ouch - scalp looks like crap - now it hurts too??!!!

Options
Heatherbelle
Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So, I slept like complete crap last night! The culprit - this stubbly head of mine! Every little move I made, the tiny stubbles on my head would move & hurt. My scalp almost stings! I don't really want to go over it with a razor & shaving cream, don't want to risk nicking it & having cuts on my head, not to mention the infection risk. Hurts to have a light cap or even a bandana on my head! Is there anything that any of you put on your scalp to reduce the irritation? I'm assuming once the stubbles are gone that it will feel better, I hope!! I am just washing my head with a little bit of gently baby shampoo, but if anyone has anything you put on your scalp I'm open to any suggestions! I do have really REALLY sensitive skin though, so he gentler & more natural, the better.
Thank you! Looking forward to some relief!!
heather

Comments

• Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    Heather
    I didn't see this post & answered in your other one about a sleep cap. Yep it will hurt for a couple weeks...especially when the wind blows on your head. It'll go away quickly. Now, I kinda like running my hand over my stubbies.

Cindy
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

Heather
    I didn't see this post & answered in your other one about a sleep cap. Yep it will hurt for a couple weeks...especially when the wind blows on your head. It'll go away quickly. Now, I kinda like running my hand over my stubbies.

Cindy

lint roller
    heather try a lint roller the tape kind it may sound silly but it works . it gets rid of all the stubbles i used one a few times a day until they were gone and it helped!

best of luck.

teresa
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

Heather

Cindy

Heatherbelle .. just a few suggestions that I found
    that help me and my bald scalp:

Condition and hydrate your scalp when showering --

Cream your scalp with body lotions after drying off from a bath or shower --

Sally's Beauty Supplies .. $7.00 for 2 satin pillow cases - purchase them if possible. Results first hand: Your new balding beautiful scalp will slip and slide when you toss and turn at night, cuz we all know that insomina sets in at this point of our journey.

2 to 4 times a day .. your girls may want to help .. massage your scalp

PROTECT you scalp by wearing sunscreen outside .. otherwise, your scalp will get sun burned - don't ask .. okay, I confess .. OUCH, sunburn hurts and it only takes a minute .. no joke!

Most oncology centers have volunteers who make head coverings, wool and otherwise - ask on your next visit for a wool cap - wear it at night during your cold winters there in Indiana. Perhaps you will get 2 wool caps, and you can mix and match them to your PJ's.

Strength and Courage my Pink Warrior Sister:

Vicki Sam
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Sally's Beauty Supplies .. $7.00 for 2 satin pillow cases - purchase them if possible. Results first hand: Your new balding beautiful scalp will slip and slide when you toss and turn at night, cuz we all know that insomina sets in at this point of our journey.

PROTECT you scalp by wearing sunscreen outside .. otherwise, your scalp will get sun burned - don't ask .. okay, I confess .. OUCH, sunburn hurts and it only takes a minute .. no joke!

Most oncology centers have volunteers who make head coverings, wool and otherwise - ask on your next visit for a wool cap - wear it at night during your cold winters there in Indiana. Perhaps you will get 2 wool caps, and you can mix and match them to your PJ's.

Vicki Sam

Hi Heather--sorry for your discomfort.
    My newly bald head was super sensitive too. I used a soft terry sleep cap at night-which helped alot. When I showered, I washed my head with a mild body wash and couldn't really let the shower spray on my head for a couple of weeks because of how sensitive it was. After a couple of weeks, the sensitivity decreased and I found myself constantly stroking the stubble! Good luck.

Hugs, Renee

P.S. I also got a few really big, painful pimples on my head during that time--which also went away.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Yes, definitely get satin pillow cases. Otherwise your bald
    head will stick to the pillow. My ear used to fold over adn that would really hurt. My head was hurting as the hair was coming out, it will stop pretty soon. I tried the lint roller and it took some stuble out but some stuble stayed and never came out...but it got soft and didn't bother me after a short while.

I got my satin pillow cases at JC Penny on sale. They were a life saver. The American Cancer Soc. has a great catalog: www.tlcdirect.org that has some great head coverings, sleep caps, you name at. They have quality products and the hats come in sizes. I ordered from another place too and their stuff wasn't as nice.

Spoil yourself and get lots of fun scarves, hats etc. I had a kick *ss wig that was my own hair color and style and that was ok too. In the house I went bare headed except when people came over. You sound like the kind of girl who mite just say "Heck with it, I'm bald, deal with it" and only cover when you want to.

Don't forget to take pictures so youcan compare when your hair starts coming back in because you will tend to forget how you looked.

Hang in there, you'll make it.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Options
    duct tape to remove the little hurtul stubs
    I remember the hurting now....memories........I used duct tape to remove the last of the subs and then no more hurt. Baby shampoo is the best...........
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Oh Heather
    I guess this is what I have to look forward to, eh! Just what I need a hurting head of stubbles with a pimply face! Ugh! I did buy a sleep cap because I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP at night to sleep and I knew I would need something on my head so the CPAP straps wouldn't slip. Annoying! I hope all these suggestions help us both.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Oh Heather
    I guess this is what I have to look forward to, eh! Just what I need a hurting head of stubbles with a pimply face! Ugh! I did buy a sleep cap because I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP at night to sleep and I knew I would need something on my head so the CPAP straps wouldn't slip. Annoying! I hope all these suggestions help us both.
    {{hugs}} Char

Heather, I bumped up a post
    Heather, I bumped up a post called HELPFUL WEBSITES. There are a lot of websites that offer free beautiful scarves etc. to bc survivors. Hope your head feels better soon.

Sue :)
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Heather, I bumped up a post
    Heather, I bumped up a post called HELPFUL WEBSITES. There are a lot of websites that offer free beautiful scarves etc. to bc survivors. Hope your head feels better soon.

Sue :)

I still have quite a bit of stubble
    I buzzed my head 3 weeks ago (Day 13, cycle 1) because my hair was really falling out and I thought it was better to have whiskers fall out than clumps of hair. I don't think I would have tolerated that well emotionally. Here I am almost at the end of cycle 2 and I still have quite a bit of stubble that acts like it's here to stay. I definitely have not lost all of my hair. I'm pretty bald in places, but I wonder what it would have looked like if I'd simply cut it very short instead of buzzing it. Would I be upset because I probably would look like a dog with mange, or would I have liked seeing some hair around the edges of a cute hat? I do know that the stubble bothers me and I wish it would all go away. It does not seem to be growing - just hanging on.

Anyone else have an experience like this?
    Suzanne
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options

I still have quite a bit of stubble
    I buzzed my head 3 weeks ago (Day 13, cycle 1) because my hair was really falling out and I thought it was better to have whiskers fall out than clumps of hair. I don't think I would have tolerated that well emotionally. Here I am almost at the end of cycle 2 and I still have quite a bit of stubble that acts like it's here to stay. I definitely have not lost all of my hair. I'm pretty bald in places, but I wonder what it would have looked like if I'd simply cut it very short instead of buzzing it. Would I be upset because I probably would look like a dog with mange, or would I have liked seeing some hair around the edges of a cute hat? I do know that the stubble bothers me and I wish it would all go away. It does not seem to be growing - just hanging on.

Anyone else have an experience like this?
    Suzanne

I have my last chemo next
    I have my last chemo next week...yeah! After I got my head buzzed, lots of the dark hair stayed. So my head looked like an english springer spaniel...spotted. There are very few smooth baby-butt spots. Some is coming back & it looks like little uneven spikes. Kinda looks like I stuck my finger in an outlet, just 1/4" long, though.

Cindy
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Hi Heather
    I shaved my head on day 14 after first chemo. It was going fast anyway. Now I wish I had left it alone or just cut it short. I had the same problem with stubble hurting my head. After it gets a little longer it will stop hurting. I don't shave mine any more. Because it will start growing and hurt again. Night caps didn't help me it still hurt when I moved my head on the pillow. The cap would move on my head and wouldn't stay on anyway. The satin or silk pillow cases might help I never thought of that. Good luck to ya I hope it don't hurt to long. Take care Kay
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    A fluffy scarf
    My best friend from NYC had sent me this scarf it was very light
    and soft to the touch and that was my saving grace. I had the
    same experience as you.

Ayse
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

A fluffy scarf
    My best friend from NYC had sent me this scarf it was very light
    and soft to the touch and that was my saving grace. I had the
    same experience as you.

Ayse

SORRY
    Sorry you're having such discomfort - I did too. It's not the stubbles that cause it though. It is the hair folicles trying their best to hang onto those locks. Not everyone has this extreme but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't tell the truth. My scalp felt like I had the WORST SUNBURN EVER for almost a month, throughout the entire hairloss process. My doctor said not to put anything (creams, etc.) on it because those pores needed to stay open. Just wash it with a mild soap or body wash. That "burn" hurt all the time, night and day, covered or not, wet or dry. Oh, and standing under the shower was awful. Now the GOOD NEWS: it will go away ALMOST overnight when it's done "falling out". Hope that's not much longer for you! Best wishes. MM

P.S. Sorry, but if you're anything like me, you want to know. (One Hoosier to another)
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    teresa41 said:

lint roller
    heather try a lint roller the tape kind it may sound silly but it works . it gets rid of all the stubbles i used one a few times a day until they were gone and it helped!

best of luck.

teresa

I used the lint roller
    I used the lint roller too.

Hugs

Donna
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hope you have a better night tonight.
    Sorry to hear your head is hurting. I wouldn't take the chance with the shaving cream and razor, especially during chemo. I was told no razors at all (legs, underarms, etc). I also heard the silk pillow cases work. Hang in there girl. Hugs, Jean
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

Heather

Cindy

Hoping you find something to
    Hoping you find something to help Heather!
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Heather my head hurt like heck too
    So my husband used his electrical razor and buzzed my head completely clean, like a brand new baby, after that all the hurt and tenderness just went away. It's been like this for 6 or 7 weeks now, my head feels like my husbands chin, just sort of rough but not completely smooth either. I am praying it grows back in really soon like by the end of the year would be nice. I rub a cottonball saturated with my teenage sons astringent to wipe away the days dirt and grime, it works well in between showers.
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Options

Heather my head hurt like heck too
    So my husband used his electrical razor and buzzed my head completely clean, like a brand new baby, after that all the hurt and tenderness just went away. It's been like this for 6 or 7 weeks now, my head feels like my husbands chin, just sort of rough but not completely smooth either. I am praying it grows back in really soon like by the end of the year would be nice. I rub a cottonball saturated with my teenage sons astringent to wipe away the days dirt and grime, it works well in between showers.

OTC Hydrocortisone cream
    It was very helpful with the itches! Then- satin pillow cases-mmmmmmmmmm! Best wishes! Hang in there! xoxoxoxo