newly diagnosed and full of anxiety

Options
2»

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome anaumann!
    I didnt find this site till i was done with chemo and man i really could of used these good caring loving informative people before then..so im glad you found this site early.
    I didnt sleep much either when i found out but its alot of information to take in...your going to be getting a crash course in breast cancer thats for sure...just remember to breath...we are all here for ya!
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    Options
    These women are so right . .
    These women are so right . . . this is a wonderful site. I found this site after dx & treatments - I wish I would have found this earlier.

I had an early stage cancer in my rt breast - had a mastectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy, where they found some micrometasteses in 2 of the sentinel nodes - so I then had an axillary lymph node dissection. I was on my computer CONSTANTLY - looking up as much information as I could about cancer. I always brought a list of questions to my surgeon (who was wonderful). I should mention that I changed my healthcare provider when I did not like the first surgeon I had an appointment with - and have been so happy that I did that. I was scheduled for chemo, which was cancelled after a low recurrence score on the Oncotype Dx Assay. But I did have 27 radiation treatments - got burned & sore - but made it through ok.

I have definitely had my ups & downs emotionally during and after all of this (I should have purchased stock in Kleenex). These wonderful women understand all that - they've been there - and we've all been where you are - so just know that you can come here for support whenever you need to.

Wishing you the best as you move forward - please keep us updated on how things go. I will be keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

♥ Lynn ♥
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-(
    Hello Anaumann I am pleased to meet you but sad it is for this reason. You have taken a great first step by coming to his site as this is a great place to get support and understanding. I would say it is best to try and take it one day at a time and try not to over think your situation too soon. I know you are scared beyond belief right now, but please know that this is doable and you can get through this. We will be here for support, guidance and sometimes even a laugh or two, yes we laugh here also. I myself am a survivor and was a caregiver to both my mom and sister. Please know that there is hope and there is a future for you. Come back and let us know how things go with your surgeon, I wish you all the best.

*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ RE
  • anaumann
    anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks
    Thanks for the welcoming messages. I hope I can get to a place where I am able to more calmly make decisions and someday offer assistance to others as you have done. My second biopsy was yesterday. At the hospital and afterward I was less anxious than I was all weekend. Again today I woke up very agitated. I don't understand the abbreviations and types of cancer. I am sure you are all right that I will feel better when I have answers, but I don't want to spend the entire day on this. thanks, ann
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It Is Overwhelming, BUT...
    like others have said, you've come to the right place for support and answers. Waiting is the hardest part because you don't know what your situation is yet. Just try to stay positive and remind yourself that having "breast cancer" isn't the end all!! There all SO MANY of us survivors out there!!

YOu can and will get through this! One step at a time!:)

Praying for peace for you:)

Sally
  • anaumann
    Options

This is a good place to
    This is a good place to start. The survivors here are wonderful. You will get all the support and understanding that you need. The waiting and not knowing is harder than anything.

I only had a single tumor 1.5 cm, ER+/PR+ Her2+,in my left breast. I had a lumpecotmy in Sep 09. I have heard of ladies that had lumpectomies in both breasts. Depends on the size of the tumors and the stage of the cancer. Ask your surgeon for his recommendation and then do the research. Always check with your doctor. Everyone is different and we can only comment on our own circumstances and what we have heard and read from other's posts. I had chemo, 6 rounds, finished on 26 Feb. I had rads, 33 treatments, finished on 2 Jul. I am currently taking Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year and will finish that in Dec. Femara for 5 years.

Welcome to the boards just wish it was under different circumstances.

Hugs

Donna

THANKS
    Donna,

It is helpful to know so many people want to help. I do not know what your abbreviations mean or what questions to ask. I met with a surgeon at the time I rec'd my results because I was preparing for the steriotatic biopsy of my other breast. He just told us it was small-2mm and it was noninvasive type; but of the noninvasive types it was the most invasive. When my husband called for more specifics he was told ; invasive lobular and in situ. Im searching for an oncologist and plan to talk to my family dr and go back to the surgeon for my second results Thursday. Im looking for info but don't want to spend my whole day doing this.
    ann
  • anaumann
    Options
    Yamil_me said:

Trust in yourself.........

This is a though ride but hold on my dear. Believe, you will be all right after all. Everyone experience cancer somewhat differently but anxiety is OOOOKKKK. Ativan will help so as ambian for sleep. Talk to your each one of you team members (doctors, nurses, dietician), ask lots of questions. You will learn much on how to beat up this horrible disease. Keep a positive mind, It can be difficult. Ask your doctor what stage your breast cancer is and fight with everything you are. If I beat stage 2b/3a you can as well. This is my first day here. Eat well, walk and drink plenty and follow closely with your doctors.

Keep faith and stay gentle to your own self

Thanks
    Your the first to mention drugs for anxiety and sleep. I was beginning to think I was the only one who needs help with sleep. I feel I could handle it all better if I could get a good nights sleep. ann
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    So sorry you are going through this, but we understand. From your earlier post it sounds like you have LCIS (lobular carcinoma in situ). As far as cancers go, this is actually good news. In situ is a non-invasive cancer that has an extremely low probability of metastisizing. You are going to be fine. The days ahead will be scary and confusing, but take them slowly and don't be afraid to ask questions. You deserve to have all of your questions and concerns addressed by your doctors. Don't be shy. This is your body and you are paying the health care professionals to take care of you. Here is a website that has a list of questions you might want to consider asking.
    http://www.caring.com/articles/questions-to-ask-oncologist-about-breast-cancer

Good luck with everything. Post here whenever you have any questions or just want to talk.

Mimi
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Welcome to this wonderful
    Welcome to this wonderful place! So sorry about your reason for being here, but believe me it will help you. The initial diagnosis of the big "C" is soooo scary. I just wanted to get the surgery over with as soon as possible and get it all out of me. I ended up only having a tiny tumor on my right side, but elected for a bilateral mastectomy because lobular caner tends to appear in the other breast. I never wanted to go through that fear again. If you have to have a mastectomy, don't worry, it's really not that bad. I'm scheduled for my 2nd surgery Aug 26th to exchange the awful expanders for my permanent implants. My journey began April 13th with the diagnosis, mastectomy May 4 and now I'm almost done! It's unfortunate and uncomfortable, but doable. Keep your chin up and fight girl! You have lots of support on this site. If you'd like to talk, email me at hoop77@sbcglobal.net.

Hugs,
    Laura
  • anaumann
    Options

hi :)
    Hi and again welcome :) this site is the best resource you'll find - I started coming here in June, while I was waiting for my biopsy results from a lump in my right breast. My best advice for you is to read & research as much as you feel comfortable- it really helped me to feel more in control at a time when I felt like my entire life was spiraling out of control. Any time I have a question (which is often) - I know that I can count on the great ladies and men on here to help me out. I know how scary it is in the beginning with having to make surgery decisions, educate yourself, and if possible, meet with your oncologist and a plastic surgeon before you make any surgical decisions, I did that and I'm so glad I did. I was given the choice between a lumpectomy + chemo + radiation or mastectomy + chemo. It's a very personal decision, but there are so many different factors with each different procedure, and I found talking with the other doctors beforehand really helped to better inform me and help reach my decision.
    If you have any questions please ask away! You can private message me on here also if you'd like.
    *big hugs*
    Heather

how are you
    Heather,
    How did you get through the days and nights waiting for results? I should hear tomorrow and I am still very anxious. At times I feel like I may have an anxiety attack. I can't seem to do things as usually which I know would help keep my mind occupied.

How are you doing? What surgery decision did you choose? thanks for your welcome. ann
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    hoop77 said:

Welcome to this wonderful
    Welcome to this wonderful place! So sorry about your reason for being here, but believe me it will help you. The initial diagnosis of the big "C" is soooo scary. I just wanted to get the surgery over with as soon as possible and get it all out of me. I ended up only having a tiny tumor on my right side, but elected for a bilateral mastectomy because lobular caner tends to appear in the other breast. I never wanted to go through that fear again. If you have to have a mastectomy, don't worry, it's really not that bad. I'm scheduled for my 2nd surgery Aug 26th to exchange the awful expanders for my permanent implants. My journey began April 13th with the diagnosis, mastectomy May 4 and now I'm almost done! It's unfortunate and uncomfortable, but doable. Keep your chin up and fight girl! You have lots of support on this site. If you'd like to talk, email me at hoop77@sbcglobal.net.

Hugs,
    Laura

Welcome
    Like so many have said, sorry you had to be here, but this has been my God send since I found these wonderful strong ladies. If you ever have a question or need ANYTHING just come here and you will get everything you need.
    Hugs and Prayers,
    Wanda
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Welcome anaumann!
    I didnt find this site till i was done with chemo and man i really could of used these good caring loving informative people before then..so im glad you found this site early.
    I didnt sleep much either when i found out but its alot of information to take in...your going to be getting a crash course in breast cancer thats for sure...just remember to breath...we are all here for ya!

Like jojo, I didn't find
    Like jojo, I didn't find this site until I was done with chemo and I really could have used it then. But it still brings me great comfort and to know others have gone through or are going through the same things as you, really helps.
    God bless!