5 Down 3 to Go!!!!

Options
Hubby
Hubby Member Posts: 325
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
First Taxol is done; just waiting for the fallout from it. It really does seem like this is taking forever; and that is a really long treatment; 10:30 (onc appt) out at about 4:30; crazy long. No real problem except for a little kind of stoned feeling and burning feeling in her veins for 5 minutes during the benedryl drip before the Taxol.

Also an appearance by the woman Donna and I call "Chemo Nurse from Hell" who just finished her own breast cancer treatment, and who felt compelled to start talking about her alergic reaction to Taxol. And then after the good chemo nurse said we were looking for some positive reinforcement, continued to talk about it. I finally told her that her talking about her treatment wasn't helping, and she should stop (kind of a paraphrasing of Traci's if this story doesn't have a happy ending... line). After that everything went smoothly.

Thanks for all of the support.

Bob

Comments

  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Good to hear!
    I hope Donna goes through the remainder of her Taxol treatments with no side effects!

    I get my 4th round of AC combo on Sept. 1st, and then I start Taxol on Sept. 15th.

    Keep us posted on Donna's progress!
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    On the downhill side!
    Glad to hear that it went pretty smoothly for Donna (except for the numbskull nurse).

    Hope that her side effects will be minimal and she will get through her last 3 with relative ease.

    I don't have to tell you to take good care of her, we all know you're doing a great job at that already.

    Hugs,
    Cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

    On the downhill side!
    Glad to hear that it went pretty smoothly for Donna (except for the numbskull nurse).

    Hope that her side effects will be minimal and she will get through her last 3 with relative ease.

    I don't have to tell you to take good care of her, we all know you're doing a great job at that already.

    Hugs,
    Cindy

    glad you spoke up, I am
    glad you spoke up, I am trying to do this but sometimes I just suffer in silence. does Donna have a port? I got the same reaction once from the benadryl but cant remember what they called it. It was in an IV whose vein had seen better days. The first treatment goes for a while to make sure you dont have a reaction, then the subsequent ones go quicker. so glad it went well and hoping she does not have bad s/e. congrats on crossing another one off your list.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    carkris said:

    glad you spoke up, I am
    glad you spoke up, I am trying to do this but sometimes I just suffer in silence. does Donna have a port? I got the same reaction once from the benadryl but cant remember what they called it. It was in an IV whose vein had seen better days. The first treatment goes for a while to make sure you dont have a reaction, then the subsequent ones go quicker. so glad it went well and hoping she does not have bad s/e. congrats on crossing another one off your list.

    Bob
    I will first admit that i didnt read this post. I have read your others though. I wanted to tell you thank you for not giving up on your wife and being there. She is very blessed to have you.

    laura
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Only 3 more!
    The light at the end of the tunnel! Hope all continues to go well.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

    Only 3 more!
    The light at the end of the tunnel! Hope all continues to go well.

    3 2 1 it's finished, done.
    Almost out of the tunnel. Just hold on it's a comin.
    Stoned feeling? why didn't I feel the stoned feeling, I got cheated again.
    It's been 5 months since chemo ended for me seeing the blue recliner still gives me butterflies in my stomach. That is one place I WILL NOT miss.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

    3 2 1 it's finished, done.
    Almost out of the tunnel. Just hold on it's a comin.
    Stoned feeling? why didn't I feel the stoned feeling, I got cheated again.
    It's been 5 months since chemo ended for me seeing the blue recliner still gives me butterflies in my stomach. That is one place I WILL NOT miss.

    No stoned feeling here. Glad
    No stoned feeling here. Glad you counting down to the end. Taxol was not as hard on me as AC was. Hope she does well on it. Almost over.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

    No stoned feeling here. Glad
    No stoned feeling here. Glad you counting down to the end. Taxol was not as hard on me as AC was. Hope she does well on it. Almost over.

    wow I wasnt stoned but I
    wow I wasnt stoned but I always fell in a deep sleep, they hated to wake me up from. I think it was the benadryl. I used to get hyper from benadryl, so I was really anxious, but I guess my body chemistry changed and I was fine. I missed out too, I had offers to get me some help but I said no, especially with teenagers in the house. LOL
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    You are a
    great guy standing by your woman! I'm glad you spoke up re nurse from hell. You don't need that. I'm fortunate that every nurse in my chemo room is great! Glad Donna is on the countdown. Hopefully she will escape with few side effects. I have a port. I never had a stoned feeling. For a couple of days my face felt strange though. {{Hugs}}
    Char
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    No Port; No Sleep
    Donna doesn't have and really didn't want a port, so maybe that had something to do with the feeling in her veins. I woke up at 3 in the morning last night and realized I was alone in the bed, and found Donna on the couch reading. We didn't realize that the Decadron and Benadryl drip would make her wired. We'll see if she sleeps tonight. Otherwise she seems to be doing well.

    Bob
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hubby said:

    No Port; No Sleep
    Donna doesn't have and really didn't want a port, so maybe that had something to do with the feeling in her veins. I woke up at 3 in the morning last night and realized I was alone in the bed, and found Donna on the couch reading. We didn't realize that the Decadron and Benadryl drip would make her wired. We'll see if she sleeps tonight. Otherwise she seems to be doing well.

    Bob

    Bob just wanted to let you
    Bob just wanted to let you know...YOU ARE AWESOME!
    Donna is a very lucky woman...even thou this BC has been very taxing on the relationship and you still may not see that light yet but i know you two will do your best to ride it out till the light gets bigger and bigger.
    Im glad Donna is doing good!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

    Bob just wanted to let you
    Bob just wanted to let you know...YOU ARE AWESOME!
    Donna is a very lucky woman...even thou this BC has been very taxing on the relationship and you still may not see that light yet but i know you two will do your best to ride it out till the light gets bigger and bigger.
    Im glad Donna is doing good!

    decadron definately makes
    decadron definately makes you wired, benadryl usually makes you sleepy, but you can have the opposite effect. Hubby you are definately up for sainthood, nobody will allow me to complain about my husband anymore , he is a saint too, his halo is such he glows in the dark.!! thank goodness for you guys!
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    jo jo said:

    Bob just wanted to let you
    Bob just wanted to let you know...YOU ARE AWESOME!
    Donna is a very lucky woman...even thou this BC has been very taxing on the relationship and you still may not see that light yet but i know you two will do your best to ride it out till the light gets bigger and bigger.
    Im glad Donna is doing good!

    Thanks for the complement
    Just as long as that light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train. I'm doing what I can do, and don't always say or do the right things, but at least I try. It is nice to get my ego boosted on this site.

    She IS doing good (knock on wood)after this first taxol!!