Did you go and buy a bigger bra for the ride home

Options
2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
from the hospital? My boob will be all bandaged up so will I need a bigger cup size so I can squeeze the boob in for comfort? I have a half hour ride home from the hospital.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    I was bandaged with a drain in
    so I wore a zip-up-the-front sports bra home. My surgeon told me to buy a couple for post-op and I actually wore them for months. The drain was for the axillary node dissection (23 nodes removed). If you're not having nodes out, you probably won't have a drain. The sports bras worked very well. They're hard to find, but I finally found a couple at Macy's--they weren't cheap! Good luck.

Hugs, Renee
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Wore same bra home
    When I had my lumpectomy I actually wore the same bra home. There wasn't that much bandage on the incision. I do remember having to wear a bra 24 hours a day for a couple days and couldn't shower. YUK! Then when I had my mastectomy, I could shower the day I came home and didn't have to wear a bra at all.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    Options
    missrenee said:

I was bandaged with a drain in
    so I wore a zip-up-the-front sports bra home. My surgeon told me to buy a couple for post-op and I actually wore them for months. The drain was for the axillary node dissection (23 nodes removed). If you're not having nodes out, you probably won't have a drain. The sports bras worked very well. They're hard to find, but I finally found a couple at Macy's--they weren't cheap! Good luck.

Hugs, Renee

Oh no I didn't know anything about the drains,
    So far all I know is according to my MRI all my lymph nodes are appearing clea/clean from cancer but I guess all that can change once they open me up. hmmm............

Thanks Jean, I'm not real sure what to do, I am a 44DD and there is no way I want to buy a bigger bra, I aqueeze myself into this size just because I'm in denial that I've gained so much weight, the thought of buying a bigger one bothers me. uugghhh why did I get so big..... but I want to be comfortable to do they even make 44DDD.................oh gawd :(
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Wore same bra home
    When I had my lumpectomy I actually wore the same bra home. There wasn't that much bandage on the incision. I do remember having to wear a bra 24 hours a day for a couple days and couldn't shower. YUK! Then when I had my mastectomy, I could shower the day I came home and didn't have to wear a bra at all.

I always wore my same bra home. I have had 3
    lumpectomies. Two just had bandaids and the third had the Sentinel Node Biopsy with it so I was pretty much bandaged for a couple of days (be sure and tell them to use non-allergic tape) and I still fit in my regular bra (at that time a 44C) I wore a bra 24/7 for about 3 weeks because of the weight of the boobs. I bought bra extenders to make the bra looser and more comfortable. I ordered my thru a catalog but you can probably get them at Joann Fabric.

I never had stiches in anh of the biopsies and one was a wide reexcisional. You'll be good to go. I'm a wimp and I didn't think it was very painful...just sore. No problem sleeping either.

When is your lumpectomy? I'll be with you in spirit...you did chemo, you can do this standing on your head! You're a warrior!

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • 2Floridiansisters
    Options
    Skeezie said:

lumpectomies. Two just had bandaids and the third had the Sentinel Node Biopsy with it so I was pretty much bandaged for a couple of days (be sure and tell them to use non-allergic tape) and I still fit in my regular bra (at that time a 44C) I wore a bra 24/7 for about 3 weeks because of the weight of the boobs. I bought bra extenders to make the bra looser and more comfortable. I ordered my thru a catalog but you can probably get them at Joann Fabric.

I never had stiches in anh of the biopsies and one was a wide reexcisional. You'll be good to go. I'm a wimp and I didn't think it was very painful...just sore. No problem sleeping either.

When is your lumpectomy? I'll be with you in spirit...you did chemo, you can do this standing on your head! You're a warrior!

Thanks skeezie, you sweetie!!
    I have never heard of bra extenders but I will go out and find them, thanks for the tip! My lumpectomy is September 15th, I am having that sentinel dye injection the day before and on the morning of I am having the wire placement thing happen, then off to surgery. I'm ready to get this party started.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Skeezie said:

When i had my lumpectomy. I
    When i had my lumpectomy. I was in a surgery bra. They had a velcro front close bra on me when I woke up. I used this bra for a while until drain came out and then I used it a few more times before I got a sports bra. You need the tightness of the bras, the support. You won't hurt as much when you wear it. The bra I came home in I wore to bed. Good luck Hugs
  • 2Floridiansisters
    Options
    Kat11 said:

When i had my lumpectomy. I
    When i had my lumpectomy. I was in a surgery bra. They had a velcro front close bra on me when I woke up. I used this bra for a while until drain came out and then I used it a few more times before I got a sports bra. You need the tightness of the bras, the support. You won't hurt as much when you wear it. The bra I came home in I wore to bed. Good luck Hugs

Oh wow that sounds nice,
    No one has mentioned to me anything about a surgical bra, hmmm it sounds nice, I wonder if my hospital will have one for me? I hope they will. Thanks for sharing your situation. But then again maybe they wouldn't even have one in my size.............I hate gaining weight, I've carried extra weight now since I had my son 16 years ago, when am I gonna lose it, I guess never.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

Oh wow that sounds nice,
    No one has mentioned to me anything about a surgical bra, hmmm it sounds nice, I wonder if my hospital will have one for me? I hope they will. Thanks for sharing your situation. But then again maybe they wouldn't even have one in my size.............I hate gaining weight, I've carried extra weight now since I had my son 16 years ago, when am I gonna lose it, I guess never.

Sometimes
    I feel like I'm from a different planet. Or I'm just the luckiest woman on earth. I wore my same bra home from the hospital. Didn't have a drain. Showered the next day. Walked two miles the next day. Went to a baby shower the next day. Took the bandages off two days later. Went to work three days later. It just never hurt. Kinda aches now, but that's cause the nerves have regenerated the oncologist explained to me.

I truly hope your surgery and recovery are easy and uneventful.

xo,
    Victoria
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Sometimes
    I feel like I'm from a different planet. Or I'm just the luckiest woman on earth. I wore my same bra home from the hospital. Didn't have a drain. Showered the next day. Walked two miles the next day. Went to a baby shower the next day. Took the bandages off two days later. Went to work three days later. It just never hurt. Kinda aches now, but that's cause the nerves have regenerated the oncologist explained to me.

I truly hope your surgery and recovery are easy and uneventful.

xo,
    Victoria

my same bra
    i also wore my same bra i was wearing before my lumpectomy after my lumpectomy, and im not small busted. i didnt have any problems. the drain was a pain for me mine stayed in a month but i had 36 nodes removed so lovely sponge baths for me.

the best to you!
    teresa
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    teresa41 said:

my same bra
    i also wore my same bra i was wearing before my lumpectomy after my lumpectomy, and im not small busted. i didnt have any problems. the drain was a pain for me mine stayed in a month but i had 36 nodes removed so lovely sponge baths for me.

the best to you!
    teresa

Thoughts on the wire placement thingy, I've it with
    all three of my biopsies and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought. I thought it felt like a big pinch and then it was over. I lost a lot of sleep over that the first time needlessly.

When they do the Sentinel Node Biopsy you could possibly have a drain depending on what they find. Praying for you it's clean.

I know what you mean about the weight gain....I'm scared now if I would lose too much I would have too much skin hanging, lol. But I never stop "thinking" about it tho...

The bra extender is a cool little piece of elastic with bra hooks and eyes on each end and it expands your bra 2 or 3 inches whcih really gives relief if you are wearing it at nite. Of course now that I'm being fitted by a fitter I can't believe the difference in a proper fitting bra.

• Curlz
    Curlz Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Another big b**bed gal
    I'm also a DD/DDD (46) and I bought some of the soft 'athletic' bras that Lane Bryant sells, but after my lumpectomy and sentinel node dissection, I came out of anesthesia, looked down, and was thrilled to see a lavender, floral-print 'tube top' that Velcroed up the front! It's technically known as a medical compression garment, but I referred to it as my tube top--mostly b/c a gal w/boobs this big never gets (got) to wear one! :-)

It was seriously nice to have something that fit my plus-sized body that was still pretty. I wore it for the first few days, and actually ordered another one online...it's called an Expand-A-Band binder. Obviously you need to know if your doc wants you to have/wear one, but you should also ask if they'll provide it at the hospital and/or if you can bring in your own. Note: I didn't go home w/a drain--not sure how that situation works.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi
    I had my lumpectomy in March. I was put in a very tight front closed surgical bra too. Had to keep it on a couple days. After that you can take it off and shower. I was given big gauze pads to cover incisions at my post-op appointment with the surgeon. I wore a comfy sport bra for a week or two, then back to my regular size bra. My nodes were clear, but I still had a 3 inch incision under arm which was the most uncomfortable healing. I'm also 44dd and now a cup or two smaller on the right. Its not too noticable, but my left breast tries to move over to the right side to help fill it out I guess. So my cleavage is not completely centered. I just lean to the left a little-ha ha, Have to laugh! You'll do fine.