Question

reeseslover1234
reeseslover1234 Member Posts: 87
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey,

My surgeon's office called and said I needed to have my yearly mammo. I just had a PET scan, but she said I still had to have the mammo. Having had a mastectomy (left side-with no reconstruction), will they do an ultrasound on my left side? Also, is this just to keep an eye on any changes in my breast tissue?

Thanks,

Reese

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    MAMMO'S
    Hello Reese, the Pet is different than the mammogram most onco's still want you to get a mamo independent of any other scans. I had my right breast removed with no recon for two years and during that time all mammo's were done to the left side that had had a lumpectomy and lots of radiation treatments and no scans to the right side. It is being done to keep a track record of what your breast looks like making sure there are no new things showing up. Hope this helps.

*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ RE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    RE said:

MAMMO'S
    Hello Reese, the Pet is different than the mammogram most onco's still want you to get a mamo independent of any other scans. I had my right breast removed with no recon for two years and during that time all mammo's were done to the left side that had had a lumpectomy and lots of radiation treatments and no scans to the right side. It is being done to keep a track record of what your breast looks like making sure there are no new things showing up. Hope this helps.

*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ RE

Each doctor has their 'special way' of keeping tabs
    on our cancerous site .. Treatment plans and surgery techniques depend on Cancer research and clinical trials your Cancer center has participated in, or your Oncology group has been a part of. So, is the after care.

My damn Oncologist is still trying to get me to have a mamo .. I have no boobies, as I had a bilateral mact'my middle of January 2010. He forget's himself - so I gently remind him of my bilateral and think quietly OMG! However, I would rather have too many tests, than not enough ..and yes, they are a pain in the butt .. chalky milk shake (not), and pre test cleansing .. and so on... hahaha

My humble opinion

Best of Luck ..

Vicki Sam