Is there such a thing as pain free

ms.sunshine
ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Finished with all treatments. I'm having what the dr. calls after chemo side effects. When will it go away? Dr. can't say for sure or "if" it will go away. I am so sick of having some kind of pain. It's not severe pain mostly a dull ache, but I'm tired of the dull ache. And I'm sick of having to pop pills to relieve it.
My question is. Is there such a thing as a pain free life without pills after cancer treatments? or is this the way it's going to be?

Comments

• Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    same question...
    I was going to post the very same question today. I have a dull ache most of the time. I can't put my elbow on the table because I hurt. It is crazy! However, my surgeon did tell me it takes up to a year for the healing inside to be complete. Did you have surgery before treatment? Check with your surgeon and see what they say.

I ended up with 2 surgeries and my surgeon was able to use the same incision for both. A friend of mine, who is a science teacher, told me to use Bio-Oil and rub it on twice a day. It breaks down faster and gets inside your body to help heal the scar tissue that is there.

Thank you for posting. It is nice to know I'm not the only one feeling this!
    Betsy
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    PAIN FREE
    How long have you been finished chemo and did you follow chemo with radiation? What about surgery? Did you receive a Nuelasta injection following each infusion? I am 10 months out from chemo and radiation. I am pain free......the pain I experienced during chemo was from Taxotere followed the next day by the Nuelasta injection....both of those can cause pain and aches...I was given Hydrocodone for that....and I took it!!!!....I had slight discomfort from the radiation.....If you are just recently finished treatments, I would say, just give it time....And if it's been quite some time, I would press my oncologist for some answers as to why you are still experiencing discomfort.

Hang in there, pain free days are ahead....
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    I am over a year out from chemo and radiation
    And I still have some lingering pain. However, it is not as bad as some of the pain I had a few months after chemo ended. It does get better. The chemo also accelerated my arthritis, so I have that to deal with, but otherwise not too bad. I have heard that cancer treatment can make some women prone to fibromyalgia. There is medication for this, so it's something to consider if you are experiencing a dull whole-body kind of ache. Hope it gets better for you.

Mimi
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    mimivac said:

I am over a year out from chemo and radiation
    And I still have some lingering pain. However, it is not as bad as some of the pain I had a few months after chemo ended. It does get better. The chemo also accelerated my arthritis, so I have that to deal with, but otherwise not too bad. I have heard that cancer treatment can make some women prone to fibromyalgia. There is medication for this, so it's something to consider if you are experiencing a dull whole-body kind of ache. Hope it gets better for you.

Mimi

Theres hope yeah
    10 rounds chemo followed by neulasta shot
    lumpectomy
    5 weeks rads, just finished July 28th
    I have bone/joint pain, headache, just a weary heavy feeling. I'm guessing it's fatigue hanging on.
    I take omega fish oil, glucosamine and others. It helps alot, but that dull ache is there. So I will give it some time I know I will recover 100%, just got to endure and once again play the waiting game.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Theres hope yeah
    10 rounds chemo followed by neulasta shot
    lumpectomy
    5 weeks rads, just finished July 28th
    I have bone/joint pain, headache, just a weary heavy feeling. I'm guessing it's fatigue hanging on.
    I take omega fish oil, glucosamine and others. It helps alot, but that dull ache is there. So I will give it some time I know I will recover 100%, just got to endure and once again play the waiting game.

ms sunshine
    lumpectomy june 09, followed by 16 rounds chemo & neulasta shot, 35 rad treatments and 1 year of herceptin, Tamoxifen. I had leg pains every night. I tried everything, but nothing helped. It has gotton better as time goes on. I have never in my life taken so many pills as I do now. The fatigue is starting to go away. Just take it easy, don't push yourself. My doctor said it could take years before all is normal again ( whatever normal is ). Hang in there.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Kat11 said:

ms sunshine
    lumpectomy june 09, followed by 16 rounds chemo & neulasta shot, 35 rad treatments and 1 year of herceptin, Tamoxifen. I had leg pains every night. I tried everything, but nothing helped. It has gotton better as time goes on. I have never in my life taken so many pills as I do now. The fatigue is starting to go away. Just take it easy, don't push yourself. My doctor said it could take years before all is normal again ( whatever normal is ). Hang in there.

I'm glad someone brought this up.
    Just the other day I said out loud "WILL I EVER BE PAIN FREE AGAIN??!!" My 2 surgeries were in Dec. '09, chemo finished in May '10 and rads just finished 2 weeks ago. My pain/swelling are in the breast, under my arm and along my ribs (trunk). My surgeon says because I had so many nodes out (23) this could go on for a long, long time and that it is "NORMAL!!!" Yeah, well, normal feels like crap right now! Sorry, girls.

I guess if this is the only thing I have to deal with for the rest of my life, I should stop the whining.

Betsy--I'm going to try the Bio Oil--I've never heard of it. Where can I get it?

Thanks.

Hugs, Renee
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    missrenee said:

Just the other day I said out loud "WILL I EVER BE PAIN FREE AGAIN??!!" My 2 surgeries were in Dec. '09, chemo finished in May '10 and rads just finished 2 weeks ago. My pain/swelling are in the breast, under my arm and along my ribs (trunk). My surgeon says because I had so many nodes out (23) this could go on for a long, long time and that it is "NORMAL!!!" Yeah, well, normal feels like crap right now! Sorry, girls.

I guess if this is the only thing I have to deal with for the rest of my life, I should stop the whining.

Betsy--I'm going to try the Bio Oil--I've never heard of it. Where can I get it?

Thanks.

Hugs, Renee

I've been using Bio Oil
    for several years for a few of my scars. My surgeon recommended Vitamin E oil which is essentially what Bio Oil is. I had bilateral mastectomy June 22 and every night I use a cotton ball and in circular motion apply the Bio Oil across my scars. I bought mine in CVS.
    Char
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    missrenee said:

Thanks.

Hugs, Renee

Bio-Oil
    CVS or Rite Aid. Couldn't find it at my Walgreens. It's by the bandaids & scar creams. White box. My husband uses it for his psoriosis. I never thought of using it for my scar.

Cindy
  • Betsy13
    missrenee said:

Thanks.

Hugs, Renee

Bio-oil
    I got it yesterday at Walgreen's. It can be found in any pharmacy. It's a white box with orange labeling (just got more yesterday!).

My scar is almost gone :)

Good luck,
    Betsy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Betsy13 said:

Bio-oil
    I got it yesterday at Walgreen's. It can be found in any pharmacy. It's a white box with orange labeling (just got more yesterday!).

My scar is almost gone :)

Good luck,
    Betsy

Picked up my Bio Oil yesterday.
    Walgreen's actually had a generic (with exactly the same ingredients) and it was much cheaper. I used it last night and this morning. I love the smell of it! Thanks for the tip ladies.

Hugs, Renee
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    missrenee said:

Walgreen's actually had a generic (with exactly the same ingredients) and it was much cheaper. I used it last night and this morning. I love the smell of it! Thanks for the tip ladies.

Hugs, Renee

pain
    Well, for those of us who are still experiencing pain, let me tell you my story, short and sweet. Diagnosed February 2008, lympectomy April 2008, six rounds of TAC completed July 2008, 40 rad treatments completed November 2008, shoulder surgery (bone spur) april 2009, takng Tamoxifen for two years. My oncologist told me (when I asked how long it would take for the pain in my incision area to stop hurting) that some women never lose the pain in that area, as well as the port area. (Guess I am one of those lucky few, cause they are both still sore.) Also have pain in two or three spots on my back, both hips ache, especially at night while laying down, and general aches all over at times. Now, to be realistic about this pain thing, I guess what the onc's should say is, "you may never be free from pain". I take Ativan and Hydroodone three times a day, every day, and am able to function somewhat normal. However, I occasional miss a dosage, and believe me, that is a big mistake. Guess I am a survivor who will be drugged for the rest of my life. In two weeks I go back to see my PCP, oncologist and neurologist, and will insist on a complete body scan and bone scan., This just can't possibly be the normal. Either they need to find the source of my pain, or they need to tell me to take my meds and sit down and shut up. Is anyone else out there like me?, or am I just the bad end of the pain problem. Believe me, I am very pain tolerant, but this is ridiculous. Will let you know after I go through the battery of tests over the next few weeks. hugs, Judy
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    missrenee said:

Hugs, Renee

pain
    Well, for those of us who are still experiencing pain, let me tell you my story, short and sweet. Diagnosed February 2008, lympectomy April 2008, six rounds of TAC completed July 2008, 40 rad treatments completed November 2008, shoulder surgery (bone spur) april 2009, takng Tamoxifen for two years. My oncologist told me (when I asked how long it would take for the pain in my incision area to stop hurting) that some women never lose the pain in that area, as well as the port area. (Guess I am one of those lucky few, cause they are both still sore.) Also have pain in two or three spots on my back, both hips ache, especially at night while laying down, and general aches all over at times. Now, to be realistic about this pain thing, I guess what the onc's should say is, "you may never be free from pain". I take Ativan and Hydroodone three times a day, every day, and am able to function somewhat normal. However, I occasional miss a dosage, and believe me, that is a big mistake. Guess I am a survivor who will be drugged for the rest of my life. In two weeks I go back to see my PCP, oncologist and neurologist, and will insist on a complete body scan and bone scan., This just can't possibly be the normal. Either they need to find the source of my pain, or they need to tell me to take my meds and sit down and shut up. Is anyone else out there like me?, or am I just the bad end of the pain problem. Believe me, I am very pain tolerant, but this is ridiculous. Will let you know after I go through the battery of tests over the next few weeks. hugs, Judy
  • Betsy13

pain

pain
    Wow, Judy...your pain sounds like my fatigue issues. I pray I am at the worst part of the fatigue issues and no one else has to experience this.

Take care of yourself. Please let us know.

Prayers for you,
    Betsy
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

pain

Judy
    I feel for you. I was dx with osteoarthritis 9 years ago. Since 2007 I've had 11 surgeries not counting my bilateral mastectomy. I broke both shoulders and had 9 surgeries between them resulting in no humeral head in left shoulder and I have a prosthetic reverse total shoulder on the right. I had 3 discs fused in my neck and had a torn meniscus repaired on my knee. I wear an unloading knee brace to prevent the bone on bone sliding back and forth. Besides all this I have lumbar spinal stenosis for which I have received injections. I've endured lots of physical therapy which I continue to do on a daily basis. I live with pain every day despite taking arthritis medication. That's why my oncologist requested a PET scan to make sure what pain I'm feeling is not from a tumor. I hope to know the results next Tuesday. I have a fairly good tolerance of pain but there are times I can barely stand or walk. 3 days after getting my Neulasta shot I'm in pretty bad shape and it's even difficult to lay flat on my back. I hope you get some answers other than it's normal. No one should have to live with pain all the time. It's very stressful. There are protocols for pain management. Good luck.
    Gentle {{hugs}} Char