taxol dossages

Options
kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
HI everyone, I had a good report from my doc, which was music to my ears, after being off chemo for 3 months. (I did do anti-estrogen treatments that helped hold things at bay.) THe CT was clear, although CA was up a bit.

I will start weekly taxol next Friday. I am curious, for those of you who are doing some form of taxol, what your dosages are. I did it 3 years ago with the carbo and received 175mg/m2 once every 21 days, with very good results, and some remission time. THis time I will get 60mg/m2 weekly, see how that goes, and adjust accordingly. My gyn/onc isn't ruling out adding in the carbo later, as that really brought my numbers down when added into the doxil.

Well, off to do some swimming.

Hugs all around,
kathleen

DX 6-07 OvCa 3C and living life to the fullest

Comments

• Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    Options
    formulae
    You are so on top of things! Just wanted to contribute that the dosages are determined by some complicated tables used by oncologists in keeping with standards of practice. My veterinarian brother got a good look at the process when he questioned my mother's dosages. The tables allow for numerous variables, and we were really relieved to see how comprehensive and sophisticated they are. Good luck, Kathleen!
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Barbara53 said:

formulae
    You are so on top of things! Just wanted to contribute that the dosages are determined by some complicated tables used by oncologists in keeping with standards of practice. My veterinarian brother got a good look at the process when he questioned my mother's dosages. The tables allow for numerous variables, and we were really relieved to see how comprehensive and sophisticated they are. Good luck, Kathleen!

Don't they also adjust it
    Don't they also adjust it for your weight?
  • leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Don't they also adjust it
    Don't they also adjust it for your weight?

It also is dependent on your
    It also is dependent on your blood work. My doctor had to make some of my numbers worse than they are because otherwise my dosage would have been toxic. (errrr...more toxic?)

Apparently, I'm disgustingly healthy except for that pesky little cancer thing!
    ;)

Leesa
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    leesag said:

It also is dependent on your
    It also is dependent on your blood work. My doctor had to make some of my numbers worse than they are because otherwise my dosage would have been toxic. (errrr...more toxic?)

Apparently, I'm disgustingly healthy except for that pesky little cancer thing!
    ;)

Leesa

Thanks,
    gals for your input. For the gold standard taxol they give after surgery, the dose is usually 180 or 175mg multiplied by body surface (and that is calculated by body weight times height? I think) every 21 days. For the lower dose they give weekly, it can be anywhere from 60mg to 90 mg times m2 (body surface). Soooooo, at the risk of sounding a bit anal retentive, I was interested in knowing how many mg the weekly taxol gals were receiving.

After going back and forth about it, and looking at different studies, I think we have settled on 80mg x m2 every week, AND now my doctor wants to add in the carbo at AUC6. I am pleased with this, as I haven't had carbo/taxol in 3 years and I had very good results with that 3 years ago.

On a different note altogether, we are having scorching weather here and it is just not letting up!!! Over 100 PlUS high humidity every day. They are saying another few weeks of this. I have switched my thinking to being grateful for all the sweating, as it is getting rid of all the toxic stuff in my body, but still getting old. Thanks for letting me dump!!

Hugs,
    Kathleen
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    kayandok said:

Thanks,
    gals for your input. For the gold standard taxol they give after surgery, the dose is usually 180 or 175mg multiplied by body surface (and that is calculated by body weight times height? I think) every 21 days. For the lower dose they give weekly, it can be anywhere from 60mg to 90 mg times m2 (body surface). Soooooo, at the risk of sounding a bit anal retentive, I was interested in knowing how many mg the weekly taxol gals were receiving.

After going back and forth about it, and looking at different studies, I think we have settled on 80mg x m2 every week, AND now my doctor wants to add in the carbo at AUC6. I am pleased with this, as I haven't had carbo/taxol in 3 years and I had very good results with that 3 years ago.

On a different note altogether, we are having scorching weather here and it is just not letting up!!! Over 100 PlUS high humidity every day. They are saying another few weeks of this. I have switched my thinking to being grateful for all the sweating, as it is getting rid of all the toxic stuff in my body, but still getting old. Thanks for letting me dump!!

Hugs,
    Kathleen

I asked my doctor....
    My Taxol maintenance dose is about 155 mg/m2 - almost the full dosage that is standard for the initial Carbo/Taxol regimen.

For weekly treatment (aka Dose Dense Taxol combined with one or more other drugs) the dose is much lower.

There is a single-agent weekly Taxol maintenance, sometimes given for NED patients, but I have no idea what the dosage is, or for how long it is prescribed.

A lot of doctors don't believe in maintenance chemo at all. For those that still recommend it though, I think the one year regimen is most common.

Carlene