Can anyone recommend a good PS for a Latissimus Dorsi Flap in Arizona?

Options
nancyrsmith
nancyrsmith Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have had several consultations with various PS in the Phoenix area. It seems they all agree that my best option is a Lat. Flap. My problem is that most of the doctors that do these surgeries have only been practicing on their own for a few years or less. It is hard to find good reviews. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me regarding PS. Good and BAD! Also, does anyone know how I can find out how many lat flap procedures doctors actually perform? Other than asking and trusting that they are telling you the truth. It seems like they should have to report what surgeries they do to someone????

Thanks,
Nancy

Comments

  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi Nancy
    I dont live in

    Hi Nancy
    I dont live in Arizonia so i cant help you out with that issue, but i just wanted to say welcome to the board.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

    Hi Nancy
    I dont live in

    Hi Nancy
    I dont live in Arizonia so i cant help you out with that issue, but i just wanted to say welcome to the board.

    Nancy,
    You might check with

    Nancy,

    You might check with your employer or health insurance carrier to see whether they provide a service that can research this for you. My company contracts with Health Advocates. They actually checked for providers contracted with my insurer and did a full background of their qualifications, education, complaints, etc. It was invaluable for info for treatment and for 2nd opinions, etc. Its worth a call to check.

    Chickadee
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    PS in AZ
    Nancy,
    I talked with a PS prior to my bilat mast. He was highly recommended by my surgeon. I don't know if he does lat flap surgery - I assume he does. His last name was Jacobsen and he worked out of the AZ Biltmore office building. His office was POSH! He talked with me in terms of implants at the time (I haven't done anything so far but still it's on my mind all the time). Why does your PS think this is your best option?
    Beth
  • nancyrsmith
    nancyrsmith Member Posts: 8
    Options
    BethInAz said:

    PS in AZ
    Nancy,
    I talked with a PS prior to my bilat mast. He was highly recommended by my surgeon. I don't know if he does lat flap surgery - I assume he does. His last name was Jacobsen and he worked out of the AZ Biltmore office building. His office was POSH! He talked with me in terms of implants at the time (I haven't done anything so far but still it's on my mind all the time). Why does your PS think this is your best option?
    Beth

    Ok thank you so much. I
    Ok thank you so much. I actually have heard of Dr. Jacobsen. I will call Monday and find out if he does Lat flaps. My PS right now has been very good but he no longer does flap procedures and my skin after radiation will not heal with the expanders in. I have had previous surgery on my tummy so that means I am not a canidate for a tram or diep flap. Plus, i think there is a better chance at the lat flap surviving because they do not have to reconnect the blood supply.
  • nancyrsmith
    nancyrsmith Member Posts: 8
    Options

    Nancy,
    You might check with

    Nancy,

    You might check with your employer or health insurance carrier to see whether they provide a service that can research this for you. My company contracts with Health Advocates. They actually checked for providers contracted with my insurer and did a full background of their qualifications, education, complaints, etc. It was invaluable for info for treatment and for 2nd opinions, etc. Its worth a call to check.

    Chickadee

    Thank you for the
    Thank you for the suggestion. I am with Cigna, so I will give them a call Monday and see if they have any type of records showing how many lat flap surgeries different doctors perform.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Don't Know about Arizona...
    BUT if you're willing to travel, there is one of the BEST in the country in Chicago. His name is Dr. David Song out of the University of Chicago. His info is on the website. He is just phenomenal. I know it's kinda far to travel, but it's worth it IMO. Every other doctor that has seen my reconstruction has been just amazed and said it's the best they've ever seen. Especially my ob-gyn. She said she has seen more bad ones that good ones.

    So...if traveling somewhere is an option for you, I'd seriously consider it.

    Here's a link with his bio information if you're interested. The link is:

    http://www.uchospitals.edu/physicians/david-song.html

    There's also a great doctore (actually I think Dr. Song trained with him) named Dr. Robert Allen in South Carolina and NYC offices. I almost went to him, but then found Dr. Song was right in my own backyard! I had my Lat Flap done in 2006. Couldn't be happier with the results.

    The link for Dr. Allen is:
    http://www.diepflap.com/about-drallen.html

    Good luck in your search. I know it's kinda of a major pain to travel, but I think it's worth it to get the job done right!:) JMO.

    Sally
  • nancyrsmith
    nancyrsmith Member Posts: 8
    Options
    sal314 said:

    Don't Know about Arizona...
    BUT if you're willing to travel, there is one of the BEST in the country in Chicago. His name is Dr. David Song out of the University of Chicago. His info is on the website. He is just phenomenal. I know it's kinda far to travel, but it's worth it IMO. Every other doctor that has seen my reconstruction has been just amazed and said it's the best they've ever seen. Especially my ob-gyn. She said she has seen more bad ones that good ones.

    So...if traveling somewhere is an option for you, I'd seriously consider it.

    Here's a link with his bio information if you're interested. The link is:

    http://www.uchospitals.edu/physicians/david-song.html

    There's also a great doctore (actually I think Dr. Song trained with him) named Dr. Robert Allen in South Carolina and NYC offices. I almost went to him, but then found Dr. Song was right in my own backyard! I had my Lat Flap done in 2006. Couldn't be happier with the results.

    The link for Dr. Allen is:
    http://www.diepflap.com/about-drallen.html

    Good luck in your search. I know it's kinda of a major pain to travel, but I think it's worth it to get the job done right!:) JMO.

    Sally

    Thank you Sally, I have
    Thank you Sally, I have actually come across Dr. Allen's website several times while doing online searches. I have considered doing a consult with him. I just wonder how many trips I would end up making if I ended up using him as the surgeon. If I knew I could do it in 3 trips or less, I would not even hesitate. But, because of my history with multiple surgeries and complications, I am afraid that it would really drain the bank account. My husband would also want to come with me because he has been with me through everything. Each time we go, we would be looking at hotel stays, meals and airline fees. Then I worry that if I come home and have an issue, its not like I can just run to his office and have him take a look at me. I really wish I could find someone locally that has a good amount of experience, lots of before and after pictures, and that I felt like I could trust. Even if I could find someone in Southern California, we could drive and only be about 5 to 6 hours away from home.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options

    Thank you Sally, I have
    Thank you Sally, I have actually come across Dr. Allen's website several times while doing online searches. I have considered doing a consult with him. I just wonder how many trips I would end up making if I ended up using him as the surgeon. If I knew I could do it in 3 trips or less, I would not even hesitate. But, because of my history with multiple surgeries and complications, I am afraid that it would really drain the bank account. My husband would also want to come with me because he has been with me through everything. Each time we go, we would be looking at hotel stays, meals and airline fees. Then I worry that if I come home and have an issue, its not like I can just run to his office and have him take a look at me. I really wish I could find someone locally that has a good amount of experience, lots of before and after pictures, and that I felt like I could trust. Even if I could find someone in Southern California, we could drive and only be about 5 to 6 hours away from home.

    I TOTALLY Understand...
    You may want to give them a call and just talk with them. I'm sure they run across that question often. I would also check with your insurance company to find out what may or may not be covered? And you may want to look on his website again. Seems I recall a page that had other doctors listed around the country that had trained with Dr. Allen? I'll look and if I find any info. I'll let ya know.

    I totally lucked out having Dr. Song so close. I too was considering traveling, but the thought of it was very unappealing.

    Good luck. There has to be a good doc somewhere realatively close to you!!

    Blessings,
    Sally
  • nancyrsmith
    nancyrsmith Member Posts: 8
    Options
    sal314 said:

    I TOTALLY Understand...
    You may want to give them a call and just talk with them. I'm sure they run across that question often. I would also check with your insurance company to find out what may or may not be covered? And you may want to look on his website again. Seems I recall a page that had other doctors listed around the country that had trained with Dr. Allen? I'll look and if I find any info. I'll let ya know.

    I totally lucked out having Dr. Song so close. I too was considering traveling, but the thought of it was very unappealing.

    Good luck. There has to be a good doc somewhere realatively close to you!!

    Blessings,
    Sally

    Thank you soooo much. I will
    Thank you soooo much. I will check his website again.

    Nancy