Anyone travel for 2nd opinions before treatment decisions?

lindaprocopio
lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I got the results of Thursdays CA125 and CT/Pet scan yesterday. The GOOD news is that the cancer has not spread outside of the same 2 lymph nodes it's been in for the past 6 months. The BAD news is that the 2 nodes are BIGGER and lit up BRIGHTER (an SUV of 17 for the one under my arm!) and that the weekly taxol is apparently no longer working. My CA125 rose from 71 to 78 to 83 in the past 2 weeks of weekly labs.

My husband is pushing for me to possibly get the largest node (about 2 cm now) under my arm surgically removed, and possibly IMRT radiation of the para-aortic node that keeps winking off and on in my Pet scans, but is larger and lit up right now. (The 4 mm para-aortic node is in a place where they can't safely do a needle biopsy to get physical confirmation of malignancy but believe most likely is malignant.) My chemo-onc, radiation-onc, and gyne-onc all are against surgery or radiation for me right now, and agree instead on systemic chemo like Doxil or Carboplatin for me next. My husband wants a more aggressive approach that isn't so palliative as he still remains hopeful for a cure somehow.

My recurrence is in a wierd enough place, and my cancer type rare enough, that they encourged me to get a second opinion from another gyne-onc. They suggested Dr. Mark A. Morgan, head of gyn-oncs at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. I spent the morning getting the pathology reports faxed that Fox Chase requires before making an appointment, and arranging for all my imaging to be put on a CD that I can hand-carry down once I have the appointment. Fox Chase promises to get you in within 10 days of getting your paperwork, and they'll have that paperwork late today. Meanwhile I am on a break from chemo until we make a treatment desision, which my chemo-onc assured me I could safely do for a couple of weeks until we have a solid plan.

It's scary to be 'out of treatment' when my cancer is so active, sitting on my hands until I can get in there to be seen. I was wondering how many of you feel getting a 2nd outside opinion is important before making major treatment decisions. And have any of you been to Fox Chase or know Dr. Morgan? Thanks!

Comments

• froggy1
    froggy1 Member Posts: 205
    Good decision
    Hi Linda,
    I cannot offer personal experience, but I think you are making the very best decision by getting a second opinion. I grew up near Philadelphia and 'wish I had the option of going to either U of P, Jefferson or Fox Chase. All are, as I'm sure you know, NCI designated cancer treatment centers. I'm sure you will get specific feedback.
    I, also, respect your doctor for suggesting a second opinion. That shows a lot of class!
    Best of luck to you. I'm sure the waiting is hard. Take care and grab a Philly cheese-steak for me:) Ginny
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    froggy1 said:

Good decision
    Hi Linda,
    I cannot offer personal experience, but I think you are making the very best decision by getting a second opinion. I grew up near Philadelphia and 'wish I had the option of going to either U of P, Jefferson or Fox Chase. All are, as I'm sure you know, NCI designated cancer treatment centers. I'm sure you will get specific feedback.
    I, also, respect your doctor for suggesting a second opinion. That shows a lot of class!
    Best of luck to you. I'm sure the waiting is hard. Take care and grab a Philly cheese-steak for me:) Ginny

I wish you luck
    It does not hurt to get a second opinion, it might ease your mind
    good luck to you
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Angelasmom2
    Angelasmom2 Member Posts: 146
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

2nd opinion
    My daughter had cancer surgery July 8th, 2010. She has 3c ovarian cancer. She is at UC Davis in California and is flying next week to MD Anderson in Houston for a second opinion. The two hospitals are working together in Angela's treatment.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    2nd opinion
    I agree with everyone that the second opinon is a great idea. I have had second opinions and they have saved my life! I do understand your antsy feelings to have to wait.

I agree with your husband about surgery, maybe for all the nodes, if they are the same ones's always lit up. I don't know anything about Fox Chase, but they certainly do have a good reputation.

Wishing you the best, Linda!!

kathleen

PS Do you know your taxol dosage you have been on? Just gathering data for my next treatment.