Options
2»

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    mjfromtx said:

TN also
    I am TN also. I was dxed in 7-08, had modified radical mastectomy one pos lymph node had 16 removed. Had taxetere, adriamycin, cytoxan 6 rounds. Got done in 1-09. Went back to life. Had a 'pesky' rib. Had a clear pet scan in 9-09, had a clear mammogram in 6-09 and 6-10. Did a cat scan of pelvis, organs, abdomen. The cancer has spread to both lungs, two or three lymph nodes (clavicle, sternum) and abdomen above the adrenal glands. I went to MD Anderson for a secon opinion since I am three hours from there. I saw a Dr. Gonxalez Alugulo who is a Medical Breast Oncologist who has bee conducting research in TN for several years. She told me everything that was done was correct and if the cancer comes back within two years of last chemo then it is aggressive. She recommended Xeloda and Ixempra as a combo or Abraxane and Avastin. My onc here in San Atonio and I discussed it and the side effects were more severe overall with the Xeloda and Ixempra and Avastin is going off the market as a mets breast cancer drug by the FDA (they meet on September 17th to take a vote as to whether it should be dropped for mets breast cancer patients...will keep it for colon cancer and a couple others but drop it from the list of breast cancer). We decided on the Abraxane and Avastin regimen and if it is working to see if I can stay on it since I got on it prior to the drug be taken away. I just had my second round of chemo and it is going well. My counts look good and I am having minimal side effects. I continue to work and 'do life' while at the same time dealing with all the reactions from family and friends around me with the news. I am glad I went to MDA so if I need to go on a PARP inhibitor trial I have two oncologists that can look for me. Dr says for me to get into studies I need to 'fail' at one or the other of these treatments first. So I'll do the three months and see what the scans say. It is a totally different world when it has metastisized so soon after chemo was completed. I try and live one day at a time and put one foot in front of the other. I knew i was TN before but did not really understand how serious it was until I saw Dr. Gonzalez at MD Anderson. Everyone I talked to said that since they got it early I should be ok. I was being watched by two different oncologists since chemo 1-09, one was my oncological surgeon and one is the chemo oncologist who specializes in breast cancer here in San Antonio. They do a Breast Cancer Symposium here in December and I plan to go this year to find out more about TN And what treatment options might be open to me. The PARP Inhibitors are now in Stage 3 clinical trials and they expect them to go to market early next year. We shall see! Good luck with your treatments! I have been on www.tnbcfoundation.org website and they have lots of information on there as well. I am also looking into alternative therapies and sorting out which ones are quacky stuff and which has validity. Take care and good luck!!! MJ

God Bless
    and please keep us Triple Negative girls updated on your progress......WE CARE......
    Peace be with you,
    Nancy
  • SDickerson
    SDickerson Member Posts: 44
    Options
    mjfromtx said:

TN also
    I am TN also. I was dxed in 7-08, had modified radical mastectomy one pos lymph node had 16 removed. Had taxetere, adriamycin, cytoxan 6 rounds. Got done in 1-09. Went back to life. Had a 'pesky' rib. Had a clear pet scan in 9-09, had a clear mammogram in 6-09 and 6-10. Did a cat scan of pelvis, organs, abdomen. The cancer has spread to both lungs, two or three lymph nodes (clavicle, sternum) and abdomen above the adrenal glands. I went to MD Anderson for a secon opinion since I am three hours from there. I saw a Dr. Gonxalez Alugulo who is a Medical Breast Oncologist who has bee conducting research in TN for several years. She told me everything that was done was correct and if the cancer comes back within two years of last chemo then it is aggressive. She recommended Xeloda and Ixempra as a combo or Abraxane and Avastin. My onc here in San Atonio and I discussed it and the side effects were more severe overall with the Xeloda and Ixempra and Avastin is going off the market as a mets breast cancer drug by the FDA (they meet on September 17th to take a vote as to whether it should be dropped for mets breast cancer patients...will keep it for colon cancer and a couple others but drop it from the list of breast cancer). We decided on the Abraxane and Avastin regimen and if it is working to see if I can stay on it since I got on it prior to the drug be taken away. I just had my second round of chemo and it is going well. My counts look good and I am having minimal side effects. I continue to work and 'do life' while at the same time dealing with all the reactions from family and friends around me with the news. I am glad I went to MDA so if I need to go on a PARP inhibitor trial I have two oncologists that can look for me. Dr says for me to get into studies I need to 'fail' at one or the other of these treatments first. So I'll do the three months and see what the scans say. It is a totally different world when it has metastisized so soon after chemo was completed. I try and live one day at a time and put one foot in front of the other. I knew i was TN before but did not really understand how serious it was until I saw Dr. Gonzalez at MD Anderson. Everyone I talked to said that since they got it early I should be ok. I was being watched by two different oncologists since chemo 1-09, one was my oncological surgeon and one is the chemo oncologist who specializes in breast cancer here in San Antonio. They do a Breast Cancer Symposium here in December and I plan to go this year to find out more about TN And what treatment options might be open to me. The PARP Inhibitors are now in Stage 3 clinical trials and they expect them to go to market early next year. We shall see! Good luck with your treatments! I have been on www.tnbcfoundation.org website and they have lots of information on there as well. I am also looking into alternative therapies and sorting out which ones are quacky stuff and which has validity. Take care and good luck!!! MJ

Wow
    Sorry to hear about your reoccurance. I will be starting the PARP trail next week and feel real nervous about it. Although I will say I am beginning to hear a lot of positive things about it for us triple negative folks.

Living one day at at time is all we can do. I am praying for you!!

Shannon
  • reeseslover1234
    reeseslover1234 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    mjfromtx said:

TN also

Mets
    MJ,

I'm sorry that your cancer is back. I wish you all the best. Let us know how you are getting along.

(((((HUGS))))),

Reese