Bilateral Mastectomy

Options
FIDDLEPHYL
FIDDLEPHYL Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a bilateral mastectomy 5 weeks ago. Under both by arms are a lot of folded extra skin.
Does that ever go away? I am a little overweight and thought that might be the reason. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Sometimes I think it is more of a mental problem than a physical one. Any information would be helpful.

I must add that the lympnode biopsies all came back negative for cancer, and I do feel very fortunate.

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    AWESOME on the negative
    AWESOME on the negative lymph nodes!!! I had a bilateral also last month, also with negative nodes - that was kind of my last big "what if" question that was driving me crazy..now that I look, my armpit does look a little more chunky than it did before..maybe because of the tissue expanders?? I haven't gained or lost any weight since my surgery, so I'm not sure about it. Welcome to this site - it's such a great resource for information, encouragement, reassurance -a place where you can both vent your frustrations & celebrate your milestones in fighting breast cancer.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Heatherbelle
    Options
    AWESOME on the negative
    AWESOME on the negative lymph nodes!!! I had a bilateral also last month, also with negative nodes - that was kind of my last big "what if" question that was driving me crazy..now that I look, my armpit does look a little more chunky than it did before..maybe because of the tissue expanders?? I haven't gained or lost any weight since my surgery, so I'm not sure about it. Welcome to this site - it's such a great resource for information, encouragement, reassurance -a place where you can both vent your frustrations & celebrate your milestones in fighting breast cancer.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Heatherbelle
    Options
    AWESOME on the negative
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Heatherbelle
    Options

AWESOME on the negative
    *hugs*
    Heather

OOPS
    sorry about the multiple posts!! my computer was acting up this morning!!!!
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options

OOPS
    sorry about the multiple posts!! my computer was acting up this morning!!!!

welcome
    i had a mastectomy may 20,2010 on the right side also wth clear nodes, i know what you are saying i also have the same thing by my underarm .it flaps i asked my oncoligist yesterday about it, he said that was left extra for plastic surgery if and when i have it. so i dont think mine will be going away. i wanted to also welcome you to the board!

best of luck to you.

teresa
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Hi I had bilateral mastectomy
    June 22 and I'm a bit overweight to say the least. Because I eat when I'm stressed I've actually gained more than 10 pounds since my surgery and considering the weight of my breasts prior to surgery really upsets me more. I asked my surgeon about the mounds of skin on the side of my body when I saw him 5 weeks post op. He said it was where my breast connected to skin from my back. He told me that if it didn't get to the point where I was comfortable with it he could do a simple procedure to correct it.

Last week I had a fitting for prostheses and bras. The kind girl that assisted me said she calls them angel wings and that all women who have bilateral mastectomy have them. The bras flatten them down but I do know they're still there. I'm trying to lose the excess pounds while going through treatment without much luck )-:
    Char
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    I have the same thing under my arm.
    I asked my breast surgeon about it last week. He said he couldn't see anything. I see my plastic surgeon soon, so I will ask her. Hoping the get some answers here too.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This is just my thoughts on the matter....
    Personally I think if you lost as little as 10-15 pounds it would flatten down and just shrink, if it's just skin and possibly a minor amount of fat, fat melts away, I say you all have hope!!!!