Some things just strike me as odd.

Options
Hubby
Hubby Member Posts: 325
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This is on 1in9.org the Long Island Breast Cancer Action Coalition web site. Maybe they could have found a more sensitive way to phrase this:

UPCOMING EVENTS

September 16

Mets Breast Cancer Awareness Night at 7:10 p.m.

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    NY Mets
    I assume???

Yep, someone not familiar with the battle penned that one. I'm sure it was an innocent mistake, but it does make you look twice if you're sensitive to the term.
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm--yeah
    I can think of 100 different ways to phrase this. Why not just have it as a Breast Cancer Awareness event and leave it at that? Why even bring up "mets" unless they are trying to draw in more people that have metastatic breast cancer.

Just one of the many things that make you go "hm" in this journey, I guess. :-\
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    New York Mets
    Yes it is an event at a New York Mets Baseball game, but the phrasing is directly from a breast cancer site.
  • survives
    Options
    Hubby said:

New York Mets
    Yes it is an event at a New York Mets Baseball game, but the phrasing is directly from a breast cancer site.

For Pete sake!!
    Hubby,

Are you saying that the baseball team sponsors this event?? Clearly then, I AM confused. I thought it pretained to metastatic bc! Just pretend I didn't answer......sorry.

(slinks away---face aflame!)

(not even gonna sign off!)
  • survives
    Options
    Hubby said:

New York Mets

For Pete sake!!
    Hubby,

Are you saying that the baseball team sponsors this event?? Clearly then, I AM confused. I thought it pretained to metastatic bc! Just pretend I didn't answer......sorry.

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    survives said:

For Pete sake!!
    Hubby,

Can't stop laughing
    Okay, it was already an oddity as Hubby says, but Survives, you crack me up. I don't want to pretend you didn't answer because your response was so guileless and pricelss and now there you are slinking away -- just too funny. Honestly, Survives, if it weren't you, it would have been with me. I'm just laughing at the whole goopy humanity of it all.

xo,
    Victoria
  • survives
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Can't stop laughing
    Okay, it was already an oddity as Hubby says, but Survives, you crack me up. I don't want to pretend you didn't answer because your response was so guileless and pricelss and now there you are slinking away -- just too funny. Honestly, Survives, if it weren't you, it would have been with me. I'm just laughing at the whole goopy humanity of it all.

xo,
    Victoria

Well,
    it even posted twice!!!! Where is my invisibility coat?????
    Man!!

(face now so red, it is glowing, and can be see from the space station)
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Maybe they should have stuck with the Yankees!
    You would think that someone at the Breast Cancer Coalition would have caught that!

Don't worry Survives - I had to look twice to realize that it might be the NY Mets and not the "other" ones that we definitely would rather not have to hear about!
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

Maybe they should have stuck with the Yankees!
    You would think that someone at the Breast Cancer Coalition would have caught that!

Don't worry Survives - I had to look twice to realize that it might be the NY Mets and not the "other" ones that we definitely would rather not have to hear about!

Oh, Survives
    I saw that, too, the double posting -- that's SOOOOO the kind of thing that happens to me. Laughing with you, at all of it.

Victoria
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Oh, Survives
    I saw that, too, the double posting -- that's SOOOOO the kind of thing that happens to me. Laughing with you, at all of it.

Victoria

I didnt even think of the
    I didnt even think of the mets at all. so I 'm withyou survives!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I didnt even think of the
    I didnt even think of the mets at all. so I 'm withyou survives!

And if hadn't been...
    ...survives, Victoria, or carkris, it would have been ME!

Baseball -- sports of any kind -- just aren't part of my genetic makeup, so I truly thought it referred to met(atastase)s until I scrolled down to Cindy's post.

Frankly though...an event promoting awareness of Breast Cancer Met(astase)s would be a fine idea.

If we build it, they will come!

:-) Traci
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

And if hadn't been...
    ...survives, Victoria, or carkris, it would have been ME!

Baseball -- sports of any kind -- just aren't part of my genetic makeup, so I truly thought it referred to met(atastase)s until I scrolled down to Cindy's post.

Frankly though...an event promoting awareness of Breast Cancer Met(astase)s would be a fine idea.

If we build it, they will come!

:-) Traci

This is turning into a true
    This is turning into a true funny isn't it? Now I thought that it meant mets as in the cancer spreading and that this miswording was because they called it an Event. I think of an event as a happy thing so I thought that was the "bad". I didn't even think of the NY METs and wouldn't it have been better to list it as NY METS sponsor blah blah blah. In any event I love that we are all sharing the misunderstanding of the wordage and the humor. Survives don't even slink away with a red face. Walk forward proudly as one of the Daft Sods because wouldn't Tasha have had a great time with this. Thanks for the laugh, although that was not the intent. Once when I left work along my regular route home there was a sign on the street near my office that read "the bus does not stop here". Don't know why that popped into my head but it did. It still makes me laugh.
    Stef
  • survives
    Options
    fauxma said:

This is turning into a true
    This is turning into a true funny isn't it? Now I thought that it meant mets as in the cancer spreading and that this miswording was because they called it an Event. I think of an event as a happy thing so I thought that was the "bad". I didn't even think of the NY METs and wouldn't it have been better to list it as NY METS sponsor blah blah blah. In any event I love that we are all sharing the misunderstanding of the wordage and the humor. Survives don't even slink away with a red face. Walk forward proudly as one of the Daft Sods because wouldn't Tasha have had a great time with this. Thanks for the laugh, although that was not the intent. Once when I left work along my regular route home there was a sign on the street near my office that read "the bus does not stop here". Don't know why that popped into my head but it did. It still makes me laugh.
    Stef

Just goes to show
    all of you that I'm not from the north, and no, not a sports fan! Wow!! The Daft Sods! I hadn't heard that term in ages!! Lololol! I like it. Think I'll rename myself that!! In light of all the drama, I think we needed a laugh. Did steal the thread though, Hubby, and I'm sorry....well, not really. Fauxma, I don't know who Tasha is.

My face has gone from flaming, to slightly pink...appropriate, don't you think??
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    survives said:

Just goes to show
    all of you that I'm not from the north, and no, not a sports fan! Wow!! The Daft Sods! I hadn't heard that term in ages!! Lololol! I like it. Think I'll rename myself that!! In light of all the drama, I think we needed a laugh. Did steal the thread though, Hubby, and I'm sorry....well, not really. Fauxma, I don't know who Tasha is.

My face has gone from flaming, to slightly pink...appropriate, don't you think??

METS
    I do find humor in this, but I must be honest. Until I found myself with Metastatic Breast Cancer I would have NEVER thought of any other meaning than the NY Mets are holding a Breast
    Cancer Awarenes Night - hooray for them! I know now that we need as much support as we can get.

Marsha
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    NY Mets
    Nope, never would have thought of NY Mets (not a sports fan).

Very interesting post.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    survives said:

Just goes to show

Tasha was one of our sisters
    Tasha was one of our sisters who injected good advice, great humor and love into this board. She was from England, lives in Canada and started many of us oldies using the term Daft Sods. We had a club, a branch for our pets. She was a gem on this board but a problem with an ex caused her to leave the board. The term Daft Sod just seemed to fit this occasion and how so many of us didn't get the mets reference. And Hubby I also apologize for hijacking this thread.
    Survives, I love the slightly pink. Very appropriate.
    Stef