2»

Comments

• Gatoraid
    Gatoraid Member Posts: 66
    Options

Hi Rob
    I agree, the staging

Hi Rob
    I agree, the staging is important and I was surprised to see that he has not had that done yet. How is an ultra sound going to show that? I would think they would do the staging with the scope, or the pet scan. They both show much more detail than an ultra sound. You are both doing an excellent job! Keep up the good work, and have him start his treatments a.s.a.p. We will be thinking of you and praying for you.
    Tina

Endoscopic Ultrasound
    Hi Tina,

With this test they put a tube down your throat while undergoing some kind of cat scan. It uses sonar and can tell which of the 4 layers of the esophagus are impacted by the tumor. To accurately stage, this information is needed. During this procedure they will also biopsy the 2 lymph nodes involved. Without this information I am assumed to be stage III but if the outer wall of the esophagus is not effected and the lymph nodes were not cancerous I would e a stage I. Depending on stage, I've been told that it would make the differance between chemo and radiation followed by surgery, followed by more chemo (stage III assumption) or surgery up front followed by chemo (stage I or II). I want to know to make sure that I am making the right choices.

Be well, Jim aka gatoraid
  • JimsBrother
    JimsBrother Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Gatoraid said:

Endoscopic Ultrasound
    Hi Tina,

With this test they put a tube down your throat while undergoing some kind of cat scan. It uses sonar and can tell which of the 4 layers of the esophagus are impacted by the tumor. To accurately stage, this information is needed. During this procedure they will also biopsy the 2 lymph nodes involved. Without this information I am assumed to be stage III but if the outer wall of the esophagus is not effected and the lymph nodes were not cancerous I would e a stage I. Depending on stage, I've been told that it would make the differance between chemo and radiation followed by surgery, followed by more chemo (stage III assumption) or surgery up front followed by chemo (stage I or II). I want to know to make sure that I am making the right choices.

Explaination of tests for diagnosis
    This is an excellent video that explains all testing used to make an accurate diagnosis and staging. This is from the Mayo clinic and was very well done and extremely informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIVWNjIOmd4

Copy and paste that into your browser.

Rob
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Gatoraid said:

Endoscopic Ultrasound
    Hi Tina,

Hello Jim Thank you for
    Hello Jim
    Thank you for explaining your procedure to me. Now that makes more sense. Hoping for it to be only a stage I or II. You are very smart for going about it this way! Best of luck to you. Keep in touch.
    Tina