Any heard of or tried trail studies

Options
SDickerson
SDickerson Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Dx in April of this year with triple negative bc. Tumor in my left breast was large. Started off with chemo, AC. Went back for 2nd round and the doc said tumor had grown. Switch chemo to carbo and one week later blood count went to 0. Went into hospital, which resulted in kidney failure. I had the tumor removed in June and then went to radiation. Just finished and now my onc wants me to do a PARP inhabitor trail study which involves 4 rounds of cistplatin and PARP inhabitor.

Anyone else been in a trail study???

Shannon

Comments

• Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't know
    I don't know anything about this study nor have I participated in any, but I wish you well. So sorry you had such a bad time from chemo.

God bless us all. MM
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am on one for
    AVastin. Don't know about Parp trial study
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options

I am on one for
    AVastin. Don't know about Parp trial study

Shannon
    I am in a trial study for TAX vs TC. There are 2000 women participating, 1000 taking TAC and 1000 taking TC. They are trying to see if the elimination of Adriamycin will give the same recurrence results as someone who takes Taxotere and Cytoxin only. The Adriamycin is such a strong chemo, it would be great if it could be eliminated fromtreatment. Unfortunately, I was one of those chosen to take all three. The treatment itself was harsh, and they have taken great pains to monitor me much more frequently than normal. I went through all kinds of tests prior to beginning treatment (Breast MRI, PET scan, CAT scan, Bone Scan, MUGA, ...these were all BEFORE starting treatment. I am rescanned each year, and will do so for five years. The trial is part of a study being conducted by Johns Hopkins Hospital, although my treatment is at Texas Oncology in Tyler, Texas. There has not been any results posted yet, but I see my onc next week, and will check on the study then. I am interested to know what, if any, results have filtered in during the 2-1/2 years I have been involved. Hopefully the future will allow women to not be given the drug Adriamycin, as it is just such a hard drug on you....both mentally and physically. If you are considering a trial study, just know that you will be helping those that follow you in treatment. Anything that makes it easier to treat cancer in the future is such a contribution. I am glad I did it, although it has really been a lot of tests. Good luck. Hugs, Judy