Fur on my face!!! What to do??!!

Options
missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay, so I'm 3 months post chemo, 3 weeks post rads, head hair is coming in gradually, body hair coming in like crazy. Now, I have this fur on both sides of my face--from about mid-ear going toward the chin. I know not to shave it and I think someone said they also had this but it did eventually disappear.

How long must I look like the bearded lady from the circus? Is there anything I can do about it or do I just have to hope and pray it goes away? Has anyone used the waxing strips?

I know this isn't the most horrible problem in the world, but I just don't think I'm ready to work for Barnum & Bailey yet.

Hugs, Renee

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    All I did was pluck it with my fingers and it came right off. Others have said it fell out within a week or two.
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Yeah, I posted a while back

Yeah, I posted a while back that I had the same thing, fine white long hair on my forehead and cheeks from ear to chin. This started about the middle of the Taxol sessions ( I have one Taxol left to go). I also have fuzz on my head but no pubic hair!!!

I have a little device that plucks hair that I used on my armpits. It hurts a little but really thins out the hair. I have been using that on the hair on my face. My Onc. said it is probably menapause (I am 44) but I beg to differ. I could be wrong but I think it is the steroids.

Of all the things, this one has weired me out the most, like yourself I am not ready for Barnum and Bailey either.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

Yeah, I posted a while back

Yeah, I posted a while back that I had the same thing, fine white long hair on my forehead and cheeks from ear to chin. This started about the middle of the Taxol sessions ( I have one Taxol left to go). I also have fuzz on my head but no pubic hair!!!

I have a little device that plucks hair that I used on my armpits. It hurts a little but really thins out the hair. I have been using that on the hair on my face. My Onc. said it is probably menapause (I am 44) but I beg to differ. I could be wrong but I think it is the steroids.

Of all the things, this one has weired me out the most, like yourself I am not ready for Barnum and Bailey either.

Hair on face
    I had this to and I got my tweezers out and pulled it out. It was very fine, fuzzy hair, very light in color. It's gone for now, hope it stays away.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Hair on face
    I had this to and I got my tweezers out and pulled it out. It was very fine, fuzzy hair, very light in color. It's gone for now, hope it stays away.

One more unfortunate thing
    One more unfortunate thing we b/c survivors endure. The hair on my face was thicker than the hair on my head. My hair stylist told me not to shave it or pluck it....just let it be and it will fall out. Actually it lasted about a month. At least I knew that hair of some sort was going to be returning, and my kids thought it was funny. When out in the sunlight, it glistened, and you could really see it. Now....smooth faced. Hang in there, this too shall pass. Hugs, Judy
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too
    my surgeon said it's the steroids and I believe that.

I haven't touched mine yet, scared to. Don't want to start
    shaving lol.

Ayse
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Oh Renee
    I'm so glad you posted this. I had read something about it I think in some of the literature I was given from ACS or NIC??? Anyways, I'm so glad to hear that it does eventually disappear. I'm 11 years post menopause and I have some fuz on the side of my cheeks close to my ears but the thought of a lot of it is kinda freaky! Again, thanks for asking and all you ladies that responded, thank you too!
    Char
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    I too was shocked by the hair on my face. I even had it on my nose. I bought those eyebrow shaper wax strips and what I didn't use on my eyebrows I used on the rest of my face. I feel so much better knowing I don't look like a werewolf. I tried the smooth away first but it wasn't working on those fine little hairs. I know you will experiment with something so let us know how it turns out.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    jamiegww said:

I too was shocked by the hair on my face. I even had it on my nose. I bought those eyebrow shaper wax strips and what I didn't use on my eyebrows I used on the rest of my face. I feel so much better knowing I don't look like a werewolf. I tried the smooth away first but it wasn't working on those fine little hairs. I know you will experiment with something so let us know how it turns out.

A werewolf--I love it!
    You made me laugh out loud. I just looked in the mirror--I think it's growing by the minute--nice and dark too!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Waxing strips work great -
    Waxing strips work great - so do those Smooth Away buffer-type "as seen on TV" kits you can get at drugstores for about $10....i've always had that soft white, fuzzy hair just on the sides of my face by my ears - waaay before chemo. I used the wax strips forever which work great - the hair doesn't come back dark or stubbly - but my 9 yr old daughter started getting the fuzzies (my mom has it too -thanks mom!) and I didn't want her waxing so we got the Smooth Away to try. Maybe after chemo mine will go away & not come back??!!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options

Waxing strips work great -
    Waxing strips work great - so do those Smooth Away buffer-type "as seen on TV" kits you can get at drugstores for about $10....i've always had that soft white, fuzzy hair just on the sides of my face by my ears - waaay before chemo. I used the wax strips forever which work great - the hair doesn't come back dark or stubbly - but my 9 yr old daughter started getting the fuzzies (my mom has it too -thanks mom!) and I didn't want her waxing so we got the Smooth Away to try. Maybe after chemo mine will go away & not come back??!!
    *hugs*
    Heather

OMG, I too notice the fuzzy
    OMG, I too notice the fuzzy face, Im so glad to hear that possibly its temporary. I sure hope it falls out by itself, but if it starts to get darker, Im following Heather's advice.
    Thanks ladies.

Lupe
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I took a good look this

I took a good look this morning. They are super long. It amazes how long they can grow when I have lost most of my eyebrows and eyelashes. It is bizarre.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    I have to admit I shave and have for several years. I also got the fuzz after chemo and now I'm getting the chin whiskers back. I've tried plucking them, but it's just so much easier to use a razor.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    laurissa said:

I have to admit I shave and have for several years. I also got the fuzz after chemo and now I'm getting the chin whiskers back. I've tried plucking them, but it's just so much easier to use a razor.

I got the peach fuzz after chemo, too
    I chose to shave it because there was sooo much and the good news is if it came back it only came back like it used to be normally before chemo. So now I'm back to plucking every few days, eyebrows, chin, and moles. ahaha