Help for the caregiver

teacher9
teacher9 Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Does anyone know of a volunteer organization that would come into my home a few days a week and help me with yard work, cleaning, laundry, errands? My hubbies energy level is just done and he really can't help me. I work 2 jobs to keep things going here, and friends have not really been helping. the 2 or 3 that do, I don't feel like I can burden them EVERY week.

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Contact the American Cancer Society
    They may know of such groups - I know they are out there. Also, any other cancer support groups that are out there.

Also, ask at your church or synagogue - I had offers to help clean from the community outreach groups.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Help
    Contact a Gilda's Club, they are a wealth of information. Google them.

Also, make a list of all the things you need help with, be specific and not just general, then politely ask if anyone can help me out it would really be appreciated. Also, state directly why you need the help, then put this in an e-mail and mail it to all your contacts. Generally speaking, family, friends and neighbors really do want to help but just don't know your needs. Personally, I would leave laundry and running errands off the list, they really have no idea what kind of errands you need done but if you were to put yard work, grocery shopping , etc. hopefully you phone will start ringing.

A friend of a friend did this and the neighbors came over and told her they didn't know she needed help with the yard work and they just started doing it.

Goood luck - Tina
  • kimmygarland
    kimmygarland Member Posts: 312
    geotina said:

Help
    Contact a Gilda's Club, they are a wealth of information. Google them.

Also, make a list of all the things you need help with, be specific and not just general, then politely ask if anyone can help me out it would really be appreciated. Also, state directly why you need the help, then put this in an e-mail and mail it to all your contacts. Generally speaking, family, friends and neighbors really do want to help but just don't know your needs. Personally, I would leave laundry and running errands off the list, they really have no idea what kind of errands you need done but if you were to put yard work, grocery shopping , etc. hopefully you phone will start ringing.

A friend of a friend did this and the neighbors came over and told her they didn't know she needed help with the yard work and they just started doing it.

Goood luck - Tina

No Suggestions
    But just wanted to say, thinking of you, and hoping you find the help you need.
  • teacher9
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone, I already go to Gilda's Club, so I will ask them when I am there. I left a msg for Livestrong today so hopefully they will call me back. As far as being specific, I totally am! My best friend just offered to meet me with any groceries/drug store things I need next week. Thank god!
  • Rita3710
    Rita3710 Member Posts: 14
    "Cleaning for a Reason" organization
    Hi...I received this email from my future daughter-in-law about this orgainization.....They don't happen to be in my area of the country and I am not sure if they will help if the cancer survivor is male, but it is certainly worth looking into!

I would like to pass this wonderful information along and hope that some one could benefit from this!!

Cleaning for a Reason

If you know any woman currently undergoing chemo, please pass the word to her that there is a cleaning service that provides FREE housecleaning - 1 time per month for 4 months while she is in treatment. All she has to do is sign up and have her doctor fax a note confirming the treatment.

Cleaning for a Reason will have a participating maid service in her zip code area arrange for the service. This organization serves the entire USA and currently has 547 partners to help these women. It’s our job to pass the word and let them know that there are people out there that care.

Be a blessing to someone and pass this information along.

http://www.cleaningforareason.org/

Pass it on!
  • Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    novel resource
    Chemo Sabe is a novel resource, but some communities have active organizations:

http://chemo-sabe.org/
  • teacher9
    Barbara53 said:

novel resource
    Chemo Sabe is a novel resource, but some communities have active organizations:

http://chemo-sabe.org/

Thank you
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Cleaning for a Reason is not in my area :( I keep on trying but there is not much in Sussex County NJ. As soon as we are past this cancer I think I am going to try and bring some of these organizations here.