Swimming with cancer thoughts

Options
forme
forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi,
I am new to this board. I have been in the thyroid and lymphoma ones. I need some advice .
My summer started off with a elevated tumor marker for thyroid ca, I have had one recurrence with mets, already. While waiting for various tests to arranged, I had to have an emergency ct scan. From there I was told I needed a lymphoma workup. My symptoms were pointing in that direction. I have had 2 more ct and a pet/ct. Now I am being worked up for ovarian ca. I was told that they found a large cyst? and since I went through menopause in my 40s from the rads for the thyroid ca, the drs are concerned. So, now some of my symptoms can also fit with ovarian ca. I am feeling so overwhelmed right now. I really need some advice on what to do and what were some early symptoms. I am planning on having an ultrasound in the next week or so. Thanks for listening to my long post. I am starting to get more scared as the days go on.
Lisha

Comments

• clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Symptoms
    Hi Lisha,
    When I went to the doctor years ago for my yearly exam, he said that my uterus was 2 to 3 times its normal size. He ordered an ultra sound and he said I had several spots that he was concerned with. He had me into surgery the following week. The only symptom I really had was that I couldn't hold my yearn. I had to go to the bathroom all the time. This was probably due to the tumors pressing on my bladder. My one tumor was the size of a small football and the other the size of a softball. I actually had a flat stomach at the time and I don't know how they were crammed in there.

I will be praying for you Lisha. Try to focus and keep your mind busy on other things. I know that is easier said than done.

Hugs to you,
    Linda
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are few
    Unfortunately, there are few early warning symptoms of OC. I was stage IIIc at diagnosis and my symptoms were urinary urgency, bloating in the mid-section, constipation, and a nagging, not terrible, pain in the middle of my upper abdomen, just below my ribcage. I thought it must be my gall bladder; my doctor concurred. Obviously, it wasn't.

A CA125 blood test should give them a better clue, as will a vaginal ultrasound.

What symptoms do you have?
  • forme
    Options

Unfortunately, there are few
    Unfortunately, there are few early warning symptoms of OC. I was stage IIIc at diagnosis and my symptoms were urinary urgency, bloating in the mid-section, constipation, and a nagging, not terrible, pain in the middle of my upper abdomen, just below my ribcage. I thought it must be my gall bladder; my doctor concurred. Obviously, it wasn't.

A CA125 blood test should give them a better clue, as will a vaginal ultrasound.

What symptoms do you have?

Thanks
    Hi,
    My symptoms are, feeling full after eating small amounts,bloated feeling, pain on my left side going towards the middle of my abdomen.1 ct showed enlarged spleen and liver. low grade fevers, so so tired , sometimes just walking around the house is to much. some shortness of breath,some constipation, some night sweats, itchy legs , not all the time. vague nausea and mostly just feel unwell. As you can see, my symptoms also fit with lymphoma. But of course the newest finding is from the latest pet/ct and ct that showed the cyst? on the ovary. was told that I should not have any cysts this far into menopause. I went through it about 14 years ago. So its not recent for me. I do have a younger sister that had breast ca when she was in her mid 40s. I do plan on getting the ultrasound done. But mostly I am feeling so tired with all the tests and dr visits. I forgot to mention that on Monday, my ortho dr told me that I need a new knee. That will just have to wait until everything else is sorted out and done with. By the way, I am 55 years old. Thanks for listening to me, I am trying so hard not to be scared. I just need a true dx so that I can feel better.
    Thanks all, Lisha
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Options
    forme said:

Thanks
    Hi,
    My symptoms are, feeling full after eating small amounts,bloated feeling, pain on my left side going towards the middle of my abdomen.1 ct showed enlarged spleen and liver. low grade fevers, so so tired , sometimes just walking around the house is to much. some shortness of breath,some constipation, some night sweats, itchy legs , not all the time. vague nausea and mostly just feel unwell. As you can see, my symptoms also fit with lymphoma. But of course the newest finding is from the latest pet/ct and ct that showed the cyst? on the ovary. was told that I should not have any cysts this far into menopause. I went through it about 14 years ago. So its not recent for me. I do have a younger sister that had breast ca when she was in her mid 40s. I do plan on getting the ultrasound done. But mostly I am feeling so tired with all the tests and dr visits. I forgot to mention that on Monday, my ortho dr told me that I need a new knee. That will just have to wait until everything else is sorted out and done with. By the way, I am 55 years old. Thanks for listening to me, I am trying so hard not to be scared. I just need a true dx so that I can feel better.
    Thanks all, Lisha

I understand completely. If
    I understand completely. If I were you, I would ask my doctor to do a CA125. It's fast, cheap, and easy (sounds like some of the teenage girls my grandson hangs out with...LOL). It is specifically to judge tumor activity in Ovarian Cancer.

Carlene
  • forme
    Options

I understand completely. If I were you, I would ask my doctor to do a CA125. It's fast, cheap, and easy (sounds like some of the teenage girls my grandson hangs out with...LOL). It is specifically to judge tumor activity in Ovarian Cancer.

Carlene

I agree
    Hi Carlene,
    Thanks for the advice. I will call my pcp asap and ask for the blood test. This is easy for me. Only one needle stick....I'll keep you posted. Have a lovely weekend.
    Lisha
  • forme
    Options

Carlene

question
    Hi, I called to ask for the blood test. Being faxed to the lab as I type. I'll go over later this afternoon. My question is this, if the test is normal, would you still go ahead with the ultrasound test or would you just leave things as is. Sounds like a silly question now that I have typed it out. But thought I would ask anyways. Thanks...
    Lisha
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Cyst
    Hi Lisha,

It's quite possible you have a cyst. My husband's aunt had one for years, and when she started having back pains and other problems, I told her it would be a good time to have an exam done. Her sister died of ovarian cancer. Her cyst had gotten a little larger, so she decided to have her ovaries removed laporascopically. It was a very easy procedure, and she had very little recovery time (took a 500 mile trip the next day with her son!). She was 73, and had the cyst from at least when she was in her 40's.

While you do have symptoms that could be attibuted to OVCA, they can be from other problems, too. I've been reading a book on gastrointestinal problems-almost every thing listed in there has bloating, constipation, back pain, lack of appetite...you get the picture.

Keep your fingers crossed, get the CA-125 test, and hope for the best!
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Options
    forme said:

question
    Hi, I called to ask for the blood test. Being faxed to the lab as I type. I'll go over later this afternoon. My question is this, if the test is normal, would you still go ahead with the ultrasound test or would you just leave things as is. Sounds like a silly question now that I have typed it out. But thought I would ask anyways. Thanks...
    Lisha

I would still have the
    I would still have the ultrasound. Some women do not experience the rise in CA125 that accompanies most cases of OC.

Carlene