Lung cancer complications from AVASTIN

Options
3Mana
3Mana Member Posts: 811
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My husband was diagnosed in January with Lung cancer. It had spread & he had lesions in his brain as well as his spine. He had 10 radiation treatments on his spine & brain and the lesions were greatly diminished. Then he started chemo and had one treatment of 3 kinds, one of which was AVASTIN. Before his next treatment, he started coughing up blood. We went to see the onocologist before the next chemo. They did a MRI and said things were looking good and the tumor was shrinking. So they gave him another chemo treatment, without the AVASTIN. On March 25th, we watched TV at night. At 8:00 he ate some yogurt & seemed okay. But at 10:00 when he went up to brush his teeth, all of a sudden he pounded on the floor. I ran upstairs to find him hemmoraging and there was blood all over. I felt helpless and laid him down on the floor cause he was collapsing. I called 911. They worked on him for 1/2 hour but it was too late & the love of my life was gone. Has anyone else experienced this hemmoraging???

Comments

• stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Avastin
    I'm so sorry, 3Mana. I'm reading at Chemocare.com, and I see that hemorrhage is listed as one of the rare complications from this drug. It must have been awful for you :(
    Deb
  • sunshine_is_007
    sunshine_is_007 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Avastin. . .
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I just wanted to respond as I have been on Avastin. I know that they warned me right from the start , that, Avastin could cause bleeding problems. I couldnt even make a dental appointment for a routine cleaning, for fear that the avastin may have thinned the blood.That is one of the risks of taking these drugs, you just never know.It scares me to be taking all these treatments, but, I dont like the alternative. I want to live ! Just as your husband did....which is why we take the risk. Again, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.
  • 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Options

Avastin. . .
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I just wanted to respond as I have been on Avastin. I know that they warned me right from the start , that, Avastin could cause bleeding problems. I couldnt even make a dental appointment for a routine cleaning, for fear that the avastin may have thinned the blood.That is one of the risks of taking these drugs, you just never know.It scares me to be taking all these treatments, but, I dont like the alternative. I want to live ! Just as your husband did....which is why we take the risk. Again, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

Think positive!
    Sunshine,
    Try to think positive. The complication my husband had was very "RARE". It was just such a shock cause things seemed to be looking better. He had just been diagnosed in January, so we didn't have time to prepare.
    Keep in touch so I know how you're doing!! I'll say a prayrer for you!!