Methods of taking supplements with NG tube?

cujo2525
cujo2525 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello,

Short version, my mother was diagnosed a year ago. She had surgery, some complications and two kinds of chemo over the past year. Due to the toll the Chemo and other garbage has taken on her she is in a very sick spot. She was home and doing well 2 weeks ago until a blockage occurred causing her to have to be on a NG tube. After 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital and the doctor saying there isnt anything else he can do (her abdominal area is covered in a fibrosis like material so he cant operate on the blockage), she wanted nothing more than to come home.

So here we are, with my beautiful mom still fighting this. She has a NG tube and illiostomy bag, mostly bed rest. They have her trying a steroid for the blockage and tamoxifen. I want to get her on Purple Mushroom Defense (ahcc) right away. I am trying to figure out the best method for her to take it. Im guessing crush it up in water and feed through NG tube?.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    I am assuming this is a
    I am assuming this is a pill, rather than an actual mushroom. I doubt it can hurt your mom, but I would disolve it completely in liquid, I think, before putting it thru her NG tube. If an NG tube gets clogged, the unclogging process is not fun for the patient.

Blockages are not usually treated via surgery anyway, at least not in late stage Cancer patients. Is your mom receiving any treatment? Is her doctor a gyn/oncologist? Has she been evaluated at a large, teaching center/Cancer facility?

Carlene
  • cujo2525
    cujo2525 Member Posts: 2

I am assuming this is a
    I am assuming this is a pill, rather than an actual mushroom. I doubt it can hurt your mom, but I would disolve it completely in liquid, I think, before putting it thru her NG tube. If an NG tube gets clogged, the unclogging process is not fun for the patient.

Blockages are not usually treated via surgery anyway, at least not in late stage Cancer patients. Is your mom receiving any treatment? Is her doctor a gyn/oncologist? Has she been evaluated at a large, teaching center/Cancer facility?

Carlene

Yes, its actually in a
    Yes, its actually in a capsule form so it can be opened and mixed in water. How do they normally treat blockages at this point?.

I am actually going to start both the purple mushroom and the DIM vitamin (cruciferous vegetables) tomorrow. DIM does wonders as well from my research.

Thanks
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    POWDERED AHCC
    First, I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom is so ill. And I think you're doing the right thing to give her the AHCC. It's meant to help our bodies manufactured T-Cells and other immunities that will help fight disease. I use the AHCC in powder form by Solaray. There are others, I'm sure, but just be certain its the true AHCC. You can mix it with water for her, or I believe you can make it into a tea, although she might not be interested in that. If yours are capsules, you can open them up and use that powder. It may be difficlt to mix, but try the best you can.

I'm sending prayers and hugs to your dear Mother and you. Please keep us up-to-date.

(((HUGS)))
    Monika