Modesty is no more!

Options
2»

Comments

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

while in the hospital for my
    while in the hospital for my bilateral mastectomy with snb, i was in so much pain i could not even wipe myself after i peed. i had a very nice male nursing assistant help me to the bathroom.i told him i needed him to stay as i was very unsteady and in a lot of pain.he was kind of taken aback, esp when i asked him to help me wipe. he wanted to make sure it was ok cuz he was male. i said i really dont care, i cant do it myself and if you have two hands to help, i am grateful!! he wiped me, not the best lol, but was grateful to have a pair of hands be they male or female!!!

Modesty? Ha!
    Breast surgeon - male
    Medical oncologist - female
    Radiation oncologist - female
    Gynecologic oncologist - male
    Radiologists for biopsies and ultrasounds - both
    Primary Care physician - female
    Radiation techs - both
    Mammography techs - female

Wow, we have lots of physicians looking at us, don't we?

Because these folks are part of a teaching institution, they often have others with them (residents or students - all children!), but they do ask permission which I always grant. I really don't mind showing my breasts to health care peeps because one of them was sick and needs to be looked after, but I've never been comfortable with pelvic exams. Unfortunately for me, that was sick, too.

Gender of the physician doesn't really matter to me. Competence does. It is what it is. At my age, I know no one is having any sexual fantasies about me . . . Sigh.

Suzanne
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

while in the hospital for my
    while in the hospital for my bilateral mastectomy with snb, i was in so much pain i could not even wipe myself after i peed. i had a very nice male nursing assistant help me to the bathroom.i told him i needed him to stay as i was very unsteady and in a lot of pain.he was kind of taken aback, esp when i asked him to help me wipe. he wanted to make sure it was ok cuz he was male. i said i really dont care, i cant do it myself and if you have two hands to help, i am grateful!! he wiped me, not the best lol, but was grateful to have a pair of hands be they male or female!!!

Modesty
    I know what you mean about modesty.I've had long term hospital stays and alot of testing. As soon as the doctors came in I was ready to be probed.

I did have other strange things happen.I got up one night and decided to check what time it was.I had no clock in my room and no watch.So at 2 in the morning I open the door.My hosp gown wasopened in the back.I thought no one would be awake at 2 am.I was wrong.Heard a voice.As I turned around a guy(Another patient) Said "Good Morning".I grabbed the back of my gown and flew in my room.I wouldn't walk down that end of the hall after that.My tail was well exposed.

Another situation. I was in alot of pain. I had to go for a X RAY.A guy wheeled me down.I had nothing under my gown.He asked me if I wanted him to help me jump off the hosp cart.Well I started getting down myself.Just as I did my gown went almost to my waist.I about died.Maybe I should have asked for help !!!!! You know how we are.Think we can do it alone.

One more.I had rectal surgery.I was in the hospital. Was getting my shower just as the doctor was doing rounds.He asked the nurse where I was.She said in the shower.He started towards the shower.The nurse said "you can't go in there".He did anyway.WHy not he operated on me there and he needed to check the area.

I know very well the feeling of not being as modest as I used to be.I've had enough hospital stays and doctor visits.

Lynn Smith