extensively about this issue.

As for your mother's arthritis, I too have degenerative disc disease. I broke both shoulders from falling and have had so many surgeries. I have a prosthesis in my right shoulder and had 3 discs fused in my neck. I see my spine surgeon in September. I also have lumbar spinal stenosis. So, I know what arthritis pain is like and let me tell you the Neulasta shot made every bone in my body ache but I did get through it. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Hope your headache is better.....
    We are survivors.

{{hugs}} Char
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

Mother
    Oh Heather - I am so sorry to hear about your mother! But I know that you will help her get through it. You are so strong and positive and such a great role model (what a reversal of roles!) that I'm sure she will do fine. She is lucky to have you!
    Linda

I'm so sorry about your
    I'm so sorry about your Mother. You can both find strength in each other for both of you to get thru this. Praying for the two of you!

Jan
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Heather
    I am so sorry to read this post that your mother has bc too. You have been so strong throughout your ordeal that I know you will be a strength for your mother too. Your dad sounds like a very caring man and I'm sure he will give strength and support for both of you. I had the BRCA testing done because I was worried about my 34 year old daughter and her 2 daughters. My son-in-law's grandmother is also a bc survivor. I tested negative but I still worry since I'm the 5th in my family with bc. Your daughter is very intuitive. Let her ask questions but assure her that you and your mother will be all right and she needn't worry. Your proactive attitude is a plus. I've been getting mammos since I was 35 and my daughter will have her baseline next year. She has talked to her gyn extensively about this issue.

As for your mother's arthritis, I too have degenerative disc disease. I broke both shoulders from falling and have had so many surgeries. I have a prosthesis in my right shoulder and had 3 discs fused in my neck. I see my spine surgeon in September. I also have lumbar spinal stenosis. So, I know what arthritis pain is like and let me tell you the Neulasta shot made every bone in my body ache but I did get through it. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Hope your headache is better.....
    We are survivors.

{{hugs}} Char

Genetic testing-Char??
    Thanks again everyone for your support and encouragement...i've been keeping myself busy with making sure mom's ok (not overdoing it though-don't worry!)...makes me feel better to take care of her (at least emotionally), doesn't give me time to sit around and feel sorry for myself.
    Char - where do you have the genetic testing done? Do you request it from your oncologist? Does insurance pay for it? In my case I didn't have health insurance at my time of diagnosis but I'm on Medicaid. I really want to look into this because as you know I have 2 daughters. Would they need to be tested too? That's one aspect of this breast cancer thing that I really know next to nothing about!!
    And giiirl, this headeach is NOT going away! It's sinus/allergy related. I have meds to take at night to relieve & prevent them, but I'm half afraid to take them because of everything else that I'm on! I'm going to have to look into it because I wake up with the headache, I've been taking pain meds over the weekend because I got a neulasta shot on Friday & I'm really sore throughout my back, hips & legs from that, so they help keep the headache at bay during the day, but at night it starts throbbing & is usually very intense -until my sleeping pill kicks in & i can drift off to sleep. My new slogan has become "I have a pill for that..."

*hugs*
    Heather
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Genetic testing-Char??
    Thanks again everyone for your support and encouragement...i've been keeping myself busy with making sure mom's ok (not overdoing it though-don't worry!)...makes me feel better to take care of her (at least emotionally), doesn't give me time to sit around and feel sorry for myself.
    Char - where do you have the genetic testing done? Do you request it from your oncologist? Does insurance pay for it? In my case I didn't have health insurance at my time of diagnosis but I'm on Medicaid. I really want to look into this because as you know I have 2 daughters. Would they need to be tested too? That's one aspect of this breast cancer thing that I really know next to nothing about!!
    And giiirl, this headeach is NOT going away! It's sinus/allergy related. I have meds to take at night to relieve & prevent them, but I'm half afraid to take them because of everything else that I'm on! I'm going to have to look into it because I wake up with the headache, I've been taking pain meds over the weekend because I got a neulasta shot on Friday & I'm really sore throughout my back, hips & legs from that, so they help keep the headache at bay during the day, but at night it starts throbbing & is usually very intense -until my sleeping pill kicks in & i can drift off to sleep. My new slogan has become "I have a pill for that..."

*hugs*
    Heather

Heatherbelle.. this has worked for me ... 12 years and
    counting .. SEVERE headaches due to allergy or stress .. Get 2 ice packs, wrap them in kitchen towel .. also needed 1 heating pad .. lay down .. place heating pad on med. lay pad on top of your feet.

Place 1 ice pack, frozen peas, or any other frozen veggie under your neck, place remaining ice pack on top of your forehead covering your eyes if necessary .. say in place for 10 to 15 minutes .. repeat every hour until that damn headache disappears! I swear by this!

Neulasta shots also gave me nasty lasting headaches .. however, I use the above ice/heat and away they went ..

Hoping you feel better..

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Heatherbelle.. this has worked for me ... 12 years and
    counting .. SEVERE headaches due to allergy or stress .. Get 2 ice packs, wrap them in kitchen towel .. also needed 1 heating pad .. lay down .. place heating pad on med. lay pad on top of your feet.

Place 1 ice pack, frozen peas, or any other frozen veggie under your neck, place remaining ice pack on top of your forehead covering your eyes if necessary .. say in place for 10 to 15 minutes .. repeat every hour until that damn headache disappears! I swear by this!

Neulasta shots also gave me nasty lasting headaches .. however, I use the above ice/heat and away they went ..

Hoping you feel better..

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam

heather sorry about your
    heather sorry about your mom, two strong ladies for sure, i hope it all comes out early with minimal treatment.
    My mom was diagnosed after me, stage 0 she had rads and hormonal therapy and is doing great.
    I had genetic testing, insurance covered it. there are new tests that are out that I may have again. I have taught my daughters self breast exam there is a card in their bathroom. I was able to tell them my first genetic test was negative. I try to encourage good eating and exersize. I really believe in the exersize part. also maintaining a healthy weight. they will start mammos at age 24 ten years before the age I was diagnosed. I wonder if they will ger MRI's. i am also looking at high risk clinics. I feel so guilty about their risk, I had them before my diagnosis. but then would I have chosen not to have them? I cant imagine, it tears me up to think of them getting this.you are right though we have to do more research.
  • MomMichelle
    MomMichelle Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Heather,
    I am so sorry to

Heather,

I am so sorry to read that your mom was diagnosed as well. Life sure is weird. It is amazing that that you have been able to be there for her and now the two of you can be there for each other. I am glad it sounds like they found it at a very early stage and she will be fine...you are right. I will definitely keep you and your mom in my prayers. She is lucky to have such a great daughter!

Hugs,
    Michelle
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

Heather,
    I am so sorry to

Heather,

I am so sorry to read that your mom was diagnosed as well. Life sure is weird. It is amazing that that you have been able to be there for her and now the two of you can be there for each other. I am glad it sounds like they found it at a very early stage and she will be fine...you are right. I will definitely keep you and your mom in my prayers. She is lucky to have such a great daughter!

Hugs,
    Michelle

Heather
    there was a genetic counselor at the hospital where I had my surgery. She was part of the Cancer Center. My surgeon sent me for the testing and yes my insurance covered it. It had to be preapproved because it costs over $3000. I have a long family history of bc. I'm the 5th in my immediate family on my mother's side and my father had a couple of sisters who also had bc. The BRCA I and II did not show up on mine but I was told that my gene probably hasn't been discovered yet. I donated tissue from my mastectomy to cancer research. Maybe in time it will help someone else. And, although I was tested and negative, neither of my sisters had the testing done. I'm the oldest of 4 girls and we all had one daughter each and my daughter has 2 girls and my son is about to have his 2nd girl. So yes, I worry about all of them. About all we can do is to emphasize self breast exams and to have mammo every year! Since I had a bilateral mastectomy no more mammos for me :-)
    Char
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Sorry about your Mama Heather
    Sending prayers your way. Your Mom is so lucky to have you. You are a strong woman and I'm hoping everything will be okay. Give your girls a hug for me. Jean

Sending prayers and hugs to
    Sending prayers and hugs to you and your Mom!

Leeza